137 44.05%
  • 03-04 cobra

174 55.95%
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 212223839404142

Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    at least theyre paved...
    Have you ever driven in Detroit?? THE worst roads ever.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianGoat View Post
    Have you ever driven in Detroit?? THE worst roads ever.
    is it the roads or the people walking them?

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    I am perplexed by the bigger than 275 statement. Really! I know it is not an attack but seriously I have seen many cars put bigger tires on and solve their traction problems on the street to an extent by adding more rubber. Also if you have to do all of those things you mentioned to add some stock sized F-body tires under the severely traction limited GTO then I think it is not an ideal set-up. I guess the GTO's I saw had the narrow wheel well option. What ever happened to the wide track optioned tigers??? I like both cars but the GTO rear suspension is very soft probably the reason why it feels so good while driving. Because it is soft the rear squats terribly hard on them and the looks have not always been the best IMHO. The best thing they did to them was put an LS2 in them!
    Wide-track is actually a marketing scheme from the 60s. They really didnt make the cars any wider. lol I see they got to you though! j/k man!

No GTO's have the "narrow wheel option". Actually the upgraded 18" wheels have a slightly smaller width than the normal tires (275/45/17s). Not ALL F-bodies came with 275s either however they do fit on all of them .

You dont have to do all those things to get the tires to fit either. I ran my 275s on the back of my GTO for a few months but I wanted something to help with the wheel hop so I put on the drag bags. Most guys I know dont need anything to fit the 275s on the rear.

Reason for the GTO's soft rear is 1. they used cheaper springs for the USA model (stupid GM!), 2. is because they were strapped down for the ride over here from down under.....

My point is that for your every day driving on the street you dont "need" a tire bigger than 275s. If you only drive smooth you dont need tires bigger than that. Now, if you street race yes but normal driving I dont think so.

Best thing they could have done is beef up the suspension on them. The LS2 was a good idea but they are oil drinkers in some cases. Not of issues with them, hence the short lived life they had compared to the LS1. Granted small revisions but the LS1 was around for what, 8 years?

at least theyre paved...
    Call it what you want but its more like pavement that is now broken and held together by bird shit. lol

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    how much dough would you have to dump into a gto in order get....say 305/315s to fit?
    On the one GTO dot com place they say how to do it. They use different offset wheels as well as cut/roll the 1/4s. Its tough but can be done. Some guys even get 275s under the front but its not for the regular guy.

I liked my GTO with the 245/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R on the front and the Nitto 555 275/45/17s on the rear. My Z28 with 275s feels like the front is heavy and it tracks horrible on bridges and follows the grooves in roads and shit where as my GTO didnt do that quite as much. My Corvette had the 255s on the front vs the 285s on the rear. Actually would like to run a little smaller tires on the front of the Z28 so it doenst track.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

is it the roads or the people walking them?
    Bent my rim on these roads.

I also avoid all railroad tracks around here as well (in the car).

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Wide-track is actually a marketing scheme from the 60s. They really didnt make the cars any wider. lol I see they got to you though! j/k man!

No GTO's have the "narrow wheel option". Actually the upgraded 18" wheels have a slightly smaller width than the normal tires (275/45/17s). Not ALL F-bodies came with 275s either however they do fit on all of them .

You dont have to do all those things to get the tires to fit either. I ran my 275s on the back of my GTO for a few months but I wanted something to help with the wheel hop so I put on the drag bags. Most guys I know dont need anything to fit the 275s on the rear.

Reason for the GTO's soft rear is 1. they used cheaper springs for the USA model (stupid GM!), 2. is because they were strapped down for the ride over here from down under.....

My point is that for your every day driving on the street you dont "need" a tire bigger than 275s. If you only drive smooth you dont need tires bigger than that. Now, if you street race yes but normal driving I dont think so.

Best thing they could have done is beef up the suspension on them. The LS2 was a good idea but they are oil drinkers in some cases. Not of issues with them, hence the short lived life they had compared to the LS1. Granted small revisions but the LS1 was around for what, 8 years?
    Yeah I remembered that marketing scheme hence the reason why I mentioned it. I thought it was funny!

Key here being that all 4th Gen F-bodies will fit 275's with no issues. I have seen many people with problems fitting 275 and bigger under the GTO's. With the 275's it was mostly rubbing and a few catching on the fenders due no rolling of them. I was very surprised by the amount if issues with sticking other tires under them. Anyway glad it worked for some because they need it!

Yes, daily driving doesn't require anything bigger than stock, but who really daily drives their car and never has fun with it a time or two.?. If you do that then you may wanna re-check the reason you have such a car and think of trading it for a Prius.

I know I run 255's on the front of my TA and it makes driving much better when you have those grooved roads and such. Plus I think it looks better with a slight stagger.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Packy View Post
    Yeah I remembered that marketing scheme hence the reason why I mentioned it. I thought it was funny!

Key here being that all 4th Gen F-bodies will fit 275's with no issues. I have seen many people with problems fitting 275 and bigger under the GTO's. With the 275's it was mostly rubbing and a few catching on the fenders due no rolling of them. I was very surprised by the amount if issues with sticking other tires under them. Anyway glad it worked for some because they need it!

Yes, daily driving doesn't require anything bigger than stock, but who really daily drives their car and never has fun with it a time or two.?. If you do that then you may wanna re-check the reason you have such a car and think of trading it for a Prius.

I know I run 255's on the front of my TA and it makes driving much better when you have those grooved roads and such. Plus I think it looks better with a slight stagger.
    I agree 100% on the stagger! I was thinking of dropping down the front size a little bit or upping the rear size. lol

The tire issue is partly due to the off-set/back spacing of the stock wheels. Some aftermarket ones fix that issue but its stupid to have to do that. Just think, the GTO only has 235s in some countries. hahah

Between the wheel hop issues (that can be fixed) and the thinner tires (can be fixed) they are traction limited. However, running a tire like the Potenza tires I did (RE-01R) hooks pretty close to a drag radial which makes up for the lack of size.

First GM car to get it right was the 1990 ZR1 by putting 315s on the back. lol

I still pick GTO though as I had one and yes, I could have had a Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, or Cobra Mustang but after driving it and figuring I needed more room than the Corvette, the driving experience and the fit and finish was the deciding factor for me. Though it may look like a bigger Cavalier the interiors are much nicer than the other alternatives I looked at.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

bump
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Bumping a 4 year old thread. I like your style

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

haha yeah man. my bro started it so long ago and there was so much bickering back and forth had to....

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 212223839404142

Thread Information