Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by shabysurf View Post
    All of you are talking about installing lt's, u had to buy, or make a y-pipe section, $1200 probably including that and the lts. please be more specific. If your wanting to spend that much, dynatech makes ss lts w/ a y-pipe w/ high flow cats, but thats if you want cats price is about $1300, and you can install it your self, and hooks up to existing cat-back
    Hooker LT ceramic and ORY were $860 (Jeg's). Probably we would charge $400 to install where I work, if we would do such an emission illegal thing. It connected no problem to my cat-back.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    im doing mine now (97' z28) at an auto hobby shop. they have lifts and all the tools i will ever need. All the guys that work there were telling me that i was gonna have to lift the engine...but i didnt have to. Had to remove the alternator, steering linkage, oil filter, and plugs/wires. (The ls1 have the alternator on the driver side and the lt1 is on the passenger side.) The hardest part of the install so far are the stock manifolds And the cat to manifold bolts. Hoping to finish up by thursday
    Shit, my only problem was that I DID have to lift the engine. It took me 2 days of messing with the header at different angles to figure that out. That was a pain in the ass. Other than that, it wasn't too bad at all. As far as those bolts you mentioned, just break them, you don't need them. So just break them instead of trying to keep them intact.

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i wish i could find a place that cheap around here

this one place wanted $1200
    To put them in

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I was quoted $250, did it myself and took it to get tuned for $50 bucks and have AIR and EGR removed...

black
    04 silverado

I was quoted $400 for install + collector pipe + x-pipe + 2 magnaflow mufflers, existing like a lightning on my silverado, all I had to do is buy headers, and drop off the truck the night before, so it would be cool the next morning.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

so on an ls1(2002), besides disconnecting the stock manifolds... what else do you have to disconnect?

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

whatever is in your way
    ie: oil filter, steering linkage, starter, dipstick(s), alternator

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Don't forget spark plugs, coolant temp sender, intake tract, maybe some coil packs...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    whatever is in your way
    ie: oil filter, steering linkage, starter, dipstick(s), alternator
    Just did this job, I don't remember doing the oil filter. Had to take off the block-off plate near the oil filter (2 bolts, easy). Steering linkage, easy. dipstick, easy. Not the alternator for LS1 engines, headers go in from below. Had to take sparkplugs out, not too hard really, drivers side ok, the pass side back was gotten from below. Plug wires also. Not the coil packs, tho I think I did loosen the pass side and rotate up a couple inches. No coolant or intake hassles. Not a hard job, really, just time comsuming. A hard part may be getting your OE Y pipe out of the cat-back.
    Last edited by Too Fast; 12-09-2006 at 04:36 AM. Reason: clarify

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

did you guys feel a difference in performance with new plugs, wires, and LT's?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Definitely feel the power increase with my LT and ORY. I haven't changed the plugs or wires. I don't think that would really do much unless the engine was misfiring.

suck it up and DO IT YOURSELF

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by zach_ws6 View Post
    you could save yourself hundreds of dollars and just do it yourself. pacesetters go in pretty easily.

if you have access to a ratchet set, wrenches, jack and jackstands. i say go for it!

sorry, i know thats not the answer you were looking for. but back in march, i was in the same boat as you, i decided to take the plunge and do it myself.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaannk WRONG!!! you need small and large ratchet sets, to know that you have to PULL the shit out of the oil dip stick tube to get it out because you wont get the passenger side one out unless you do, you need a hack saw to cut the block shaped thing on the driver side before you put the header in, (unless you want to figure out how to unbolt the engine from the mounts and want to have to figure out how to lift the FREAKIN ENGINE!), you'll need an extra set of small hands, patience, a understanding of what you're doing, a lift(I couldn't imagine doing this with just some jack stands), another person to hold headers from the top or bottom, anti seize for plugs, and thats all I can think of at the moment but who'da thought a hacksaw?

it took me like 24hrs yesterday with like maybe 20min sleep with a lift

the advantage of it all is I know what's good and what's not perfect and needs to be redone, and the cash I saved.
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 01-04-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: hit enter to early

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

also guys, did you happen to look at your spark plugs? what kind did you have.

When I got my car I thought it was 100% stock and so far the only thing I found that seems aftermarket is denso spark plugs.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    also guys, did you happen to look at your spark plugs? what kind did you have.

When I got my car I thought it was 100% stock and so far the only thing I found that seems aftermarket is denso spark plugs.
    AC Delco Platinum plugs is what my car had. Those should be the stock ones.

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

aaaaaaaaaaaaannk WRONG!!! you need small and large ratchet sets, to know that you have to PULL the shit out of the oil dip stick tube to get it out because you wont get the passenger side one out unless you do, you need a hack saw to cut the block shaped thing on the driver side before you put the header in, (unless you want to figure out how to unbolt the engine from the mounts and want to have to figure out how to lift the FREAKIN ENGINE!), you'll need an extra set of small hands, patience, a understanding of what you're doing, a lift(I couldn't imagine doing this with just some jack stands), another person to hold headers from the top or bottom, anti seize for plugs, and thats all I can think of at the moment but who'da thought a hacksaw?

it took me like 24hrs yesterday with like maybe 20min sleep with a lift

the advantage of it all is I know what's good and what's not perfect and needs to be redone, and the cash I saved.

I installed mine without a lift. Just a driveway and some jackstands. That's how most people do it. A standard driveway install. Most people don't need a hacksaw or have to cut anything. But some people do have to cut the lip of the k-member. I did have to lift my engine but some don't have to. Oil dipstick thing was easy, and some people have done a header install by themselves with no help. Sure, its more difficult but it can be done.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

yup I've got densos and I heard they're what the imports usually get along with ngk's. I heard the densos are pretty good so I'll keep them.

and yea man I've got an ls1 and I didn't know how to do the dipstick thing till I looked online. I didn't want to break anything by just yanking. I didn't even know it had a bolt in it at first. I also didn't know that I'd have to have a hacksaw near by. Just so worked out that I had one in my friend's shop. as far as getting the o2 sensors from under the bottom, I don't know. Mine were rock solid.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Hacksaw? Must be something specific to Pacesetters. I did have to remove the oil bypass near the oil filter, no biggie, for the drivers side header install, but not even close to needing to cut anything with a hacksaw or something similar. I did not need to lift the engine from its mounts.
    It was nice to have someone help hold the header while I was aligning the gasket and header to start the header bolts.
    My car had Denso plugs from the factory also.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

about your headers what kind?

and about the densos, cool, I learned something new

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

about your headers what kind?

and about the densos, cool, I learned something new
    Hooker long tube ceramic coated, with their ORY pipe. My car sounds almost as quiet during cruise conditions, then it gets a lot louder when I get on it. There is no dreaded resonation under cruise conditions. It really sounds mean under full throttle! My cat-back is stock except for a Midas performance muffler. I like the way the stock tips look. It sounded deep before, but now it one of my friends says it sounds like a sprint car, somewhat more high-pitched than before, but no mistaking it for anything other than a V8. He said I hurt his ears when I revved it with him behind me, he was standing in his driveway. to my friends ears!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information