Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

And I know people who have broken both! That doesn't prove anything! 12 bolts now-a-days can be built to the same standards.

Either way, theyre too expensive.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Yeah I think Fireball broke his 9 inch w/Detroit locker. After about 6 years of MASSIVE abuse. Yes they can break too but if you actually believe a 12 bolt holds up as well as a 9 inch w/locker then I don't have to try to prove your ignorance, you do that very well all by yourself.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

You should just leave this thread!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    You should just leave this thread!
    Why, you are wrong. It's common knowledge. Keep reading. (and learning)

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I have built plenty of rears both kinds!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Wow! I'm just going to AGREE TO DISAGREE!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

All good. Fwiw I have a 12 bolt in my car and like it.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

well if were on this subject.... i guess it all depends on how, and who, builds the rear end. lets start out with this. I have a customer that owns a late 80's impala. modified full frame car that has the stock 8.5 corporate 10 bolt in it. he's running 29.5x10.5w slicks, 5500 stall w/ TH400 and transbrake. get this... he has a pontiac headed BBC that flywheels 1128! single carb on gas, no power adders. this is a low 9 second car that weighs 3900 pounds!

i personally built the rearend in that car and did basically all you can do. and its been in that car for 2 full seasons now. its the same process you can do to any gm or ford salisbury style rearend (10 bolt, 12 bolt, 8.8 ford, etc).

so if you all are gonna go back and forth and say who don't know what, then maybe you all should reconsider what you say before you know any of the facts.

Strange makes a dropout style center section for the 9" ford that uses a 12 bolt ring and pinion. so whats up with that then?

a 12 bolt gearset takes less power to run. so then why dont prostock cars use them? because theres a limit to their design with reliability in that power range. the dropout 12 bolt setup is designed for dragsters or comp-eliminator cars that are looking for every thousandth. Strange will tell you not to put it in a heavier car w/ alot of power.

so for the guy with all the friends with broken 12 bolts... maybe look to get someone else to set them up. same thing for the ford 9" the factory cases are very limited to the power they can take. thats why the aftermarket has many options on them. the factory cases are good for dirt track cars, and thats about it. but then a good 9" case will start to raise the cost of an assembly.

heres my suggestion. Strange S60. superb quality, cheaper than the 12 bolts and 9"s, virtually bulletproof.

Bright Rally Red
    01 Camaro SS M6

That is my planned path.....Strange S60! It may weigh more but its a give and take world + you can remove a few things to get back to where you started weight wise.

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Bad information!!!! A 12 BOLT is just as good as a 9"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't know where you came up with that but your wrong.

The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.

The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.

The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting.
    That came from Bob at EPP.
    I don't care if you believe this but it is right.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Although they don't show the 12 bolt here, the 9 inch seems to dwarf the d60 (which is a bigger version of the 12 bolt) in this comparison. Case closed!
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 12-13-2006 at 04:16 PM.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

12 bolt... 8.875 ring gear.
    9" ford... 9.00 ring gear
    S60........9.75 ring gear.

theres goods and bads about all of them. depends on the power, weight of the car, and flat $ you wanna spend to decide which is best for you.

Hands down... the Strange S60 is the way to go for reliability, power input, and cost. best bang for the buck, all ABS works, no floor pan mods req'd., through bolt design for the torque arm.

stab it and steer it!

red
    99 Z28 SS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Although they don't show the 12 bolt here, the 9 inch seems to dwarf the d60 (which is a bigger version of the 12 bolt) in this comparison. Case closed! Click for full size
    that wasnt a very fair comparison... they were using a aftermarket high-strength Ford cap and comparing it to a stock Dana 60. and the pinion gear size depends on manufactuer. you can get basically the same ratio with different teeth count. there isnt anything wrong with a 9" Ford rear. i've used many, many of them. i just think for the f-body application the 12b or S60 is the best for the average guy that is still driving on the street. if its a track only car... hell yes to the 9" (with an aftermarket case).

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

the answer to the 10 bolt ???????---is that even when fully built an m6 must granny shift, or you will blow out the differential....i built my 10 bolt up with everything and the fucker stayed alive untill one day it just blew up....F.U.B.A.R.----AND IT WAS SOLID SPACER , T/A COVOR , WELDED TUBES, GEARS ,EATON..THE WORKS....BUT SHE BLEW UP---but the thing will definately hold up longer.my 1st gear to 2nd gear was a hard dump and when it usually spins just a lil it grabbed and boom....but is it worth it......with all the money i spent on rebuilding the rear like 5 times i could have had the 12 bolt.......

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by breakparts View Post
    the answer to the 10 bolt ???????---is that even when fully built an m6 must granny shift, or you will blow out the differential.
    Not necesarilly. It's more like luck of the draw. Some hold up to stuff most people wouldn't believe and others blow up with a simple firm shift going down the street on street tires.

ILL SKEET IN YUR EYE

black on black on black
    02 z28

yah i broke my 10 bolt when i was all stock once also----only running 555-r tires.....i had downshifted to 1st from 2nd gear and like EMERIL says BAAAM!

Thread Information