Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new 2nd job

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Yet somehow the rest of us manage

Is that another job where a tip is expected?
    no, no tip required

i like that i don't have to pump my own gas--stay in a nice warm car in the winter,ac for the summer and forget about getting wet, not only that your hands won't reak of gas.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

So really why can't ppl pump their own gas?

Some type of union thing?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

To keep from blowing yourself or the station to high hell. The attendants wear special gloves to keep static electricity from igniting the gas fumes. Like all of the NO SMOKING signs ya see on the pumps. BIG no-no.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Does Maryland or Virginia have a similar law? I pumped my own gas on the way to OBX and got yelled at somewhere.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    To keep from blowing yourself or the station to high hell. The attendants wear special gloves to keep static electricity from igniting the gas fumes. Like all of the NO SMOKING signs ya see on the pumps. BIG no-no.
    Come on, blowing oneself up is highly unlikely and people rarely injure themselves from pump fires. Here's a quote from a reading I found,

“There are 11 billion fill-ups a year,” he said. “This is the second fatality we know of. That makes the chances of dying this way, what, two in tens of billions,” he said
    Seems stupid to me, not saying its bad the OP found a job. That's good.

But the whole deal of not being allowed to fill your own car up is just another retarded law/rule Jersey has.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

Must be a Jersey thing. The rest of the world seems to not have a problem fueling their cars. I'm not picking on you or the OP directly, just find it humorist that NJ mandates this.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I dunno. I have only been to Pa and Albany, NY and pumped my own gas. I like pumping my own gas. I must have been a Pennsylvanian or upstate New Yorker in a past life.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Come on, blowing oneself up is highly unlikely and people rarely injure themselves from pump fires. Here's a quote from a reading I found,

Seems stupid to me, not saying its bad the OP found a job. That's good.

But the whole deal of not being allowed to fill your own car up is just another retarded law/rule Jersey has.
    I agree with ya. Here in NJ, if you have a modded car and don't streetrace it or have points on your license, you "don't deserve your car". I had a nappy-@$$ POS 19 year old tell me that. Man...did I wanna put a .357 through his skull.

It just flat-out sucks here. This is WHY I enjoy the open spaces of Pa so much.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

I agree with ya. Here in NJ, if you have a modded car and don't streetrace it or have points on your license, you "don't deserve your car". I had a nappy-@$$ POS 19 year old tell me that. Man...did I wanna put a .357 through his skull.

It just flat-out sucks here. This is WHY I enjoy the open spaces of Pa so much.
    That coming from a kid that thinks driving a car requires a X-box or PS3 controller. Bitch-slap should have been issued.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

There is way more to it than that it also has to deal with topping off the tank. you are not supposed to because there is a hose inside the hose, one fills the car while the other sucks out the vapors. That in turn is sent to the tanks in the ground. when the truck fills those tanks again it also picks up those vapors to be taken back to be turned into fuel somehow. at least that was what I had to read as part of my training. There is also the gascan issue where your not to fill in up while in the trunk of a car ect. you have to take it out and set it on the concrete after inspecting the can to make sure it is safe and approved by certain companies. Nothing was said to me about gloves, but no cell phones are to be used and definatley no smoking (good thing I quit). Another thing is it prevents drive offs. it also helps keeep the equipment in better shape. If an attendant runs the pumps they will be able to tell if it isn't acting right and they can get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Does Maryland or Virginia have a similar law? I pumped my own gas on the way to OBX and got yelled at somewhere.
    must have been maryland because you can pump your own gas in VA, although I have been in areas of PA that wouldn't allow you to pump your own gas.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Oh I don't expect to be tipped, it just happens sometimes. I also wish every gas station had pump attendants. it would help get the unemployed working again,help lower fuel costs by less drive offs,spills ect. It shouldn't raise the cost of the fuel because the fuel prices are the same here as they are back home where you are allowed to pump your own fuel.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Good to hear you have a 2nd job you enjoy. What station? Here is the Jersey state anthem. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsfV5PdMjLE[/ame]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information