Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

JAy sorry for seeing this thread late.

I also carry a Glock 23. Luv it. I've been teaching my son & niece on how to use it and also firearms safety. I'm retired Army so I've been around firearms all my life. Mods to mine are a 3.5 lb trigger, changed the recoil spring so that it ejects better, Tritium 3 dot night sights (luv these), extended slide release (his is a must in my opinion. It makes it easier to release the slide. I can do this with my right hand now instead of my left.) I also got 2 13 round magazines for carrying, but I recommend for ranges getting a few 15 round magazines for range use.

For range I use Winchester 165 grain target loads, box of 50 is about $19 here, 100 = $32.

For personal protection I carry Hydroshock rounds. IMO best round for protection, when it hits it really does its job.

I'm shopping for a 9mm for pistol competitions.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

lol Scott you have the same year of TA and the same gun as me. I just got my G30 SF. I'm alittle disappointed with this one. Right out of the box I loaded the mags and rock the slider to test it out. The rounds are getting jammed. Is like the slide is not going all the way forward. I tried both mags a few times and same results. I follow an advise of taking the gun apart and removing the glock OEM grease. I relube the gun with new grease. I excersice the slide and it feels more smooth. I loaded another mag and this time only one round got stuck. After that no more rounds had gotten stuck. I tried around 6 mags of ammo.

I started to read and found out that the G30SF had issues like this. Glock replaced the trigger with a new one. I check the part number and I do have the new style trigger in it. I also read that some people solved the issue by changing the recoil spring with a SS one. The OEM tends to bend and the spring catches preventing the slide from coming all the way forward. I'm not sure.

I'm goign to the range tomorrow and i'm shooting at least 100- 200 rounds and see what happens. If it jams again im calling glock. I did pay this much money to have issues like this from the box. Im going to try different ammo as well. I hope that the gun just nees some break in time. I have shot the G30SF before at the range when I rented. The gun performed perfect. im hoping either works fine tomorrow or Glock fixes it for me. I really like this small 45. If not I guess I can sell it and get me a full size G30 or G21. They are just alittle too big for my hand. Thats why I choose the SF model but I didnt knew about this issues. The G21 SF apparent has similar issues. Its a hit or miss some people say that their works fine.

red
    2000 Z28

What ammo are you using? When chambering a round, are you using the slide release lever, slingshot (pulling the slide back and letting go), or pulling the slide back and easing it forward? In my limited Glock experience, they "should" run right out of the box after cleaning the packing grease and relubing. After cleaning it and relubing, shoot the piss aout of it and let us know.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Update: I took the gun to the range with different brand of ammo. I tried remington, winchester white box, federal and windchester pdx-1 ammo.

The gun jams around 2 to 3 rounds of the PDX ammo. Very frustrating.

The practice ammo shots great in the range. But when I load the magazine majority of the time the slide I wont reset completely forward when i cock it. It has like a 1/8" gap in the front of the gun.

All of this happens with 9 or 10 rounds in th mag. it doesn't make a difference. I'm kinda of pissed at Glock. i payed for a brand new gun that doesn't perform. I left a message at Glock, hopefully they will contact me Monday. If they dont fix it or if it comes back with the issue i will be selling this gun or trading it even if i take a loss. Its just not worth it for me to keep buying ammo everytime to test it out. I shot around 150 rounds and 40 HP today. I should had gotten the G21 or G30 instead of this SF crap. Very dissapointed with Glock.

Some info I read is that they replaced the rigger with an upgraded version that solves the issue. i checked the part number and I have the upgraded trigger. 4256-1- is the part number. I also read some people were having issue with the recoil spring and mention that if you replace it with the stainless steel rod/spring the problem is solved. I don't want to keep putting money into it. Until the ammo feeds right by just pulling the slide and letting it go fast i wont be testing it anymore. I cant trust this gun right now....

My other 2 Glock shot perfect. This one no such perfection...
    Last edited by JayTA98; 08-13-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Update #2 my dealer got in touch with the distributor he uses. They agree to return the gun and exchange for a brand new G21. They are not charging him or me for shipping. Im kinda of happy with the outcome. As much as I would love to have the G30SF the issues I had and read all over the net made me change my mind. I really didnt want any other caliber except 45. The make the G21 SF but im staying away from SF models. One is enough!!!

