Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    worth noting here is that the camaro i assume had summer performance tires on compared to the mustang with all seasons on. so i would like to see the 60 ft times as i am sure there is quite the traction difference ....i dont understand why reviews cant review similar optioned cars.
    Not only 60 ft times, but handling, skid pad and braking will all be effected by tire.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The Camaro was running summer performance rubber while the Mustang was running all season performance rubber? Sounds like an unfair BS comparison test to me.

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    oh SNAP! edmunds tests a manual camaro against a 2011 stang... transamws6 is gonna SHIT!

On the quarter-mile at Auto Club Speedway in lush, parklike Fontana, California, IL's long-term Camaro SS whomped to 60 mph from a standstill in just 5.1 seconds with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The full quarter-mile went by in 13.1 seconds at 110.4 mph.

Our red Mustang GT (on all-season Pirelli P Zero Nero tires) matched the Camaro SS's blast to 60 mph by hitting that speed in an identical 5.1 seconds from a standstill with the traction control turned off (4.8 seconds with 1 foot of rollout). But the quarter-mile took another two-tenths to complete with a slightly lower trap speed, 13.3 seconds at 107.3 mph

On the slalom course, the Mustang GT waltzes through at a respectable 65.9 mph while the Camaro goes full blitz at 68.2 mph. At the skid pad the Mustang orbits at 0.87g, while the Camaro is slightly better at 0.89g. The Camaro may not win the argument when it comes to the sense of subjective engagement by the driver, but its handling performance is undeniably impressive.

The Brembo-equipped Camaro dominates the braking zone with consistent 111-foot stops from 60 mph. The best that the Mustang can do on its all-weather rubber is 117 feet. We should note, however, that the blue Mustang GT with the optional Brembos and summer tires did the job in just 109 feet.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    worth noting here is that the camaro i assume had summer performance tires on compared to the mustang with all seasons on. so i would like to see the 60 ft times as i am sure there is quite the traction difference ....i dont understand why reviews cant review similar optioned cars.
    because that only makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    The Camaro was running summer performance rubber while the Mustang was running all season performance rubber? Sounds like an unfair BS comparison test to me.
    just like always running the stang with the optional 3:73's instead of the standard gears hey...

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Not only 60 ft times, but handling, skid pad and braking will all be effected by tire.
    wont really effect trap speed though

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

because that only makes sense.

just like always running the stang with the optional 3:73's instead of the standard gears hey...
    i agree completely ..it works both ways...

2006 GTO

It is interesting to see comparisons and caution should be taken when reading them. For example, look at Motor Trends comparison last year comparing the same threesome, but was the 2010 Mustang GT. The tests on the Camaro were quite different.

I have seen skid pad ratings on the OE Camaro to range from .88g to .92gs That is a very serious difference to say the least. Assuming all the tests that I have seen have been performed by equal quality drivers, then variations in road surfaces, tire pressures, temperature of the track, radius of the track, etc, all have very big influences on the final outcome.

I put a spread sheet together on what the Motor Trend Test showed to make it easier for me to save comparative data (I guess I am a little slow. LOL)

There are a lot more things to think about between the 2 platforms. For me, back seat spacing. The Camaro is seriously tight but the Mustang is seriously worse. Also styling. I think most people will buy the vehicles for the styling, as long as they do not have either the Ford or GM chromosomes in the genetic mix. LOL

Would changing brands based on a quarter mile performance difference of .4 seconds, make the difference for you? I would bet the average Joe who roadtests both of them, would not feel the differences in any of the tests performed. With that said, as mentioned already, it s the styling, and heritage, that I think drives these 2 rides.

Pedders has a huge amount of experience with Mustang right now. In fact, by June I think we will have an entire product line to support the Mustang. We have one now, and with fixing all the irregularites in the car, especially a lot of geometry changes that occur lowering her that you do not experience with the Zeta platfrom on the Camaro, the fully Pedderized Mustang is a seriously high performing ride. We have not done the final testing yet because the weather in upper Michigan has not been cooperative for testing. But I can tell you our Pedderized Camaro can turn a 1.38gs and Paul Tracy, who has driven in on the track, advised us not to change a thing except for brakes. When he tested it, we still had the OE brakes on it.

Here is Paul Tracy driving our Pedders Camaro at the Optima Challenge"
    The Pedders Camaro was the 3rd fastest vehicle there, and 7 seconds faster than the next 2010 Camaro, and 20-25 seconds faster than the average other 2010 Camaros. For the record, the fastest vehicle was a 1800lb AC cobra putting down 600hp plus, and the next 2 were 68-69 Camaros built for serious racing (at least they were Camaros!!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myksIzDGNHw[/ame]

Now I cannot show pictures yet of the new Pedders Mustang because we are still in the "beautification" process plus we still need to complete the engine work (blower and programming) The engine is already running long tubes.

thanks
    mike
    dms

Arctic White, red/gray

wont really effect trap speed though
    It does, just not alot compared to et.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    This.

Big Hammer, that test was bullshit for sure man.

The GT is a definently an upgrade from the 5th gen, it's just a much, much better car for your money. You get a better interior than the Camaro, you are obviously getting better performance in the twisties and in a straight line, and it is definently the better looking car by a longshot, IMO. Ford really did well with this new Mustang, especially the V6, which is just an incredible deal, and I may sound like a fanboy to most of you, but hey, you have got to give credit where it is due.

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    This.

Big Hammer, that test was bullshit for sure man.

The GT is a definently an upgrade from the 5th gen, it's just a much, much better car for your money. You get a better interior than the Camaro, you are obviously getting better performance in the twisties and in a straight line, and it is definently the better looking car by a longshot, IMO. Ford really did well with this new Mustang, especially the V6, which is just an incredible deal, and I may sound like a fanboy to most of you, but hey, you have got to give credit where it is due.
    I agree 100%. And until GM gets off their ass, the long awaited Z/28 will be a dinosaur. By 2012, 556HP will be nothing. With Roush, Saleen and Shelby playing with the 5.0 and 5.4 aluminum Ford GT motor, 600HP is going to be seen by then.
    My 2009 Roush P51B is pushing 539 at the wheels, completely stock. Given the loss of 15-18%, 600+HP is already on the streets.
    GM needs a wake up call and they need it yesterday!!!

Arctic White, red/gray

You have to remember they are making this car in a certain price range, isnt the p51b a 60k+ msrp. The z28s competition is the 48kmsrp gt500 and the new version will have 550-560hp just like the z28.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    I agree 100%. And until GM gets off their ass, the long awaited Z/28 will be a dinosaur. By 2012, 556HP will be nothing. With Roush, Saleen and Shelby playing with the 5.0 and 5.4 aluminum Ford GT motor, 600HP is going to be seen by then.
    My 2009 Roush P51B is pushing 539 at the wheels, completely stock. Given the loss of 15-18%, 600+HP is already on the streets.
    GM needs a wake up call and they need it yesterday!!!
    I really think that is where Ford is winning the race .. seems that Ford is learning off of Rousch and Shelby and just keep making better cars .. While I dont think GM has anything like that .. to bad they killed PONTIAC , they always had great engineers so if Chevy came out with something Pontiac could do a one up on them...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

This thread has moved wayyyy to far away from the Original topic, I think it's time to end it.

If you guys want to continue to discuss the Camaro vs. Mustang, Snaggles started another thread for you:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135818

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread Information