Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4l60e or 4l80e

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

and who is your builder ???? and from re-reading this thread..i am sorry..i think i took your post out of context..sorry man

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    weird...i am still trying to figure out what that has to do with anything ? but yes the trans am is my first rear wheel drive car..but i have got to drive a 93 viper a 05 viper srt-10 a 06 or 05 c6 z06 .. a 01 vette and a 07 c6 so i mean whats your point ? you dont think i have enough power to break my trans..fair enough..but for the price you have had to pay for 8+ trans in a year..i think thats a good thing..and i guess you being older then me automatically (get it automatic) makes you cooler then me and its a diss..in which case my grandfather whips your ass in the coolness department.
    well let me spell it out for you I was not trying to diss you simply stating the facts,the builder has fixed my transmissions for free after i purchased it the first time,you kids come on here stating this and that, probally first real car ever owned with a v-8 this makes u an expert,have you ever read up on the facts on the forums on the 4l60 series trans mission NOT one car in the country thats FAST has one thats held up for any amount of time..lol..then again im looking at your post count 13,157 so you spend all day discrediting what people in the know has to say?lol..ps I have written my $.002 on what I think of the trans deal.continue on.ps tell ur gramps hes cool..lmfao..
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    and who is your builder ???? and from re-reading this thread..i am sorry..i think i took your post out of context..sorry man
    AH its all good maybe we get more people to veiw this site,good argument brings em..lol

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    well let me spell it out for you I was not trying to diss you simply stating the facts,the builder has fixed my transmissions for free after i purchased it the first time,you kids come on here stating this and that, probally first real car ever owned with a v-8 this makes u an expert,have you ever read up on the facts on the forums on the 4l60 series trans mission NOT one car in the country thats FAST has one thats held up for any amount of time..lol..then again im looking at your post count 13,157 so you spend all day discrediting what people in the know has to say?lol..ps I have written my $.002 on what I think of the trans deal.continue on.ps tell ur gramps hes cool..lmfao..
    like i said there are a few folks driving around with modded 4l60Es that are running 700+ is it common..no but its not like the 4l60E is some trash bag transmission..and also what i said is there are better options then the 4l80e for a f-body or even a gto. the 4l80e is not the end all transmission.

Green
    1971 454 Chevelle

Simple.
    4l60e may hold up.
    4l80e will hold up.
    4l80e is not much heavier but will take work to fit.

black
    1999 pontiac T/A WS-6

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by twoolley08 View Post
    which trans is better and why the 4l60e or the 4l80e. what holds up the best? what tranny would you guys go with?
    Is your Trans Bad? What are your plans A DD Drag only street racing?Choice of Trans depends on what you plan to do.What kinds of mods you have.You ask a question got some answers NO one ask what Type of Driving Your doing. That makes a difference in the best Trans to go with!And as far as every ones answers ther are guessing at what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    I've been reading threads about this lately 'cause I need to do something with my trans.

From what I understand....the 4l80e is much stronger out of the box. Has a heavy duty input shaft as where the 4l60e does not. So basically a stock 4l80e can take alot of punishment. The downside is that it's much heavier and also the gearing in it is designed for a truck....since that's what they came in. It's rather costly to get different gearing. There are some "conversion" steps to be taken to make one fit in an fbody.....also it needs a different torque converter. I just spent $1k on a vig multi disc unit so I may just stick with the 4l60e so I don't incur another converter expense.

As with everything.....it comes down to preference really. Each of these transmissions have their pro's and con's. As does the TH400 too.
    To help explain as simple as possible,,,the 4L80E is basically a 400 turbo with an overdrive. Many parts interchange between the 400 turbo and 4L80E.

The gear spread is also identical
    2.48 1st
    1.48 2nd
    1.00 3rd
    Then of course the 4L80E has the overdrive 4th gear. Because of this it's slightly larger than a 400 turbo.

This gear spread is actually great for racing and the higher first gear doesn't hit the tires as hard.