As long as the G21 shoots perfect out of the box I will be satisfied. If anything later down the road i can trade it for future 45 model. I might get me an used G30(not sf) if i get a good deal in the future. The G30's dont have the issues of the SF models.

blue
    1999 TransAm

hmmm, yeah that not good.. could be a weak recoil spring, or a weak mag spring... mags can be a big point of failure, ...which is why it's good practice to carry at least an extra one... hopefully the new one works better... i'd try to get 200 rnds through it (range ammo), and a box or two of SD ammo before i'd feel good about carrying it or relying on it for home defense..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

yup thats what i kinda start suspecting as well. It seems like the timing of the slide vs loading was off. I just didn't want to throw money at it since it was brand new. Oh well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I haven't shot mine in a long time, but the last time I was out I had the same thing happening to me, or at least similar. I have an older S&W 9mm and after going through about 100 rounds it jams. The round does not eject after firing and I have to manually pull the slide back to get it to eject. I bought it used about 8 years ago now. Is there something I can do to alleviate this from happening? Sorry - no intent to threadjack

I don't know what model I have off-hand, but from looking at pictures online, it looks just like the Model 5906 - HG4150.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I haven't shot mine in a long time, but the last time I was out I had the same thing happening to me, or at least similar. I have an older S&W 9mm and after going through about 100 rounds it jams. The round does not eject after firing and I have to manually pull the slide back to get it to eject. I bought it used about 8 years ago now. Is there something I can do to alleviate this from happening? Sorry - no intent to threadjack

I don't know what model I have off-hand, but from looking at pictures online, it looks just like the Model 5906 - HG4150.
    when you clean it do you clean the groove in the extractor well? often missed during cleaning, crap can build up in there making it hard for it to get a good hold of the casing rim... i use some hoppes, and a "pick"-like tool to clean the groove..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    when you clean it do you clean the groove in the extractor well? often missed during cleaning, crap can build up in there making it hard for it to get a good hold of the casing rim... i use some hoppes, and a "pick"-like tool to clean the groove..
    I'll check it out in the next few days when I pull it apart again. Been awhile since I've cleaned it anyway so it will give me something to do. I'll let you know.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I'll check it out in the next few days when I pull it apart again. Been awhile since I've cleaned it anyway so it will give me something to do. I'll let you know.
    pick up a set of those cleaning brushes (look like toothbrushes, but w/ bronze or steel bristles) - those come in real handy for cleaning hard-to-reach grooves and such..

red
    2000 Z28

I'd definitely take a toothbrush and some CLP to the extractor hook area and just give it a quick clean/lube.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

agree with all the above 35th. If the extractor is dragging even abit it throws the casing extraction off. Then the slide is coming back too fast and it colides. I clean my extractor after 2 times in the range. By the way here is the new G21.

I just put the extended slide stop in it. I ordered the extended mag as well. The gun didnt jam at all. i ran 4 brands of ammo and about 150 rounds between FMJ and 50 JHP. The gun actually fits fine in my hand. I guess I must had tried a gen2 or earlier because the one I held it was way bigger than this one. The dealer called me today, they overnighted the gun. No additional charge for anything. The G21 has alittle more kick but is pretty accurate. Im trying to look for accesories to reduce the kick. I read if I buy the SS recoil spring rod it will help. Im trying to understand the different weight of springs (the pros and cons). Overall Im very happy with the G21. I kinda miss the G30 but I need a reliable gun. G21 welcome home next to the G19 and G23!!
    Last edited by JayTA98; 08-16-2011 at 06:26 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am Ws6

One of the big reasons I bought my HK P7 is due to its ability to cycle without the extractor. I know there is a slim chance of it breaking when if I ever need it, but it does bring some peace of mind.

red
    2000 Z28

Glad the distributor/dealer was able to make it right. As far as kick goes, I wouldn't mess around with spring weights unless you are rolling your own ammo and you can tailor the load to the spring you're using. I find that 40SW is flippy and 45ACP is more of a dull straight back thud. I track the sights easier with 45ACP than I do with 40SW because of the difference in recoil impulse.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

from all 3 off the I get the closer group of shots from my 40SW. Im sure with time I will get better with my 45. The subcompast dual recoil spring really absorbs alot of the recoil. The full size 45 has a single recoil spring. Thanks for the input guys.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

oh by way whats a good cleaning product for my glocks? and what kinda of grease or oil you use? I have been using shooters choice hig temp grease. it comes in a syringe.

blue
    1999 TransAm

don't know what the glock manual says, but i use hoppes #9 and breakfree CLP to clean, then a light coat on the inside of the barrel and exterior metal w/ CLP..and i use hoppes oil on the lube points; generally a dab on the slide rails front and back, a dab on the barrel near the muzzle... don't want to overlube either...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I use hopps number 9 too. I do not have a glock though but I have a springfield armory XDM which is somewhat like a glock.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks i guess I will look around for CLP. I havent seen it yet. Can I use any gun cleaner? spray or foam? Or do I have to be careful about damaging the surfaces?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information