Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mileage problem

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

One more thing to what Jon stated about habits. Keeping the rpms low around 2000 for cruising and shifting no higher then 3500 will help in fuel economy. Also gearing in the rear effects it too. Taller gears = less mileage because it requires more rpm's to maintain same speed as a lower gear.

Not all yrs have the same amount of gas tank. 98's have a 14 gal and only yr that the tank is steel vs plastic like the following yrs.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Not all yrs have the same amount of gas tank. 98's have a 14 gal and only yr that the tank is steel vs plastic like the following yrs.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A, 00 FBVert, 78T/A

I know it says that but I have never been able to get more then 14 gal in it when it was bone dry. First week I was testing the gas tank to see if the gauge was actuate and had thought the car came with a low fuel light. Found out it doesn't. So I fill the tank up again got 14 and 1/3 gal this time and ran it again till it was empty with the same results could only fill 14 and 1/3 gal.

I know running it out of gas is not the best way to test the fuel gauge but it let me know the gauge worked properly and just what I could fill it up with exactly.

There are times I want to find a 01/02 tank and swap mine out for the bigger capacity.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    Do it yourself? If so, drop the tank, or trapdoor? Don't want to turn this into a debate, just asking.
    I don't have the resources or the time to do a tank drop myself. shittt I can't even take my old fuel pump out of the old tank, that's how mechanically challenged I am. I know i know i'm pretty ashamed too

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I know we're supposed to have a 16.5 gallon tank. I've never gotten more than 15.5 in my '98 or my '00. I usually fill it with ~14.5, if I let it get that low.

Gas prices have fallen to $3.30 for Shell, V-Power 93 octane at that station was 3.56.

White
    2000 SS

So I changed the fuel filter still on the first tank since so ima see that that does. And everyone talks about driving right, I've actually been driving very slow and shifting just at 3000 rpms and generally just doing anything I could to get as much out of it ad I could and I only got 198 miles out of the entire tank with 80 of those being highway.

- - - Updated - - -

That was 198 miles out of the last tank full of gas before I changed the fuel filter.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Shifting at 3K? If you are after fuel MPG, then you should shift way lower than that. More like 2K. If you don't have your skip shift elminated, note the RPM after you shift into 4th at 16 MPH. It's like 750!

White
    2000 SS

Skip shift is eliminated. But I can't post the numbers now for a while because a girl missed her brake pedal and slammed the gas instead and ran right into the front of my car -___-. Had it for two weeks and already got hit.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Stupid girls.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Stupid girls.
    Ah-Ah Ah....your breaking Rule #4 ............ with ya Jon....just trying to have a little fun!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

*you're not your

Point noted though

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by CaSSper View Post
    Skip shift is eliminated. But I can't post the numbers now for a while because a girl missed her brake pedal and slammed the gas instead and ran right into the front of my car -___-. Had it for two weeks and already got hit.

OMG that sucks.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

hey guy's! i just joined and wanted to say hi!!! I have a cammed 04 gto with pacesetter longtubes, and custom built mandrel 3 1/2" exhaust. when my car was stock it got me close to 20 in town and 28 to 30 and sometimes up to 32 on cruise. now that i am at 400rwhp and 398rwtq i still get close to 20 in town and up to 25 to 28 on the hwy. i have been to vegas 2 times since the mods and my son's 04 cavalier beat my car by 150$ total gas out there and back.
    Now you guy's asked the question about running 87 to 89 vs 92 to 93 octane gas. my car was tuned for 91 oct. and today i needed gas badly so i put in 87 octane. the mileage was the same. no difference. what i noticed was a difference in the tone of the exhaust. the computer was having to readjust the timing. the cheaper gas causes engine knock. the better it is the less engine knock you get.

White
    2000 SS

Y'all are a lot of help. I hope the fuel filter did it but now I don't know if I will find out, what with the insurance company wanting to total the car. This business is making me absolutely sick. Haven't even had it for more than two weeks, and now a car that was all original wont even be close if I even get to drive it again.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

just because a insurance company totals a car, doesn't mean that you can't drive the car. many car's have been totaled and still drive today with little makeover. just have to have a salvage title.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

*you're not your

Point noted though
    *your-of belonging to-or done by you... just saying.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    *you're not your

Point noted though
    *your-of belonging to-or done by you... just saying.
    That is correct, which is why the word you're is the correct word to use, not your.

You're as in "you are" breaking the rule. The word "your" is possessive. I like "your" car.

I'm well aware of grammar and how to use it properly.

Just saying
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I know we're supposed to have a 16.5 gallon tank. I've never gotten more than 15.5 in my '98 or my '00. I usually fill it with ~14.5, if I let it get that low.

Gas prices have fallen to $3.30 for Shell, V-Power 93 octane at that station was 3.56.
    We never let ours get below a 1/4 tank. When it's at 1/4 tank I get about 13 gallons in it. Right now I'm filling it up every night as my wife is driving 200 miles a day. She brings it back home just slightly over 1/2 tank and every night I get about 7.5 to 7.7 gallons in it.
    Gauge appears to be pretty darn accurate on our car. If you wanted to go buy this then 1/2 tank is about 8 gallons, and double that is 16 so.... Looks like it's a 16 gallon tank or somewhere in that area.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It's also a good idea to never let your tank get too low since gas is what keeps the fuel pump cool. Excessively letting the tank run low can cause premature failure of the pump as it can overheat.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

That is correct, which is why the word you're is the correct word to use, not your.

You're as in "you are" breaking the rule. The word "your" is possessive. I like "your" car.

I'm well aware of grammar and how to use it properly.

Just saying
    Thats why in this instance one can use you`re (you are) or your - they are both correct.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information