Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

BlacK
    2001 WS6

I'm goin' with the Amsoil...I mean...Sarge has The Force!!!...he MUST be right.

I've never actually cleaned a K&N but, it seems to me oil would most likely coat your MAF...not what you want.

silver2002Z
    i never said i didnt oil it afterwards......i said i ran out of cleaner so i used simple green to clean ........u speaka english ?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Damn! Time to take ur meds. Your thread just kinda left thingz a hang'n.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    Oh shit...now that's what I'm talkin' bout'.

But now what about air, do you think you sacrifice air (volume) for cleaner air?

I think K&N is about to stand for Kicked&Negated.

Two thumbs up so far, cleaner engine oil and no messy oil to coat your MAF with.

Make that three...it's cheaper.
    No ...the Amsoil outflows the KN also

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    No ...the Amsoil outflows the KN also
    That's four...So we have...

1)Cleaner engine oil

2)No oil coating your MAF

3)Increased air flow

4)Lower price

5)The color

So long K&N.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I feel bad for you guys...

I've had my K&N for 5+ years

1)engine oil has been just fine

2)have had ZERO MAF issues

3)air flow is good

4)Still using the same $40 filter

5)color...r u serious!!!???

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    engine oil has been just fine
    Have you sent your oil in for an analysis??

I would tend to feel bad that you're thinking a filter that passes more dirt than a paper filter is a good thing.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

3)air flow is good

Unless you have your engine oil tested you don't know if there is a better filter or not, Sarge has, he has over 60K invested in his GTO and he tests his engine oil. If the man said honeycomb from a beehive was best, I would be buying several cans of Raid and some bees are goin to die.

The possibility of having oil on your MAF is nuthin I want to deal with.

Air flow is good? Better...is better.

You didn't add in the price for the cleaning kit.

Color...yea I am serious, on dark red dirt is hard to see, light blue it's easy.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

3)air flow is good

What is your silicon data? Mine was over 20 with the KN and less than 11 with the Amsoil. To put that in percpective....20 is like 3 tablespoons of very fine dirt in your oil getting passed the air cleaner....11 is like 1.4 tablespoons of very fine dirt....and no it is not linear Huge difference......I run dual valve cover breathers of course with the big cam and I know they suck dirt on decceleration.....so I'm went with dual Amsoil oil filters to get down into the super microns to filter out even more and am looking for a 8 or 9 silicon level this run.....Curious what your silicon level is....I had the lowest of any KN I know of at 20....most KN's I have seen go through the lab run 30+ and that just flat ass sucks....post up your numbers man!

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

The only "numbers" I need to post is my car is my DD. I've had NO measurable problems with any of my performance. I know I'm probably not running the same power that ur engine is, so I know my engine not sucking in air at the same rate that yours is. You can keep your microns of dirt; don't need no techno-geek to tell me that my engine's running just fine. At that level, who isn't sucking in microns of dirt at one time or another. Bought the $40 cleaning kit 4 years ago; still have a bit left. My car is at 89,000 miles, and still running strong as when I first bought it.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

wow...i pity you cobrahunter... I'm going to let sarge defend himself; but understand that the point being made here is not that KN filters are going to ruin your daily driven car and that we should all burn them. i'm sure your car runs great, but the point is that a better filter is being produced, at a cheaper price, as proven by sarge's actual lab testing. And i know from experience that oiling a kn can present problems, aside from being a PITA, for a lot of us since i ran one for the last 2 years and have read others complain about the issue here. If your happy with yours, great! keep on truckin' turbo! can't believe you threw techno-geek out there....that wasn't wise...

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Get over it!

If Sarge has gone and done his own testing, great! Good info for engines as fixed up as his.

All I can say is that neither I nor anyone I know who owns an LS1, who uses K&N, (fortunately) has never had any oil or engine issues, no issues with MAF (don't drench the filter with the oil) and none of us has had any oil issued AFFECTING our engines yet, nor do we have silicon data to back us up. Yes...we're keeping on truckin'.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The only "numbers" I need to post is my car is my DD. I've had NO measurable problems with any of my performance. I know I'm probably not running the same power that ur engine is, so I know my engine not sucking in air at the same rate that yours is. You can keep your microns of dirt; don't need no techno-geek to tell me that my engine's running just fine. At that level, who isn't sucking in microns of dirt at one time or another. Bought the $40 cleaning kit 4 years ago; still have a bit left. My car is at 89,000 miles, and still running strong as when I first bought it.
    LOL....Shit son where did the hostility come from......sure you can drive a LS1 for 100K with no fricking air filter if you wish and would probably make it.....the reason us "Techno-Geeks" get our panties in a wad over a micron or PPM is we have a shitload of money invested in our cars and would like for them to perform at peak....and last as long as possible while performing at peak efficiencies.....Silicon=Very Fine Dirt Particles which slowly wear away bearings/rings etc.
    The purpose of this string is how to keep that shit out......and we are talking the exact same amount of money for an Amsoil or AEM as a K&N so why would anybody not want to keep out as much dirt as possible if all things are equal? If you want to cram your Grandma's underwear over your throttle body it's all good by me....but if you want to discuss and share data about something and maybe ( God Forbid) learn something then that is what we do here. And we back it up with data/definition and real world lab work.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

You can lead a horse to water...............

Thread Information