Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I agree,my monte carlo ss is definately not as fun being fwd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I have always liked the 98 Cobras
    I like them too. Just too bad they are slow as poop.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Very true, but that could be fixed with some $$$$$

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

I hate to say it but with exhaust, cai, and geared (4.30's) They will run door to door with an LS1 that has lid, exhaust, and free mods. Equal drivers of course. My buddy and I used to do this all of the time when we were relatively stock. My WS6 with Borla, lid and some free mods put down 329 rwhp with 319 ft lbs. His '98 Cobra with Flowmaster, cai, and 4.30 gears put down around 315rwhp with a bit more torque. Anyway it was a clear drivers race between us until he got N2O. Then he was ahead easily. I was behind until I did H/C/I. Now he and I both have built blown motors that run damn near equal times again.

You may be thinking of the '99 models that had some severe power issues. I remember once at a dyno day seeing a guy put a relatively new (10-15k miles) on the dyno and with exhaust and some bolt-ons it barely made 250rwhp. I can't remember but I think there was a recall on some of the 4V heads that year. I am not 100% sure though.
    Last edited by Packy; 12-28-2010 at 08:29 PM.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Nothing wrong with more power in the garage! I've been looking to get a Fox to use as a drag car with a LS swap I do want it to be fast

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I hate to say it but with exhaust, cai, and geared (4.30's) They will run door to door with an LS1 that has lid, exhaust, and free mods. Equal drivers of course. My buddy and I used to do this all of the time when we were relatively stock. My WS6 with Borla, lid and some free mods put down 329 rwhp with 319 ft lbs. His '98 Cobra with Flowmaster, cai, and 4.30 gears put down around 315rwhp with a bit more torque. Anyway it was a clear drivers race between us until he got N2O. Then he was ahead easily. I was behind until I did H/C/I. Now he and I both have built blown motors that run damn near equal times again.

You may be thinking of the '99 models that had some severe power issues. I remember once at a dyno day seeing a guy put a relatively new (10-15k miles) on the dyno and with exhaust and some bolt-ons it barely made 250rwhp. I can't remember but I think there was a recall on some of the 4V heads that year. I am not 100% sure though.
    I remember that fiasco. Ford recalled them, put a new intake, reflashed the PCM, I think something on the exhaust also. I don't remember anything with the heads, tho. Embarassing for sure.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I remember that fiasco. Ford recalled them, put a new intake, reflashed the PCM, I think something on the exhaust also. I don't remember anything with the heads, tho. Embarassing for sure.

Yeah it was kind of pathetic when a claimed 320 hp and 317 ft·lb of torque and some with simple bolt ons were barely putting down 250 to the tire. It was fun to race those cars though! It always made for a good story!

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I just really didn't care for the 99-04 mustang body style,although the termis did look the better than the other 'stangs from 99-04.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Redline Kiwi Green/Black
    08'/02'/99'/97'/83'/82/81

They can. I had my 6 Birds and my 08 GT 5 speed for a couple of years. ( New Knight Rider conversion) I got rid of the Stang,. I am going to get a 70 Fury or a 72-74 Charger. My husband says I have a Pontiac heart and a Mopar soul. the Birds give you more power for your money than the stang,. Better handeling too. Have fun searching for your steed!!

black, black Twins
    93 Supra , 94 Supra Turbo

I have a horse and 8 chickens......lol....no I really do.

2000 WS6 Trans Am

I sold my v6 mustang to get a WS6 haha, no horses and birds living together here

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have a 98 TA full bolt ons, stall, MS3 cam, suspension, 18' staggered rims and it's a fun car for the weekends but not much of a commuter car.
    I have a 02 Trailblazer fully loaded for a shop truck and DD but it's kinda boring but looks good and is comfortable also great road trip vehicle.
    So I wanted something fun to drive during the week to work when i don't need to pick up parts so I went out and got another fox, this time I got a
    93 LX 5.0 vert. Red with black top and white leather(craked). I am getting some new seats and change it to just blk/gry interior. It has the AOD (getting a shift kit) aluminum driveshaft, 3.55's, flowmasters, CAI. Getting soke headers and a ORX for little more sound but it's not that fast compared to the TA but it's alot more fun when your stuck in traffic and handles ok. Like to sell it and find a Termi vert.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I hate to say it but with exhaust, cai, and geared (4.30's) They will run door to door with an LS1 that has lid, exhaust, and free mods. Equal drivers of course.
    I hate to say it but you're wrong by about a half second.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    I have had 4 Mustangs through the years and my wife has only had Firebirds.her ceta is clearly superior to every Mustang GT I have ever owned in every way,but I still want a 96-98 Cobra.so is there anything wrong with have a T/A and a Cobra?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    i dont think so, everyone has their personal preferences

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I don't know who's right, but the gearing change is a big difference. WIth both geared equally, I would have to side with INMY01TA.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    so is there anything wrong with have a T/A and a Cobra?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Nope!

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Okay right, I guess I forgot real life experiences here take a backseat to what all the Mustang haters here like to think in fantasy land. So my lid/ exhaust LS1 would run 12.9-13.2 regularly and his '98 geared, cai, exhaust Cobra would do the same. Making any race we had a drivers race. Nice try but they are not a half second slower...

Schmalgar-You need to take an new avatar pic with your new car in there.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Okay right, I guess I forgot real life experiences here take a backseat to what all the Mustang haters here like to think in fantasy land. So my lid/ exhaust LS1 would run 12.9-13.2 regularly and his '98 geared, cai, exhaust Cobra would do the same. Making any race we had a drivers race. Nice try but they are not a half second slower...

Schmalgar-You need to take an new avatar pic with your new car in there.
    Never claimed to be a Mustang hater. Your real world experiences differ from mine. Kudos to your friend, don't have to be dick.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Never claimed to be a Mustang hater. Your real world experiences differ from mine. Kudos to your friend, don't have to be dick.

I am not trying to be a dick. I was just sharing my experiences and there are many other '96-98's that have done the same with the addition of gears and a few bolt-ons. Most Cobra's don't have enough gear and that is why they run a half second slower. Even 4.10's is on the edge of not having enough gear with those cars.

Thread Information