Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    I gotta ask.....Why are you performing a LS9 twin clutch install??? What kind of power did you add to your car to warrant this install????
    Car is being used by Katech to test fit their new LS9 Twin Disc kit for the 4th gen F-body. I'll leave it at that so we can keep this thread on topic.

PM me if you want more info.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    I looked for an A4 car because I want to drag race it,I found lots of deals on the M6's before I found my car.

A4 is way more consistant at the drag strip and your 10 bolt lasts longer.
    x2. i sold my m6 cause i kept getting the clutch pressure fade problem.when u install longtubes,it just makes things worse.i fabbed an exhaust shield,wrapped the line,did the drill mod,bled the clutch,and it still never went away totally.so for me,i wanted an a4 to get away from clutch issues.granted the a4 is a weak link,but if you get a builder that knows what they are doing,they can make one last just like a perfomabuilt or flt tranny.

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

i really wanted an m6 but i settled for an a4 because i got a hell of a deal that i just could not pass up

2002 trans am ws6

my two v6s(94 camaro & 02 firebird) were autos and i was a little tired of not getting to shift so i waited untill i found my m6 it took me 2 year but it was worth it. So no i would not change it for an A4

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    my two v6s(94 camaro & 02 firebird) were autos and i was a little tire of not getting to shift so i waited untill i found my m6 it took me 2 year but it was worth it. So no i would not change it for an A4
    in a way i wish that i would of done what you did but i got a hell of a deal on mine so i guess it was worth the sacrafice

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

What up LS1's.......OK i've been noticing a nice balance of either A4's OR M6's on some recent threads. My question (s) are as follows:

FOR THE A4's: Did you purchase an A4 because you WANTED an automatic, OR you weren't able to find a M6??????? If you had the choice NOW, would you trade for an M6?????
    I wanted a M6 but could only find an A4.
    With a converter and race built tranny. I see no reason to switch. Plus at the track an A4 is the only way to go.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I wanted a M6 but could only find an A4.
    With a converter and race built tranny. I see no reason to switch. Plus at the track an A4 is the only way to go.
    true thats one great thing to look at there just not as much fun to drive on the street thats all

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDLS1 View Post
    true thats one great thing to look at there just not as much fun to drive on the street thats all
    When you beat an M6 cause they mis-shifted or spin out. It will be fun.

Or that burger you want to hold. Or the girl in the passenger seat.

2002 trans am ws6

in a way i wish that i would of done what you did but i got a hell of a deal on mine so i guess it was worth the sacrafice
    I agree it is hard to turn down a good deal, a friend of mine wanted a manual. After a while he found a 99ss m6 with 129k miles and the dealer was asking 9 grand( I know sounds crazy but that's what they were asking for it). he wasn't so sure so he checked on the computer and and found a 99ws6 A4 for 6,000 with only 102k miles. so he got the ws6 instead of the ss.

2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    When you beat an M6 cause they mis-shifted or spin out. It will be fun.

Or that burger you want to hold. Or the girl in the passenger seat.
    Good point

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Thanks for the reply guys.....So, it sounds like the almighty dollar plays a bigger role than I thought. It seems a good deal is a good deal. It's also becoming obvious that it really depends on what one uses their F-body for.

One would think an M6 would be funner for the street, and the A4 would be more applicable and consistent at the track.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    my two v6s(94 camaro & 02 firebird) were autos and i was a little tired of not getting to shift so i waited untill i found my m6 it took me 2 year but it was worth it. So no i would not change it for an A4
    Yeah, this makes sense. I tend to agree with you on your point here. Mine was similiar as I had an auto IROC-Z for years and really wanted to shift gears manually. After driving my buddies LS1WS6T56, I was ready to make the change!

However I wouldn't mind having one Auto LS1 and one Manual LS1......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

What kind of deal are we talking???? How many miles did it have when you purchased it??? Just wondering......

