Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

in texas....20yrs=classic....30=antique....at least thats what insurance company told me when i insured the vette.

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    in texas....20yrs=classic....30=antique....at least thats what insurance company told me when i insured the vette.
    That's pretty close to how it was in Ohio. The DMV had tags for each depending on which catagory your car fell under.
    The best part about the antique tags (they were actually called Historical vehicles in Ohio),,,they only cost $12 (the last set I bought) and they are good for the life of the car.
    But the collector tags had to be renewed yearly.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's pretty close to how it was in Ohio. The DMV had tags for each depending on which catagory your car fell under.
    The best part about the antique tags (they were actually called Historical vehicles in Ohio),,,they only cost $12 (the last set I bought) and they are good for the life of the car.
    But the collector tags had to be renewed yearly.
    the insurance for classic vehicles is quite cheap as well...although there is a yearly milage restriction....but that can be fixed by disconnectiong the odometer cable.

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    the insurance for classic vehicles is quite cheap as well...although there is a yearly milage restriction....but that can be fixed by disconnectiong the odometer cable.
    I use Grundy on all my classic stuff now. No mileage limits with them.

I never understood that limit stuff anyway,,,most of them I checked with years ago limited you to 2,000 miles a year That's not even an oil change

Shucks, we'd go on one rod run a couple states away and put 1,100 miles on the car in one weekend,,,,so that mileage limit crap doesn't work with us too well. I have classic cars to enjoy,,,not sit around.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Get the title first. Since it isn't a high dollar collectible might be a good car to learn some things on. Here in NY they don't do emissions on cars over 25 years old anymore. If it is the same there you will be free to do what you want.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

yea well the title and all that isnt my problem its theres. i just know if they decide to keep it im gonnna be doing majority of the work but it would be nice to show them some stuff along the way. but on the flip side its taking up some precious garage space

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i'd sport a yugo with pride...drive that little guy everywhere! i'd even get a windshield banner.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

To me, a "classic" has to be a desireable car (subjective), 20+ years old, and maintained or restored close to how it came off the showroom floor. IE: Owner-pride.

However, once you exceed say....40 years, then I'd call it a classic regardless of condition.

64 Mustang in primer and rusty 1/4 panels = still a classic

ragged-out 84 Mustang, =/= classic

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    heres the story. my little brother isnt so smart first off. him and his friends bought a car a couple years ago to fix up. 1984 auto z28 305 HO. the body has some rust, trunk hatch wont open, and other small stuff like that. But it actually looks like it has a 9" in the rear. anyway they had a 'mechanic' come over and try to fix it to running condition so they could start modding. the guy completely messed it up, he left hoses hangin off the block, capped some, and fitted some to others. he had no clue what he was doing. anyway long story short they never got the title signed over and the title has been damaged and barely ledgible(washing machine). they have no clue how to get a title for the car or where to even begin fixing it. i tried hepling but i have no clue whats going on with that whole smog system. any words of advice from all you camaro/gm vets??? sorry for the long post but id love to get that thing out of the garage so i can put my car in there

Yes, your Z-28 is a classic. Per the AACA "Motor vehicles of all types, 25 years old and older are grouped for competitive purposes into many classes
    according to age and mechanical features."

Good luck

Thread Information