Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    car in the video is not stock..drag radials are not stock..so there for that run means nothing to the fastest stock f-body....the bone stock fastest i believe is 12.9
    http://www.stangbangers.com/01_Bullitt_Article2.htm

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The ls6 block cars make no more power than the same year ls1 block cars. The valve train is the same and they breath the same. Only guys with ls6 blocks believe it makes a difference in anyway other than the obviously better oil circulation and strength. But the ls1 blocks can still hold quite a bit and they both run the same times down the track. Yes if you find a car with a ls6 block its nice to have but it wont be any faster than a ls1 block car. I saw a 00 SS with 170k on it dyno 317whp stock except filter. From personal experince its the ls1 cars with the 241 cast heads that seem to pull higher trap speeds and slightly faster times than the 853 heads. And those 241 head cars are late year 2000 f-bodys and 01 and 02 f-bodys
    What do you think better sealing of the rings and more useable rpms will do for the motor........slightly better power. Do research to back up your statements like I did. I'm not saying a LS6 block vs LS1 block that the LS6 will come out everytime.......depends on too many factors. But ask any REAL engine builder and the LS6 is the way to go. No argueing that point. Engine builders that I have talked to (on this site and off) say any where from 5 - 15 rwhp which isn't much by any means but in this day and age, every bit counts. And 01-02 had the LS6 intake which is another reason why they run faster times.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    What do you think better sealing of the rings and more useable rpms will do for the motor........slightly better power. Do research to back up your statements like I did. I'm not saying a LS6 block vs LS1 block that the LS6 will come out everytime.......depends on too many factors. But ask any REAL engine builder and the LS6 is the way to go. No argueing that point. Engine builders that I have talked to (on this site and off) say any where from 5 - 15 rwhp which isn't much by any means but in this day and age, every bit counts. And 01-02 had the LS6 intake which is the main reason why they run faster times.
    fixed. rpms alone dont do it. the intake gives a nice bump in the power curve after 3kish.

Not really guys. The LS6 intake isn't worth mentioning on the 01-02 cars. They also got the whimpy truck camshaft those years.
    In all honesty it was a trade off.

Kind of like, damned if ya do, damned if ya dont.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Not really guys. The LS6 intake isn't worth mentioning on the 01-02 cars. They also got the whimpy truck camshaft those years.
    In all honesty it was a trade off.

Kind of like, damned if ya do, damned if ya dont.
    the cam decrease from 00-01 shouldnt be that big of a difference. i know on my car for example without tuning pulls a bit more from 3k+. it was a nice kick. may not be a peak numbers mod but i know for a fact that it breathes alot better now.

You stuck an LS6 intake on a 2000 model that has the .500 lift camshaft,,,so it's no surprise you saw a nice improvement.

Try that on an LS1 with the little truck cam and it's not that steller. You could pull that cam and stick the little .460 lift cam in there,,,and I bet you'll find a rather noticable power drop,,,especially up top.

I have a 2000 and a 2002. I just recently stuck an LS6 intake on the 2000, and noticed some difference. I can also tell you that my 2002 with the stock truck cam feels like a pooch above 5,500 or so.

white
    2000 Z28

You stuck an LS6 intake on a 2000 model that has the .500 lift camshaft,,,so it's no surprise you saw a nice improvement.

Try that on an LS1 with the little truck cam and it's not that steller. You could pull that cam and stick the little .460 lift cam in there,,,and I bet you'll find a rather noticable power drop,,,especially up top.

I have a 2000 and a 2002. I just recently stuck an LS6 intake on the 2000, and noticed some difference. I can also tell you that my 2002 with the stock truck cam feels like a pooch above 5,500 or so.
    i was under the impression that the cam differences were very small. which that is not a huge gap but it is still a sizeable difference. i wish i had some track times to see how it is after the swap.

Black
    2002 Z28

02 Cam

I have an 02 Camaro, and Ive been looking for the block number with mirrors for quite a while and havent had any luck. The other day I jacked the front of the car up and looked between the transmission and the driver side cat and could see the number clear as day. I have an ls6 block on mine, and with slp Y pipe, mass air, lid and filter and Corsa Exhaust, I can run 13 flat babying it or high 12s beating it all day long. The guy I got mine from said he ran a 13.1 bone stock.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

fair enough..12.89

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyrocket21 View Post
    I have an 02 Camaro, and Ive been looking for the block number with mirrors for quite a while and havent had any luck. The other day I jacked the front of the car up and looked between the transmission and the driver side cat and could see the number clear as day. I have an ls6 block on mine, and with slp Y pipe, mass air, lid and filter and Corsa Exhaust, I can run 13 flat babying it or high 12s beating it all day long. The guy I got mine from said he ran a 13.1 bone stock.
    aftermarket mass air flow sensor? get it tuned if you dont plan on more mods. night and day difference, unless you can go back to stocker.

Smile

The bigger cam in the 98-00 mattered just as much as the ls6 intake on the 01-02. An ls1 is an ls1 thank you and goodnight.

