Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by ls1BrownBoots
    I would drop the tank. I wouldn't cut a hole in my trunk floor. Just me. I find that half the time you go to replace the pump, the lock ring is rusted to the tank and you have to replace the tank and the pump together anyway. It would be a major bummer to find you have to drop the tank anyway after cutting a hole in your floor.
    often the top of the tank is rusted worse then the bottom because water gets trapped up there.
    Replace the TANK when you replace a fuel pump? Let's not be rediculous, the guy needs help, not a heart attack over something that makes no sense at all.

ls1BrownBoots
    Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Replace the TANK when you replace a fuel pump? Let's not be rediculous, the guy needs help, not a heart attack over something that makes no sense at all.
    dude i am not saying you have too, read my post more carefully please. I am only saying some time you must. If you have experience working on cars with higher mileage, or cars exposed to the weather you know what i am talking about. Some times the pump gets rusted in and you have to replace the tank as well. Fact of life: the pump is held in by a snap ring, and if it's rusted to the tank you ain't getting it out, thats the bottom line. This means replacing the tank and the pump together.

if he did it your way, you can add welding a patch panel in the trunk as well to cover the hole he just cut.

Maybe in texas the tanks don't get too rusted up top, not a lot of rain down there i guess, but up north, or here in new england, that sh1t rusts solid inside a few years. if he is in the same boat, he is going to have to replace his tank. The fact is the snap ring is only mild steel so she rusts quick.

I am trying to save the man from cuttin g a hole in the trunk of otherwise his nice ride.
    Last edited by ls1BrownBoots; 01-04-2006 at 04:58 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Hey, I don't support cutting an access hole myself either, but I have never seen a rusty tank here in Texas. It's a whole different world down here, I pity those who put their cars away for the winter. . .lol. I feel that there is always an alternative to replacing the tank, heck, put in an inline fuel pump.

ls1BrownBoots
    Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Hey, I don't support cutting an access hole myself either, but I have never seen a rusty tank here in Texas. It's a whole different world down here, I pity those who put their cars away for the winter. . .lol. I feel that there is always an alternative to replacing the tank, heck, put in an inline fuel pump.
    Oh hell yea, i put my ride away for the winter. Sucks but aint shit can do when there a foot of snow on the ground.
    I'm all about the external pump and a sump tank setup.

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Thanks for the help.

The car has been at Jay's just before the holiday. It was the pump I wound up getting the Racetronix seemed the best solution. I got it thru Thunder Racing they were extremely helpful and the Racetronix just drops rright in no customization. This is importnat cause I want to keep costs down at all cost.
    I decided to go the traditional drop th etank way so labor is going to be a nice chunk of change.

I haven't got her back yet I figured I shoudl get the brakes redone while it was in the shop. But, hopefully tomorrow I will get her back and I'll let you know how she runs.

thanks again
    Eddie

Thread Information