For all out racing efforts the gear spread in the stock 4L60E sucks....first gear is too steep,,,,and the rpm drop on the 1-2 shift is horrible. It's an okay street trans or for a toy but it sucks at the strip for all out performance.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by buddyholly View Post
    Simple.
    4l60e may hold up.
    4l80e will hold up.
    4l80e is not much heavier but will take work to fit.
    +110%

black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by moesplace View Post
    Is your Trans Bad? What are your plans A DD Drag only street racing?Choice of Trans depends on what you plan to do.What kinds of mods you have.You ask a question got some answers NO one ask what Type of Driving Your doing. That makes a difference in the best Trans to go with!And as far as every ones answers ther are guessing at what you need.
    its a dd, i do street race it and drive harsh at times, i want a trans that will hold up to my style lol, i like to be just drivin then i get bored and just nail it for the hell of it. so far i have lt headers cam slp lid bora exhaust 295 35 18 bfgoodrich drag radials. also 2nd gear misshifts some times. meaning like it will hit it for a second then go to 3rd gear and take it a min to get up to speed for 3rd gear to be really effective. also what would a 3000 stall do for me? i know it will launch at 3ooorpm but what about driving? will it always stay at 3k or what? or will it at like a stock stall for normal drivin after it takes off

black
    2000 trans am

oh yea the trans is not bad yet but i do plan on doing alot more upgrades heads and rear end intake and tb maybe even twin turbso after i pay off my credit card. hmm which would be better single or twin turbos

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

oh yea the trans is not bad yet but i do plan on doing alot more upgrades heads and rear end intake and tb maybe even twin turbso after i pay off my credit card. hmm which would be better single or twin turbos
    it will be after u install a power adder that you will need a new trans soon after,stalls have lockup clutches just like stock converters do in high gear they will rpm at lower rpms then non lock up.when u nail it even moving they flash to the advertised stall allowing you to get the motor into a higher more usable rpm.

black
    2000 trans am

so a higher stall converter will act the same as a stock one while driving normal conditions just until i stomp on it right

Black
    2000 Z-28

so a higher stall converter will act the same as a stock one while driving normal conditions just until i stomp on it right
    Well I guess it depends on how high of a stall you go. With my 3600 I have to give it a bit more gas when just putting around town but it's so much more fun when you punch it!

Black
    2000 Z-28

I saw over on tech an FLT 4L60E tran in a guys car running low 9's so I think they can be built up to take some pretty harsh abuse. I have a level 2 performabuilt in mine and plan on putting it to the test here before long.

black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    I saw over on tech an FLT 4L60E tran in a guys car running low 9's so I think they can be built up to take some pretty harsh abuse. I have a level 2 performabuilt in mine and plan on putting it to the test here before long.
    nice, im considering a yank 3200 stall or something around that but id like to ride in a ta wit a stall first you know because still dont fully understand how the stall will perform drivin normal you know

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

nice, im considering a yank 3200 stall or something around that but id like to ride in a ta wit a stall first you know because still dont fully understand how the stall will perform drivin normal you know
    sounds like you should stay around that area 3000-3200 more then enough for most people,i hd a 3000 in mine car went 10.9.theres a info under transmission section tells you the ins and outs of converters.enjoy,ps stall is one of the best things you can do to and auto 1/2 second diffrence in 1/4 mile times...

98' trans am

sounds like you should stay around that area 3000-3200 more then enough for most people,i hd a 3000 in mine car went 10.9.theres a info under transmission section tells you the ins and outs of converters.enjoy,ps stall is one of the best things you can do to and auto 1/2 second diffrence in 1/4 mile times...
    x2..no dead spots and some people report on a dyno that you gain ups of 40rwhp under the curve...cant wait for my yank 3600-3800 stall this spring

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    yes but for how long ?my point was that for high Horse power cars and something thats going to last.ask that guy how many 9 second passes he gets out of a build,does he run the car on the street much? most of us guys drive our cars,I know I do just more fun the drive the car to track rip off some great times then drive it home.

Black
    2000 Z-28

yes but for how long ?my point was that for high Horse power cars and something thats going to last.ask that guy how many 9 second passes he gets out of a build,does he run the car on the street much? most of us guys drive our cars,I know I do just more fun the drive the car to track rip off some great times then drive it home.
    How long can you run any high horsepowered car without something breaking...it's subjective. I'm just trying to point out that you can have an extremely fast car w/ a 4L60E. Is it the best idea, well each person can make that determination for themselves.
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008073
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000382

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information