Black
    2002 Z28

Tuning

I thought about getting it tuned, but im waiting to see what direction I will go with it. Id like a P1sc, and some QTP long tubes.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

What do you think better sealing of the rings and more useable rpms will do for the motor........slightly better power. Do research to back up your statements like I did. I'm not saying a LS6 block vs LS1 block that the LS6 will come out everytime.......depends on too many factors. But ask any REAL engine builder and the LS6 is the way to go. No argueing that point. Engine builders that I have talked to (on this site and off) say any where from 5 - 15 rwhp which isn't much by any means but in this day and age, every bit counts. And 01-02 had the LS6 intake which is another reason why they run faster times.

Never said the ls6 wasnt a better design, but tighter tolerences does not mean more power. When you say 500more usuable rpm are you refereing to you have more power at lower rpms?

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    i was under the impression that the cam differences were very small. which that is not a huge gap but it is still a sizeable difference. i wish i had some track times to see how it is after the swap.
    Here you can see for yourself http://www.smokemup.com/tech/ls1.php

But to give you an idea.

98-00 models
    202 degrees at .050 intake
    210 degrees at .050 exhaust

.496 lift intake and exhaust with 116 lobe sep angle.

01-02 models
    197 degrees at .050 intake
    207 degrees at .050 exhaust

.467 lift intake
    .479 lift exhaust with 116 lobe sep angle.

As you can see the 98-00 models had 5 degrees more duration on the intake side and 3 degrees more on the exhaust side. Almost .030 lift is given to the 98-00 models on the intake, and .017 on the exhaust side.

When it comes to camshafts that's a sizeable difference and could mean quite a few HP. In this case, about as much as an LS6 intake is worth on a stock motor.

Never said the ls6 wasnt a better design, but tighter tolerences does not mean more power. When you say 500more usuable rpm are you refereing to you have more power at lower rpms?
    In BlackSS's defense,,,there is alot of truth to ring seal and HP. GM went to a smaller ring pack on these LS engines,,,,3mm to be exact. You have less drag (ring pull/drag is measured on our high end engine builds) Less friction and/or drag means more HP,,,but GM also did this for fuel economy reasons.

When you get into small ring packs such as the LS series,,,,ring seal becomes an issue,,,especially on street motors destined for 100,000 miles.
    That's the biggest reason you see vacuum pumps on race engines, to promote better ring seal, makes HP.
    Having the crankcase ventilated properly promotes ring seal.

Now it is said the LS6 block does this better. I can't personally say for sure but I believe that is what BlackSS is referring to. Now whether the LS6 block would make more power remains to be seen, on a stockish motor with these whimpy camshafts I'm betting you wouldn't see any.
    Once you start building some cylinder pressure though,,,,the outcome could be different.

Arctic White, red/gray

In BlackSS's defense,,,there is alot of truth to ring seal and HP. GM went to a smaller ring pack on these LS engines,,,,3mm to be exact. You have less drag (ring pull/drag is measured on our high end engine builds) Less friction and/or drag means more HP,,,but GM also did this for fuel economy reasons.

When you get into small ring packs such as the LS series,,,,ring seal becomes an issue,,,especially on street motors destined for 100,000 miles.
    That's the biggest reason you see vacuum pumps on race engines, to promote better ring seal, makes HP.

Now it is said the LS6 block does this better. I can't personally say for sure but I believe that is what BlackSS is referring to. Now whether the LS6 block would make more power remains to be seen, on a stockish motor with these whimpy camshafts I'm betting you wouldn't see any.
    Once you start building some cylinder pressure though,,,,the outcome could be different.
    I have said many tiems the ls6 is better for building because of these reasons but stock vs stock a ls6 block f-body vs a ls1 block f-body should be a drivers race requardless of block. And on dynos they put down the same numbers. Assuming you have 5-15 more whp because you have a ls6 block is silly.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Thank you. I have never seen any more power, its only what I have been told. But with the ring sealing issue, it could happen. Its nice to have a LS6 block but for 6 years I thought I had a LS1 block.... and guess what.... it still ran crazy

Arctic White, red/gray

Thank you. I have never seen any more power, its only what I have been told. But with the ring sealing issue, it could happen. Its nice to have a LS6 block but for 6 years I thought I had a LS1 block.... and guess what.... it still ran crazy
    Nice find!!!!

I was just happy i got the late year 2000 ls1 with the slightly bigger cam and 241 cast heads, still had the ls1 intake though. All that changed after the cam/intake manifold upgrade and porting of the heads anyway.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Nice find!!!!

I was just happy i got the late year 2000 ls1 with the slightly bigger cam and 241 cast heads, still had the ls1 intake though. All that changed after the cam/intake manifold upgrade and porting of the heads anyway.
    What size cam did you put in that baby. Gotta love the LS1, shes nuts anyway you slice it

Arctic White, red/gray

228/228 .588/.588 112lsa, very fun

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information