Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya you would be really taking a chance hoping to get by without a visual,,,it doesn't take much for them to flash the mirror under the car.
    The only real way around it is to be willing to switch the car back and forth from headers to manifolds and back again just to get through the sniffer.

Sounds like alot of work but I guess it depends on how bad you want the extra performance.
    I'm pretty sure they won't hook our cars up to the sniffer since there OBDII. Only reason they would do that is if there was a code or something, and even then, if you still use cats, even if there moved, the sniffer won't be able to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    I'm pretty sure they won't hook our cars up to the sniffer since there OBDII. Only reason they would do that is if there was a code or something, and even then, if you still use cats, even if there moved, the sniffer won't be able to tell.
    Sorry,,,when I said sniffer,,,I meant the smog test in general. Kind of a generalization if you will. Where I'm from we just call those tests sniffers whether they are hooked up to the pipe or not.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Sorry,,,when I said sniffer,,,I meant the smog test in general. Kind of a generalization if you will. Where I'm from we just call those tests sniffers whether they are hooked up to the pipe or not.
    Gotcha. I just get my inspection stickers from a friend, so I don't really worry about it.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

did i see someone post that they had a stall on no tranny cooler......

id be looking into that... or youll be yourself soon..

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    You will want to get a 24K trans cooler installed, B&M manufactures a great unit, you also may consider replacing the stock flexplate with a TCI SF29 race grade unit ($199) at the time of the TC install. Look into a TransGo shift kit.

My vehicle is not lowered, so I opted for a B&M 3 Qt. deeper aluminum transmission pan, more fluid coupled to cooler=lower transmission temperature.

You will need to get the vehicle on the dyno to correct some settings in the pcm, one being the elimination of the torque management system, and raising of the idle RPM depending on the OD of the new TC. Your shift points will need to be adjusted.

DO IT ONCE, DO IT RIGHT.

SteveC
    DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. -Live by that saying, embedded into my brain from my high school football coach. I am also installing a 21K B&M Trans Cooler and a TransGo shift kit with the TC. Waiting for those in the mail, should get here any time now. There is no way I would put that much heat on my tranny without a cooler. My cars lowered, so I just went with the TCI polished pan. I just like the fact that you can drain the fluid without removing the whole pan. The stock pan is a POS. Dyno tune, I am taking it to a corvette tuner who was highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    did i see someone post that they had a stall on no tranny cooler......

id be looking into that... or youll be yourself soon..
    Haha,,that was me. I was just talking to Orion about it.

Actually I've logged the car, and around town driving the trans temps stay parallel with the engine temps,,,just like the stock converter did. It locks up around 40 mph anyway so cruising around isn't much of a concern for me right now.
    The only time I was able to raise the trans temps was when I would lean on the car for 6-8 seconds. Even then only raised the temps 12-15 degrees,,,nothing in the danger zone. It cooled right back down when I got civilized with it.
    The biggest problem would be trying to run 1/4 mile passes with it. That would cause heat issues with no drive around time to cool it off really.
    Which is why I am refraining from any 1/4 mile assults until the cooler is in there. I just need to figure out how to keep everything hard lines,,and connect that stupid metric tranny line with what I think has 0-rings to a union and continue the metal line to the cooler and back.

Until then street driving around town has had no affect on trans temps for me,,,,as I said at 40 mph it's locked up anyway just like a stocker.

Hope that explains things a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 1TA LS1 View Post
    I just like the fact that you can drain the fluid without removing the whole pan. The stock pan is a POS.
    You still have to drop the pan to install a new filter. Nothing wrong with the stock pan. The only thing you gained was a drain plug,,,shucks you can install one of those easy enough in the stock pan if thats all you were after,,,and saved yourself a bunch of coin.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Haha,,that was me. I was just talking to Orion about it.

Actually I've logged the car, and around town driving the trans temps stay parallel with the engine temps,,,just like the stock converter did. It locks up around 40 mph anyway so cruising around isn't much of a concern for me right now.
    The only time I was able to raise the trans temps was when I would lean on the car for 6-8 seconds. Even then only raised the temps 12-15 degrees,,,nothing in the danger zone. It cooled right back down when I got civilized with it.
    The biggest problem would be trying to run 1/4 mile passes with it. That would cause heat issues with no drive around time to cool it off really.
    Which is why I am refraining from any 1/4 mile assults until the cooler is in there. I just need to figure out how to keep everything hard lines,,and connect that stupid metric tranny line with what I think has 0-rings to a union and continue the metal line to the cooler and back.

Until then street driving around town has had no affect on trans temps for me,,,,as I said at 40 mph it's locked up anyway just like a stocker.

Hope that explains things a bit.
    what size stall..

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    what size stall..
    It's a 3400 from fuddle. I believe with a 2.1 STR.

Seems to be a great little converter. Should support a mild camshaft,,that is if I ever get around to doing that too,,,lol.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. -Live by that saying, embedded into my brain from my high school football coach. I am also installing a 21K B&M Trans Cooler and a TransGo shift kit with the TC. Waiting for those in the mail, should get here any time now. There is no way I would put that much heat on my tranny without a cooler. My cars lowered, so I just went with the TCI polished pan. I just like the fact that you can drain the fluid without removing the whole pan. The stock pan is a POS. Dyno tune, I am taking it to a corvette tuner who was highly recommended.
    who is the tuner? in nor-cal or so-cal?

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Installed 3.73 gears about 3 weeks ago (went from 3.23). Breaking them in for the first 200 miles. Test drove today: 5mph to 60 mph, much quicker. But top end, around 60-90mph, I felt like it was slower than before. I figured I'd lose top end power. My next mod is going to be a Torque converter (2800 stall) and a shift kit. Also, I was planning on installing a cam next year. Any ideas how to get more top end power?
    turbos,but then you will want to put them higher gears back in.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information