Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: engine swap

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    Well if you are really interested in this. it would probibly cost you @ 6,000.00 to do. I have done a V6 to V8 conversion. But going to a LS1 you need to swap the whole engine and body wire harness for the new engine. 99+ going to a ls1 from a v6 is easier. 98 is its own year. and LT1 to LS1 needs the whole cars body harness updated. If you can get a wrecked 99+ car that would be the best route to take to get all the parts you need to swap it over.

hes right on target... i just didnt feel like typing that much...

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

Well if you are really interested in this. it would probibly cost you @ 6,000.00 to do. I have done a V6 to V8 conversion. But going to a LS1 you need to swap the whole engine and body wire harness for the new engine. 99+ going to a ls1 from a v6 is easier. 98 is its own year. and LT1 to LS1 needs the whole cars body harness updated. If you can get a wrecked 99+ car that would be the best route to take to get all the parts you need to swap it over.
    Nah you can easily get a whole engine/trans with computer and everything for 3k, i have a guy i know who parts out salvaged/recovered and will sell a whole eng/tranny with ECM for 3300, most of the ones on ebay also include the computer, just have to get a new k-member and your pretty much set.

Im keeping my eyes out for a ls2/m6, hopefully the prices will go down with the LS3 coming out, so im hoping to scoop one for around 6k

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

you need to do your research before you go off making statements... i thought i ha ddone mine... bought an engine and stuff... then more research and i have found out that it is VERY expensive..... there is a bunch of small things that they dont mention that you need.. trust me... i have pages of parts that you have to have... thats just a 99 to 99 v6 to ls1 swap... not different years and especially not lt1 model to ls1...

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

You are correct 3300.00 JUST FOR THE ENGINE, TRANS, ECM, AND THE ENGINE HARNESS!! From his year to a 99+ LS1 he needs K member, Rad, engine compartment harness, and the engine harness, Car harness, Body control Harness, Air Bad sensors, Fuel pump, possible the updated fuel lines. If you got a PCM with traction control, you need to make sure you have a series 3 carrier or your abs ont work, ABS computer, cruise control computer, AIR Pump. Steering shaft. Inst Cluster, and there is still more... There are alot of misc things you are forgetting. Trust me I have done it. You can hack your way through it and "make it work" . If you are doing a fully caged car, with a carb, then you are in the ball park to convert it. BUT if you want to convert a LT1 over to a fully functional "stock" 99+ LS1 you are going to be closer to $6,0000 (that is also adding some "needed items to the LS1 build like, headers, y pipe, and a few other body upgrades that should be done. If you can convert fully functional stock LS1 cars for 3300.00 and under then you should start going into business.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

You are correct 3300.00 JUST FOR THE ENGINE, TRANS, ECM, AND THE ENGINE HARNESS!! From his year to a 99+ LS1 he needs K member, Rad, engine compartment harness, and the engine harness, Car harness, Body control Harness, Air Bad sensors, Fuel pump, possible the updated fuel lines. If you got a PCM with traction control, you need to make sure you have a series 3 carrier or your abs ont work, ABS computer, cruise control computer, AIR Pump. Steering shaft. Inst Cluster, and there is still more... There are alot of misc things you are forgetting. Trust me I have done it. You can hack your way through it and "make it work" . If you are doing a fully caged car, with a carb, then you are in the ball park to convert it. BUT if you want to convert a LT1 over to a fully functional "stock" 99+ LS1 you are going to be closer to $6,0000 (that is also adding some "needed items to the LS1 build like, headers, y pipe, and a few other body upgrades that should be done. If you can convert fully functional stock LS1 cars for 3300.00 and under then you should start going into business.

not possible updated fuel lines... you have to have them.... 97 vette lines are the best to go with if your going to do it... and like he said.. the list goes on and on and on... people usually just list the main things you need... comp. rails, k member.... they dont list the other things that add up to be a few grand.. cause yes they are small things... but 60 bucks here and 40 bucks there.... its a pretty penny...

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

yup, I hear ya, I have seen some people, try to re-use the old lines by trying to flare the end of the old lines and using a hose clamp or 2, dosent work well with 30+ psi. Its even more $$$ if you upgrade the lines to braded hose and add an external pump to it.

Ill say it again, if you want to upgrade a LT1 to a LS1..get a wrecked LS1 car and then do your swap, I bet you will call me and say "thank you sir ... may I have another."

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I almost forgot the best part of all....You will most likely need a computer tune/reprogram as well. Cuz most likely the engine/trans PCM you get from a yard will probibly be programed for a different ratio of gear then the Lt1 has. It is possible that you would get lucky and have the same ratio that the LS1 PCM you get will have, but most likely not. Yes it can also be fixed with a hypertech or diablo sport, but again thats about 400.00-500.00 just there.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

haha ive never heard of that one... fuel lines are a must... dont rig it... buyer a honda before you do that shit haha..... people today.. i just dont think people realize how much it costs... but back on topic... if your planning on doing it... buy a 99+ sixer and do that swap then... if you have a longblock.... you will only need about 3,500 more....

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

NBM
    98 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Not even.

A complete, brand new LS1 is $4860 from GM Parts direct, and you can get a complete LS2 for $5721. Not bad deals at all
    ah ok.. thats for the input bud =)

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Thanks for this Great info guys! Im still buying the motor and Stuff. But I may keep the new motor Have it as a spare and sell the 93 T/A and Buy this nice black 00 WS6 6spd my neighbor just put for sale today! Ive been drooling over the Car since I moved up here in 03!

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

cool...just remember.....Drive it like you stole it......

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

cool...just remember.....Drive it like you stole it......
    Haha I just cant wait to mess with my buddy who thinks his Fox body is the shit! not much done to it besides headers and exhaust and trick flow manifold. He's always making fun of GM. I plan on Earning my first pony kill against him!

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    Thanks for this Great info guys! Im still buying the motor and Stuff. But I may keep the new motor Have it as a spare and sell the 93 T/A and Buy this nice black 00 WS6 6spd my neighbor just put for sale today! Ive been drooling over the Car since I moved up here in 03!

Keep the motor and put it in a first gen 68 camaro SS.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1bandit View Post
    Keep the motor and put it in a first gen 68 camaro SS.
    That would be hot as hell!!! but I like the looks of the late models a little bit better. I called my neighbor he only wants 8k for it and its got 53k on the clock. I told him consider it sold. Im going to try and find a junk yard lt1 for the 93 to get it running, yank the hotchkis suspension off and swap it on the 00, then sell the 93.

TA-White, Camaro-Black
    Track-TA98A4 DD-98z28M6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post

53k miles... 8 thousand dollars.... whats wrong with the car... hows the title... thats REALLY low... id make sure you checked into that one first...

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by lemons12 View Post
    53k miles... 8 thousand dollars.... whats wrong with the car... hows the title... thats REALLY low... id make sure you checked into that one first...

The title is clean, its always been garage kept, He did tell me it was hit in the rear once back in 01 but it was at 20 mph and only the bumper cracked. Honestly whoever did the body work did a good job cause all the lines are tight and match. I thought the same about the price but Im taking to my friend whose a gm tech at a pontiac chevy dealer up here to go over it. If there is anything wrong he will find it. Fingers crossed this will be the right car if not oh well back to looking around

Thread Information