Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    With the Trex you definaetely need some high lift dual springs. Nobody gets their heads ported. Usually just buy a set of worked 5.3s or LS6s.
    I ported mine and it made a big difference, I was able to get a lot of metal put of them . I was some work and took about 5 hours of grinding and sanding.....if you hit the wrong spot in the runner you can trash a set of heads quick

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    I ported mine and it made a big difference, I was able to get a lot of metal put of them . I was some work and took about 5 hours of grinding and sanding.....if you hit the wrong spot in the runner you can trash a set of heads quick
    Well I said usually.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

With the Trex you definaetely need some high lift dual springs. Nobody gets their heads ported. Usually just buy a set of worked 5.3s or LS6s.
    He mentioned he's worried about cost, whats wrong with porting the stock heads?

hugger orange

Well I said usually.
    lol true
    well I'll put it to you this way, it was a lot of work, and if I didn't have the experience that I have, I would have never tried it myself.
    lol after about an hour into the porting job I was wishing I never started.....but after it was done and back together it was all worth it

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Well if he knows a good guy then go for it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Nothing, if you know something about what your doing. Its actually really hard to port your own heads and have it be beneficial without the help of a flow bench. When I got to port LS1 heads, I had the luxury of a Superflow flow bench. And I also had multiple heads to test on. Its really hard to tell where to take material from and where to leave it unless you have done it before many time... with a flowbench.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Nothing, if you know something about what your doing. Its actually really hard to port your own heads and have it be beneficial without the help of a flow bench. When I got to port LS1 heads, I had the luxury of a Superflow flow bench. And I also had multiple heads to test on. Its really hard to tell where to take material from and where to leave it unless you have done it before many time... with a flowbench.
    man I'd love to have access to a flow bench, all I had was flow theory, and a cutout chunk of head to show where and how deep to go.... and more importantly where not to go too deep (the little hump in the top of the runner where coolant runs under the valve seat)

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by TrexWs6 View Post
    I just bought the t-rex camshaft 242/248 .608/.612 110 from thunder racing . i havent had it installed yet because im lost for what else i need . im keeping the stock heads and valves . Any advise ?
    where in the country are you located?

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    lol true
    well I'll put it to you this way, it was a lot of work, and if I didn't have the experience that I have, I would have never tried it myself.
    lol after about an hour into the porting job I was wishing I never started.....but after it was done and back together it was all worth it
    really? i love porting. im making power while drinkin beer. . .it's technical but mindless at same time.

LS1 heads best bang for buck. ported LS1's outflow similarly ported LS6 castings until mid range, whereafter the ls6's flow advantage is marginal. i have heavily ported ls6 on my car 'cuz i got them for free but i've ported plenty of ls1 castings, ran plenty, etc etc. if i didn't twist my car to 7 grand i wouldn't have even bothered. if i was a drag racer, sure i'd go for ls6s, but you ALREADY HAVE LS1 heads.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    really? i love porting. im making power while drinkin beer. . .it's technical but mindless at same time.

LS1 heads best bang for buck. ported LS1's outflow similarly ported LS6 castings until mid range, whereafter the ls6's flow advantage is marginal. i have heavily ported ls6 on my car 'cuz i got them for free but i've ported plenty of ls1 castings, ran plenty, etc etc. if i didn't twist my car to 7 grand i wouldn't have even bothered. if i was a drag racer, sure i'd go for ls6s, but you ALREADY HAVE LS1 heads.
    I guess it wouldn't have been as bad if I took breaks, but I went full bore for 5 hours strait lol hands, arms and my hurt bad after that....maybe I'm just getting old lol

red
    2000 camaro ss

well my hands get numb from the grinding. . .or beer. . . .or both. . .i like to acquire a different set of castings so i don't have to rush to get them back on the car. at this point, it's just fun to see how much power i can make.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by side2000 View Post
    well my hands get numb from the grinding. . .or beer. . . .or both. . .i like to acquire a different set of castings so i don't have to rush to get them back on the car. at this point, it's just fun to see how much power i can make.
    I was dhocked at the sound level difference. small cam and port job with the same exhaust is so much louder than the stock cam and heads

red
    2000 camaro ss

sure is, get your decks milled and it'll sound even more ravenous.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information