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

When I set out to buy an Fbody several years ago I wanted an M6 but could only find A4's within the mileage and price range I wanted. My wife also made the case that she would rather drive an auto. So when I found a good deal I took it, no regrets. Then when I set I set out to replace my Z28 I didn't really care which one I ended up with since it's my DD and as previously mentioned, both have their strong points. I will admit that it is my prefrence to drive a manual but as far as practicality for a DD I am satisfied with my A4, I'm sure I will be more than satisfied once I throw a 3K stall on it

Although I do plan on getting a third car for weekend cruising, and hopefully by the time I have things sorted out I can be in a C5 or C6. If/when that ever happens it will have to be an M6. Even the wife agrees on that.
    Last edited by robcas47; 10-25-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    When I set out to buy an Fbody several years ago I wanted an M6 but could only find A4's within the mileage and price range I wanted. My wife also made the case that she would rather drive an auto. So when I found a good deal I took it, no regrets. Then when I set I set out to replace my Z28 I didn't really care which one I ended up with since it's my DD and as previously mentioned, both have their strong points. I will admit that it is my prefrence to drive a manual but as far as practicality for a DD I am satisfied with my A4, I'm sure I will be more than satisfied once I throw a 3K stall on it

Although I do plan on getting a third car for weekend cruising, and hopefully by the time I have things sorted out I can be in a C5 or C6. If/when that ever happens it will have to be an M6. Even the wife agrees on that.
    I like your disposition on this subject. Sounds like your wifes input is important to you on this subject and I respect that. Kinda makes me feel guilty......I purchased my F-Body, drove it home and surprised my wife. Needless to say the only thing that saved me was the fact it was a convertible! Outside of that I would have had a long trip driving it back to where I purchased it from!lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

no questions asked..i wanted the 4l60e so i could stall it and embarrass m6 owners ...remember gents ...unless you are road racing or hpe ...manuals are for impressing high school girls ...while the auto is for winning races

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    no questions asked..i wanted the 4l60e so i could stall it and embarrass m6 owners ...remember gents ...unless you are road racing or hpe ...manuals are for impressing high school girls ...while the auto is for winning races
    OK......does ANYONE disagree with Shady??? Any M6'ers want to respectfully challenge his above statement???? Personally, I have no clue, I don't street race that often OR go to the track so my opinion is mute......

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Hey Shady, did or have you at least driven M6's and found them more satisfying to DRIVE????

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Wanted M6, so I got M6.

Wanted fun to drive vehicle and also wanted better gear ratio. So, I gots M6.
    You should be careful of what you say.

A 3.23 rear gear with the automatics 1st gear of 3.06 gives you 45 mph at just under 6k rpms. With the 3.42 rear and the 1st gear of the T56 of 2.66 you are at 5.5k rpms at 45 mph.

See what this says? The 3.23 with the auto is steeper out of the hole than the 6-speed with the 3.42 gears. Unless my math is wrong and I highly doubt that it is.

Please factor all things in when you speak of "better" gears. You need to use tranny ratios, tire size, and the rear gear in order to give an accurate depiction as to what is "better". The reason GM gave automatics a little less gear than the manual tranny cars is not just for the overdrive differences between the two. It is also because of the steeper 1st gear in the automatics. Look back at the 70s with the LT1 Z28s. I believe 4-speeds were given 3.73 and the automatics were given the 3.42.

I wanted a 6-speed because my Corvette and my GTO were both but the car I found was an A4. It was nice, not beat, ran great, had low miles, and it would be used as a daily driver so the A4 was not a killer to me. Plus, my girl can drive it and I dont get worried about her "shifting abilitites" or lack there of.

For an everyday car I prefer the automatic but a 6-speed is not out of the way. As far as a toy car to get used once in a while I would prefer a 6-speed. For drag racing only I would sway towards the automatic for the consistency of it, however there is something to be said for those boys who can pilot the manual tranny cars to really REALLY low times and fast trap speeds.
    Last edited by TLS_Addict; 10-25-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: I used a 25" tall tire for my calculations.......lol

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

I like your disposition on this subject. Sounds like your wifes input is important to you on this subject and I respect that. Kinda makes me feel guilty......
    My wife and I both love cars and F-Bodies equally. She admits to not being as good a driver when it comes to a manual so I was reluctant to get an M6 to avoid any mishaps on her part and pretty much spare her the guilt or embarrassment. Since I knew she would be driving the car as much as I would, (and even more while I'm away), I leaned more towards an A4. The only reason we both agree on an M6 C5 or C6 is because she simply has always justed wanted own and drive a Vette, and I on the other hand just want to "drive" one.

Also, I agree that being able to have both an A4 and an M6 would be great because I like having an A4 DD, especially when in traffic trying to get on post. But there are also the fun lil burnouts, parking lot fun, and just plain mash'n it and keeping her straight . But then with a M6 I feel more involved with the car and the driving experience which makes it that much more of a treat. So for a car that is meant for pure recreational purposes I personally would want it to be a M6. Hope this makes sense to you all. Just my 2 cents...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information