2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ahmadooo View Post
    nice car ......
    but still needs a bigger engine like the ZO6
    wut...

Whats the point? Just buy a z06.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Before the Grand Sport, when you wanted the wide body, you had to purchase the Z06 and pay another $25 grand. Along with it came better brakes and tires, better suspension, a dry sump oiling system, and an aluminum frame to go with that monster hand built 427 505hp motor.
    Now for about $5 grand more than the base model, you get the some of the same suspension pieces, the wide body and better brakes and tires, and a dry sump oiling system [on the manual trans model] and a hand built engine too.
    Now, how many people are STILL going to pony up an extra $20 grand for roughly 70 more HP, and the aluminum frame, which of course doesn't allow for the removable top.
    Not to mention how many guys want to order their Vettes with the Auto trans, or a Vert or BOTH a Vert with the Auto!
    Why not buy the GS and put $20 grand into it and blow away any stock Z06, and probably give most any ZR1 you may come across fits!
    I can only imagine what $20 g's would do in suspension mods, a Supercharger, etc... to a stock Grand Sport.
    Which begs the question...how long can GM really think that Z06 sales will justify keeping the model alive?

Pewter
    2002 Avalanche

this is bad ass

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Before the Grand Sport, when you wanted the wide body, you had to purchase the Z06 and pay another $25 grand. Along with it came better brakes and tires, better suspension, a dry sump oiling system, and an aluminum frame to go with that monster hand built 427 505hp motor.
    Now for about $5 grand more than the base model, you get the some of the same suspension pieces, the wide body and better brakes and tires, and a dry sump oiling system [on the manual trans model] and a hand built engine too.
    Now, how many people are STILL going to pony up an extra $20 grand for roughly 70 more HP, and the aluminum frame, which of course doesn't allow for the removable top.
    Not to mention how many guys want to order their Vettes with the Auto trans, or a Vert or BOTH a Vert with the Auto!
    Why not buy the GS and put $20 grand into it and blow away any stock Z06, and probably give most any ZR1 you may come across fits!
    I can only imagine what $20 g's would do in suspension mods, a Supercharger, etc... to a stock Grand Sport.
    Which begs the question...how long can GM really think that Z06 sales will justify keeping the model alive?

here is my take on the subject..i think the z06 will live on...what percentage of z06 owners mod their cars? so why would a potential z06 customer go for a GS and then spend 20k to make their car faster with mods that 99% of the time will void warranties etc. dispite the zr1...i think gm knows the z06 is really the "performance" model ..30k between a z and a zr1 is a lot and will deter a lot of buys...plus the z06 is /has always been in competition with the viper...so i see the z06 staying...now for the ls7...i herd a long time ago that gm was talking about canning the ls7..due to the fact that the ls9 would be hand built also in wicom right beside the ls7 and it would start to conflict between each other..but the ls7 is still around..and i can see it being around until the c7 in '12 or whenever it comes out.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Well, I hope you are correct in your statement about the Z06 living on, however regarding your statement regarding the canning of the LS7...how long ago could you have heard this rumor of the possible demise of the LS7 considering that the LS9 has only been in production for a little over a year now?
    I ask this question respectfully, not as a smartass, because I've not heard it, and it intriques me that they [GM] would consider dropping the LS7, seeing as it's the heart of the Z06.
    Here's food for thought, the last time I checked, a brand new crate engine LS7 went for about $10 grand. The potential Grand Sport owner could buy one, drop it in and still come out with an additional 10 g's for whatever he/she wanted to do with it.
    Don't get me wrong, if the GS was for sale when I bought my Z06, I still would have bought the Z06, hell if the ZR1 was on sale at the time, I probably would have bought one of them and be broke!

Red
    2001 WS6

Clint,
    I was wondering when you were going to jump into this thread! I was hoping to have a lil backing from a fellow Z06 owner!
    I def feel the same way you do! So if this is the case why dont Gm just make the base model a wide body to. I think this is what seperated the z06 and zr1 from the rest of the seen. They could have atleast left off the induction inlet on the front.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

guy is a rambling stuttering stammering idiot

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I have seen the grandsport and it looks good minus those forked wheels. I believe the z06 will be fine the same way the gt's don't deter gt500 owners or cobra owners. The masses don't mod there cars, but for those that do will have a sweet ride.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Well, I hope you are correct in your statement about the Z06 living on, however regarding your statement regarding the canning of the LS7...how long ago could you have heard this rumor of the possible demise of the LS7 considering that the LS9 has only been in production for a little over a year now?
    I ask this question respectfully, not as a smartass, because I've not heard it, and it intriques me that they [GM] would consider dropping the LS7, seeing as it's the heart of the Z06.
    Here's food for thought, the last time I checked, a brand new crate engine LS7 went for about $10 grand. The potential Grand Sport owner could buy one, drop it in and still come out with an additional 10 g's for whatever he/she wanted to do with it.
    Don't get me wrong, if the GS was for sale when I bought my Z06, I still would have bought the Z06, hell if the ZR1 was on sale at the time, I probably would have bought one of them and be broke!
    i herd about it right around the time serious talk about a deadline for the zr1 was made with their power-plant announcement. I would bet that when the c7 comes out..there would not be a ls7..even though it would be sweet c7 ls7 kind of thing...as you said..10k for a crate engine..the ls7 is not cheap to build..or is the ls9..that is a lot of money being spent to build two great engines by hand with high end parts ..that was the issue some of the execs were having. I wouldn't doubt the c7 z06 will have force induction..or possibly even a new redesigned ls7..with maybe the same displacement..but i bet it would be in the 6.x range of liters ..that will make more power...i like the 427 is about as high as we will see in the vettes.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Yes but the ls9 doesnt really need to be built, forged internals and a mostly titanium valve train means all you really need to do is put a better supercharger on it and 800whp-900whp would be possible

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Yes but the ls9 doesnt really need to be built, forged internals and a mostly titanium valve train means all you really need to do is put a better supercharger on it and 800whp-900whp would be possible
    I couldn't agree with you more, however I did see a short vid that mentioned that they were making so much hp with the LS7 that the block was suffering stress cracks and they (GM) were worried about warranty claims, and that the block might actually break, hence the LS9.

Arctic White, red/gray

I couldn't agree with you more, however I did see a short vid that mentioned that they were making so much hp with the LS7 that the block was suffering stress cracks and they (GM) were worried about warranty claims, and that the block might actually break, hence the LS9.
    HMMM, never heard that, i have seen the ls7 block taken to 1000whp so 1100-1200crank. Lingenfelter sells some nice ls7 packages with warrentys included. They sell a 616hp N/A package and a 800hp twin turbo package, both have 3 year 36kmile warrentys.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I like that...no...I need that!
    Seriously though, when the time comes, in quite a few years, I'm sure that my own Z06 will see a Supercharger.
    As it is, I very seldom have the room to use the power I have.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

The Z06 was what i always wanted and now people are going to be buying a grandsport and those damn ricers that do a hell of a lot to their hondas are going to own the gs and be like i beat a z06 this is just hurting the hardcore fans pride

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    The Z06 was what i always wanted and now people are going to be buying a grandsport and those damn ricers that do a hell of a lot to their hondas are going to own the gs and be like i beat a z06 this is just hurting the hardcore fans pride

Its still a damn near 450hp corvette if the ricers owns that he has some bragging rights IMO.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

true but i still want the zo6 its the sweetest car for the buck

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I think that's a shame, but it's their choice to expand the Corvette model options. With that said, the Z06 will still be a 'Z06' by name and if they do end up dropping the model, those of you who own one will start seeing a nice little value boost (granted you keep them in tip top shape).

Thread Information