Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I believe it was an 8" Kicker running off a 180 watt Kenwood amp -- it just never had the volume or hit of the Bazookas imo.
    180watts is your problem...thats nothing for a subwoofer. Probably comes out to less than 100watts RMS which is pretty low.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It was 180 RMS bridged to run mono through a low pass filter into the Solobaric. I totally ignore that peak rating crap on audio stuff.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by mraya View Post
    yeah I tried putting a lens cleaner disc in there but since the CD player won't even read the disc, it's futile.

Yeah, I hear you about replacing the whole system. Today, I just discovered that one of the 4" speakers in the rear of the car is blown. Now, I gotta search for replacement for that.
    Like was mentioned before Kee Audio has what you need. I just replaced all my speakers with their level 2 kit and love it. They also sell entire packages from radio to the back with all the goodies. Not cheap but Quality never is. Ian was great to deal with and great communication
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Pretty much what Jeff stated above. Any high-end, quality amplifier will produce better sound with much lower wattage when coupled with a good subwoofer rated at that same output. You don't need a real high wattage output to get great bass. In fact, I question the really high output stuff.

I ran (2) MTX 12" subs, their lower end models, coupled with (2) Autotek amplifiers only rated at 225W and that system sounded amazing. The 3rd amp was a MTX Pro504 that ran (2) sets of Polk components. Everything was controlled (equalizer/sub settings/crossover) through a Kenwood Excelon CD player.

Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Pretty much what Jeff stated above. Any high-end, quality amplifier will produce better sound with much lower wattage when coupled with a good subwoofer rated at that same output. You don't need a real high wattage output to get great bass. In fact, I question the really high output stuff.

I ran (2) MTX 12" subs, their lower end models, coupled with (2) Autotek amplifiers only rated at 225W and that system sounded amazing. The 3rd amp was a MTX Pro504 that ran (2) sets of Polk components. Everything was controlled (equalizer/sub settings/crossover) through a Kenwood Excelon CD player.

Click for full size
    im not debating some amps are better than others. I was stating that 180rms for a kicker solobaric sub is low "unless you are purposely under powering it to lower the bass" any of the L series subs put out a massive amount of bass...I've seen a single L5 and an L7 run on 500watts rms and beg for more. I think the L7 maxes out at like 1000rms, which is crazy high and would rattle your eye balls if you actually set it up

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I understand. My point was though that I don't understand why some speakers are made for an input of 500-1000 rms watts. That system you see above, when the crossover and EQ settings were fine tuned, hit EXTREMELY hard and I was maybe only running 200W to each sub. I literally had to turn the gain down because the rear view mirror fell off, and every time to bass hit the CD player would skip. If I need 500-1000w with another setup to get the same results?? See what I'm saying? Lol. This goes back 10+ years when I was an audiophile freak.

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I understand. My point was though that I don't understand why some speakers are made for an input of 500-1000 rms watts. That system you see above, when the crossover and EQ settings were fine tuned, hit EXTREMELY hard and I was maybe only running 200W to each sub. I literally had to turn the gain down because the rear view mirror fell off, and every time to bass hit the CD player would skip. If I need 500-1000w with another setup to get the same results?? See what I'm saying? Lol. This goes back 10+ years when I was an audiophile freak.
    I understand what you are saying...the box and where it is located has a lot to do with it as well. I've had a single 10 in the back of a hatch that sounds like 2 12's because of the way the box and the hatch transports the sound into the rest of the vehicle. Our cars in particular do a fantastic job of amplifying bass in particular...I still swear by the stealth boxes because of the hatch and the way it makes a single sub sound.

Usually the subs "like an L7, W7, or Memphis Audio" that are rated at really high RMS ratings are more for competition than standard consumer use anyway...they release them to us, but the average consumer rarely ever taps into the potential of what they can and will do.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've been thinking of getting another system, but the problem I have is I never really drive my personal car anymore. I drive the company car around everywhere. They'd probably frown upon me customizing a system in it lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information