Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In the end......he will drive it till it breaks.....

Got passenger window problems?
    http://www.autotrix.net
    **Window Express Down Modules now availible**
    http://www.autotrix.net/products.html

A Tire Stores Best Friend crazyTAlover's Avatar

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I too have the same problem with my 98 T/A M6. Low RPM shifts in to 3rd are rough. I had the fluid changed and it seemed to help a bit but not much. I was surprised to find that the fluid is automatic trans fluid and not gear oil

black
    00 ss camaro

hmm mine did that.. my tranny was all sorts of f****D up though... my guess would be synchro's next id say bent shift fork.. third gear is the week link in t56's.. but i have heard and seen pro 5.0 shifters give t56's problems by not havin the stops adjusted correctly.. hope perhaps some of this helps

Quote Originally Posted by BlueByU-SS View Post
    hmm mine did that.. my tranny was all sorts of f****D up though... my guess would be synchro's next id say bent shift fork.. third gear is the week link in t56's.. but i have heard and seen pro 5.0 shifters give t56's problems by not havin the stops adjusted correctly.. hope perhaps some of this helps
    Ah ah ahhhh. Easy there. Pro 5.0s arent the only shifters out there with adjusted stops.

black
    00 ss camaro

oh ok your right.. im prejudice of my hurst with the short stick you caught me
    00 SS TRak CAM,VALVETRAIN,CAI,HOOKER LT'S,3" ORY,CAT DELETE,PCV+EGR DELETE,LS6 MAN.90MM PORTED T/B, ASP UNDERDRIVE PULLEY,LS6PORTED OIL PUMP, FULLY BUILT T56 VIPER TRANNY,MOSER 12 BOLT 3.73'S 33 SPLINE BOLT IN AXELS ALL HOTCHKISS SUSPENSION.,BMR ADJ. TQ. ARM.,SFC'S, E. CUTOUT. 423 rwhp 416 rwTQ.

Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

you could also try rev matching when you down shift, and double clutching when you up shift... when your on it and you up shift it grinds right, when it does the clutch in blip the throttle and select the gear again... if it doesn't like that, no racing -

Fairfield yes fairfield, there's a few bad cars around there once in a while

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Fairfield was the former home of the Wayne County Speed. We were the NHRA world funny car champs back in '90-'91. Tons and tons of super fast street cars came out of the speed shop in the 70s and 80s. Nowadays the speed shop is no more. I wish it was still around.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    When I shift at lower RPMs, right around 1500 to 1900 RPMs, i grind going into 3rd gear and only 3rd gear. I dont really know why because when I shift at higher RPMs it shifts just fine with no grinding. Right now for a quick fix I just make sure to shift over 2000 RPM into 3rd. Any info on what this could be would be helpful. I do have a Pro 5.0 shifter if that makes a difference.
    if u cant findum ...grindum

Quote Originally Posted by WS.SICK View Post
    you could also try rev matching when you down shift, and double clutching when you up shift... when your on it and you up shift it grinds right, when it does the clutch in blip the throttle and select the gear again... if it doesn't like that, no racing -

Fairfield yes fairfield, there's a few bad cars around there once in a while
    What is double clutching anyway and what purpose does it have?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    What is double clutching anyway and what purpose does it have?
    Double clutching is a technique used on older (like 1940's) vehicles to engage gears without grinding them. These older transmissions were not synchronized, meaning that the user had to manually match the speeds of the engine and the input shaft of the transmission to engage the desired gear.

This is done like so: Accelerate through 1st gear, clutch in, pull gear lever into neutral, let clutch out, match revs to what they will be when next gear is engaged, put clutch back in, engage next gear, make sure RPM's are at the right speed, engage clutch.

Double clutching a modern synchronized manual transmission is pointless, being that the whole purpose of synchros is to eliminate the need to double clutch. However, if the synchros are going bad or completely shot, the car can still be driven without an issue by double clutching the transmission.

Black
    2002 camaro ss

Could not have said it better myself

Black
    1998 Ws6 Trans Am M6

Mine only does it SOMETIME, mostly in the mornings when its cold.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I've got the same problem in 3rd and 5th. I grit my teeth every time I grind . Never does it in the summer though. So does anyone know if temperature has a big influence on this, or is it just me?

Black
    Formula... soon

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Ive been having to granny shift for the last couple of weeks because apperently im public enemy #1 in my lil town. Somethin about how i drive What makes me mad is the fact that the cops are NOT catching me its this stupid crime stoppers thing in my town where people call the cops to "stop crime" and get "rewards". Im in the city's police computer several times for ''noise'' complaints and "speeding" complaints even tho Ive NEVER been pulled over by a city police officer. How shitty is my town to pay people to do the cops jobs? AND I dont speed in the downtown area, its on the outskirts of the city limits that connect to the county roads which have a speed limit of 55. Small towns are a joke, we need some real crime I guess.
    lmao sorry man but i found it very funny. but i do feel sorry for u, free country my ass eh? if im not hurting anyone then fuck off. people suck for calling the cops on u for noise

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

you guys with the problem, how many miles you got?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    I've got the same problem in 3rd and 5th. I grit my teeth every time I grind . Never does it in the summer though. So does anyone know if temperature has a big influence on this, or is it just me?
    Tempurature has a direct affect on the transmission from what I've found as well. If its really cold out, any attempt at fast shifting will usually net me a grind going into 3rd and 4th.

When I was at the track last fall though, and it was almost 90 degrees out, I ran 1st - 4th gear as fast as I could on my first pass and I didn't even get one little grind. So I'd say that temps definitely affect the performance of the transmission.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    you guys with the problem, how many miles you got?
    about 78,000. For me it started around 65,000 but its still not really that bad just an occasional thing. Still enough to be irritating though

My 1st gear grinds. However, I dont have to shift fast into 1st often.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

mine started small, now within 2000 miles, i cant use 3rd 4th or rev...

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

mine started doing about a year after i got it in 2004. it was just every now and then but most of the time i would just be over about 2000 RPM before i shifted and i never got the grind anymore. but i'm in the process of rebuilding my motor now.( it had about 150,000 miles on it ) since i got the tranny out, i might as well fix the syncros.
    taking shit apart and putting it back together has always been easy for me, i was wandering if anyone knew where to get a book on the T56 tranny that shows a step by step of how to rebuild it? i'd like to try and do it myself, cause i have another tranny coming to me from a friend of mine so if i screw up, at least i have a back up till i get a tranny shop to fix my screw up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information