Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

The rear is whining more then a bunch of pigs at an empty feeding trough!

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Are you a member over at thirdgen.org yet? If not you may want to join, tons of info on the engine swap board, been done many times in many variations, personally I like the way this guy did his Here we go again. Swap #2 has begun. LOTS of pics... - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards He made the engine/trans drop out the bottom with everything assembled, basically similiar to a 4th gen but easier. He ran the brake lines and the wiring harness so that they could come out fully assembled and attached to the k-member. Basically he made it so you can assemble the entire drivetrain outside of the vehicle and then pop it in from the bottom. Sure it would be easier with a lift but he did it in a driveway by using the engine hoist to lift the body up high enough to allow the drivetrain to slide out the bottom.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

I am a member of thirdgen.org. You are right there are a lot of guys on the site that have posted build threads. Believe me, I've been doing a lot of reading over the past few months. I decided to take the motor out from the top and drop the new one in the same. I want to keep the front end in place. I'm using the thirdgen k member. If I was replacing with a tubular I would have went the other route.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

you have my attention sir, subscribed

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Not much going on with the swap. Engine should be back from the shop within the next two weeks. Put the car back up on jack stands yesterday. Degreased and wire brushed as much as I can. Took the A arms and the rest of the front suspension off, cleaned and painted along with the rest of the undercarriage.
    Also sold a few parts from the TPI 305 over the last few days on thirdgen.org. Waiting to hear back from someone local about buying my T5. Trying to sell as much as I can to help with the funds!

Ray Charles blue

Dont blame you there. Anything to help lesson the costs is a good deal.

Im excited to see this stock looking Iroc Z roll in knowing whats under the hood is a whole lot of grin factor.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any plans to run it at the track?

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

If I am able to afford a new rear for the car after this year....yes. If not I'll just be the photographer in the stands again.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Spent some more money over the past few days. Ordered: 99-04 Vette fuel filter/regulator, fuel pump (walbro 255), russell fittings and hoses to run the new lines, knock sensor wiring, Spec steel flywheel, UMI short shifter handle, black shift ball, skip shift elim, Spohn poly motor mounts. I'm sure I'll see the UPS guy a few times this week. I see him so often, he now has my cell # to call and see if I am home when there are big deliveries. I owe him a few beers for all of the boxes he carried to my house!

From what I have read over on thirdgen.org, I think I am going to need to notch the kmember in order to clear the oil pan. There are only a few that have not had to make the notch. I'm thinking I may try to drop the motor in and see what the clearance looks like before hacking it up. Those that did the notch say that it needs to be 11" wide and 1-1.5" deep. The pan it self is about 9" wide. Only problem is, I don't have 220 in my garage for the welder. Might be draggin the car to my brother's garage.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looking forward to more pics.

Red
    99 Z28

We have two thirdgens that are awaiting this swap once we get the three 4th gens we have done.

Keep up with the progress updates!

Ray Charles blue

If you are taking pics in the stands my ass wants to take it for a country road cruise....lol

Maroon
    2000 z28 6 speed

subscribed

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Spent the day in the garage. I got a lot accomplished. It was nice working without the heat on and the door open. Temps were in the mid 50's today. I'll take it for January 7th!!! Fuel lines are all mocked up. Used stainless braided lines to replace the original lines which could have been used. Rear undercarriage of the car is painted along with the fuel tank. A arms were dropped for the second time in order to access the bolt holes for the Spohn motor mounts. It was a lot quicker the second time around. Clam shells were deriveted (if that is a word), cleaned up, painted and new poly mounts installed. I also put my new UMI short shifter and shifter ball on the trans to see what it will feel and look like. Tomorrow I am hoping to install the new fuel pump and get the rear of the car buttoned back together. I also plan on notching the K member. I talked to several people on thirdgen.org and have been told that since the motor is going in from the top, the pan will need the extra clearance to sneek by the k member along with having a little cushion room when fullly installed

IMAG0537.jpg

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

LS1FUELSYS-REV.jpg

This is the diagram that I got from thirdgen.org and used to set up my fuel lines from the rail to the stock sender. This made things simple to order from Summit being that all of the part #'s are listed on the diagram.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks great so far. Is the fuel pressure regulator integral with your pump?

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

fuel

The regulator/filter is external. I'm swapping the stock pump with a walbro 255.
    Last edited by pop6482; 01-07-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    1989 IROC: 6.0 LQ4/T56, Torquer V2, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, FAST 78mm TB, SPEC stg. 2, Stainless Works LT's, e-cutout, Magnaflow, Moser 12blt w/4.11's, BMR subframe connectors, strut tower brace, UMI lca's, panhard, torque arm

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Made good use of the plasma cutter and welder today. Between running to Lowes and Tractor Supply twice this morning (made an extension cord for the 220 that was able to reach my dryer outlet), my brother and I were able to get the K-member notched and boxed in for clearance of the oil pan. I realized last night that I forgot to order two fittings for the fuel lines. They should be here Tuesday, which means I'll be able to get the tank and rear back in the car. Jensen said the motor would be done mid January. So I am hoping for a call within the next week or two.

Red/Black
    1989 Camaro IROC

Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    We have two thirdgens that are awaiting this swap once we get the three 4th gens we have done.

Keep up with the progress updates!
    Sounds like you will be busy!! This seems to be a pretty basic swap. Lots of material to read about on thirdgen.org. Good luck with all of your work.

Ray Charles blue

I have those same jack stands. I need to get the ones for trucks too.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information