Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Where do the fog lights attach for the T/As?
    Fog lights ad weight, who cares?

but no clue

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    I think its 20 lbs or so
    I did read the part about the price, just didn't sink in....having a brain fade today!lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Mine came with brackets for the fog lights.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Finally got around to getting the front end off the car in preparation for installing the new bumper support. The entire process is detailed in two pages of the service manual and is not all that difficult. The process is begun by popping out the three (3) plastic pins between the headlight assemblies:

Going underneath the car, there are a series of bolts that must be removed to drop the underbody splash shields located in front of each wheelwell. Once the bolts are removed, the shields can be extracted by gently bending the ends of the air dam down. This allows access to the side marker and daytime running lights (DRL's) and the bulb holders for each fixture are twisted and popped out.

Directly above the side marker lights, there are two (2) nuts on each side that clamp the bumper support and front fender together. A 10 mm socket on a swivel with a long extension makes them easy to remove. Moving to the front of the radiator, there are three (3) more plastic pins that have to be popped out.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The service manual calls for the headlights to be raised manually, and this is accomplished by popping the rubber cover behind each headlight and cranking them up by hand. However, rather than mess with manually raising the headlights (I did pop the rubber boot for the pic), I simply turned on the headlights, flipped the switch back to running lights and then disconnected the battery. With the headlights raised, there is a 7mm bolt located at the outside edge of each headlight assembly that has to be removed.

Unfortunately, the final bolt is a bit more difficult to get at. To access it, the wheelwell liner must be either removed or bent back out of the way. I recently installed new liners under our car and found it easiest to simply remove the bolts and plastic pins and then gently bend it back over the brake rotor to hold it out of the way on each side. Obviously, this also necessitated the removal of both front tires. Once both of the bolts were removed, the bumper cover drops away from the front fenders. Lowering the car, I then pulled the cover up over the center section between the headlights and it easily separated from the bumper support assembly.

The driving lights were then unbolted from the bumper support and unplugged from the wire harness. The harness runs between the foam and the bumper support and there are clips at each end that secure the harness. I did have to pry the foam upward away from the bumper support in order to extract the wire harness. There are then three (3) 13mm nuts on each frame horn that have to be removed in order to pull the bumper support.

The bumper support was not quite as heavy as I thought it would be. I'll have to drag the scale out to the garage for a comparison. This will free up lots of space and any weight off the front of the car is a good thing.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

neat. That support would make a good pool floaty for next Spazpalooza..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'm not sure it would survive more than a few minutes... but we could certainly try.

07 Chevy Corvette
    2004 Pontiac GTO

That is a nice frt bumper support. Do they make one for the rear bumper also.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not that I know of.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Looking good!

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I need to do this and replace my bumper support also, the damn bodyshop put in a crooked bumper support so my passenger fog light hangs really low... was trying to figure out the other day how to gently remove the bumper, thanks!

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

curious if there is any need for me to look into this seeing as though im not boosted.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Nice piece...so Jeff is this part to mainly to save weight and add strength it doesnt change the look of the front at all does it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Primarily to save weight... and open up space for a FMIC should Santa Claus decide to bring me one.

Burkhart actually "recommends" that this not be driven on the street. From a strength standpoint, I have to look at it a bit more, but the stock stamped piece would probably better be able to spread the load of an impact. The foam covering is more of an energy absorption layer and also provides a modicum of low speed impact resistance. We can ask Jon, our resident engineer, what he thinks. I will be throwing the stock and aftermarket units on the scales tomorrow.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

I guess it would depend on how thick the tubing is and the quality of the welds. I believe your right on the foam being able to dampen the impact and spread it across.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    primarily to save weight... And open up space for a fmic should santa claus decide to bring me one. :d

burkhart actually "recommends" that this not be driven on the street. From a strength standpoint, i have to look at it a bit more, but the stock stamped piece would probably better be able to spread the load of an impact. The foam covering is more of an energy absorption layer and also provides a modicum of low speed impact resistance. We can ask jon, our resident engineer, what he thinks. I will be throwing the stock and aftermarket units on the scales tomorrow.
    fmic..?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    fmic..?
    Front mount intercooler. Setup for forced induction.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Well... not sure what the boys at Burkhart were thinking. The bolts they included with the bumper support are all too large in diameter for the holes in both the car and the bumper support. Also, the center support rod that goes up to the plastic panel in front of the radiator is off by a country mile. I bent it upwards quite a bit but it does not look like it will align with the hole even if I can manage to get it to the correct height. Might just have to break out the welder and extend the tab.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Well... not sure what the boys at Burkhart were thinking. The bolts they included with the bumper support are all too large in diameter for the holes in both the car and the bumper support. Also, the center support rod that goes up to the plastic panel in front of the radiator is off by a country mile. I bent it upwards quite a bit but it does not look like it will align with the hole even if I can manage to get it to the correct height. Might just have to break out the welder and extend the tab.
    Wow...I was literally hours from ordering one myself...may rethink that one.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I know its a little late in the game but give them a call and see what's up? Maybe they sent you the wrong one or somethin'.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information