Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wrx sti?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i think what year it is plays a big factor.

07 was the last year before the hatchback, which ive heard they dropped the ball on, and also that 07 was the best year

I rode in an 07 a few times, slightly modded, and it was fast as shit.

black
    2002 firebird trans am

in 09 the wrx is a lot faster then any previous year, the wrx had a quarter mile time of 13.5 (i think) and the 09 sti's had a time of 13.4sec. 2008 wrx were a bit slow and had soft suspension.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post

07 was the last year before the hatchback, which ive heard they dropped the ball on, and also that 07 was the best year

05 was the best year for the STI.

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    LS1 cars are faster off the line then they are but as the race goes on they will catch us, especially in corners. The 4wd actually causes them to take off slower do to the large tq loss through the drivetrain. In a quarter, itd be close but id have to say LS1 would prevail. I have played with one for a lil over an 1/8 mile and was several lengths ahead but he was making ground fast.
    This should be the other way around, because they have no top end. The awd will hook better than our cars off the line.....You must have experienced a rare occurrence....I am talking 1/4, no turns...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post

What is your definition of "fast as shit" lol??

I've ridden in plenty of STI's, none were anything close to what I would call fast. My friend has a Cobb Stage 2 '05 STI, and its quick, but certainly not "fast as shit".

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    This should be the other way around, because they have no top end. The awd will hook better than our cars off the line.....You must have experienced a rare occurrence....I am talking 1/4, no turns...
    Exactly. With their short gearing and AWD, STi's accelerate 1st through 3th gear very quickly. However, once you get on the highway, you might as well get out and push - they just completely run out of steam on the top end.
    Last edited by Wesman; 02-24-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

AWD hooks hard off the line and doesnt fall on its face up top it just acts like a normal car once the wheels are moving. Its has as much top end as any 3300lbs car with 230-240whp should, but off the line it seems much faster thanks to its AWD.

white
    2000 Z28

never had a chance to play with any 07+ but 06- arent much until a nice wad of cash is spent. but again stockish isnt a problem if you know your racing. 07 was supposed to be a nice jump in power.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    never had a chance to play with any 07+ but 06- arent much until a nice wad of cash is spent. but again stockish isnt a problem if you know your racing. 07 was supposed to be a nice jump in power.
    The 04-2009 sti have the same basic power. If your refering to the plain old WRX the performance jump wasnt until 2009.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98Hardtop View Post
    05 was the best year for the STI.
    i doubt the 05's even hold a candle to the newer ones being the same as the 06 and all

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i raced one 3 times in my formula from a dig.....he beat me twice when he honked the start...i spun like crazy both times....the last race i won when we had a 3rd party flagger...he claims he missed a gear...maybe so...but i definately celebrated with a few donuts at the end of the street right in front of him lol....for some reason he was amazed that i could do that with an auto...

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The 04-2009 sti have the same basic power. If your refering to the plain old WRX the performance jump wasnt until 2009.
    probably my friend trying to talk up the car he wanted as opposed to what he had. thinkin back he was the type where any newer car could beat an older car because it was newer.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    AWD hooks hard off the line and doesnt fall on its face up top it just acts like a normal car once the wheels are moving. Its has as much top end as any 3300lbs car with 230-240whp should, but off the line it seems much faster thanks to its AWD.

Don't get me wrong they are quick, but OP was comparing the STI's to an LS1... and once you get in the 100's (stock for stock), the LS1's will reel them in. I understand the 08's and 09's are a tad quicker though. I think the Evo's are a tad quicker than the STI but still a driver's race.

Arctic White, red/gray

Don't get me wrong they are quick, but OP was comparing the STI's to an LS1... and once you get in the 100's (stock for stock), the LS1's will reel them in. I understand the 08's and 09's are a tad quicker though. I think the Evo's are a tad quicker than the STI but still a driver's race.
    I never said anything you said was wrong. I use to pull stock turbo/cam evos and stis all the time up top. The most your gonna get out of a stock turbo on 93 octane is 104-108mph trap speed.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

The 04-07 pretty much made the same power figures. Actually the 2007 has 293 hp vs the 300 hp in the 04-06 models. No increase in power.

i doubt the 05's even hold a candle to the newer ones being the same as the 06 and all
    Do you even know what you are talking about? Your above implies you don't.

The 05 STI is considered among the subie enthusiasts the better one to have among the GD series cars(04-07) as it has the least problems of them all. As for the GR cars 08+, they make 305 hp have been having tuning issues and some customers have been having the ringlands in their "stock" engines go down the shitter and the modified ones as well. That is why there was a recall for the ECU reflash for the 08 models and the ringlands are somewhat of a known issue for the 09's. 2010's haven't been out long enough to know if they still have the problem or not.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The 05 STI is considered among the subie enthusiasts the better one to have among the GD series cars(04-07) as it has the least problems of them all. As for the GR cars 08+, they make 305 hp have been having tuning issues and some customers have been having the ringlands in their "stock" engines go down the shitter and the modified ones as well. That is why there was a recall for the ECU reflash for the 08 models and the ringlands are somewhat of a known issue for the 09's. 2010's haven't been out long enough to know if they still have the problem or not.
    My friend has an '05 STi and as far as I know he's had no problems with it.

The '08+ models though (new hatchback bodystyle), from what I've seen, heard, and read, are some of the biggest pieces of shit. Car and Driver had one in their long term test fleet, and the thing basically ended up needing an entirely new powertrain. Everything failed. After they replaced everything else they thought the engine was at least salvageable, and then it failed a compression test so it was replaced too. The car spent more time at the dealer than it did in C&D's test fleet.

white
    2000 Z28

The 04-07 pretty much made the same power figures. Actually the 2007 has 293 hp vs the 300 hp in the 04-06 models. No increase in power.

its more along the lines of i dont care about the newer lack of reliability. all i know is this thread is about the racing not longevity, which boils down to which is faster. so which one is faster the 05sti or 10sti? that is the subject of this thread performance not reliability.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

its more along the lines of i dont care about the newer lack of reliability. all i know is this thread is about the racing not longevity, which boils down to which is faster. so which one is faster the 05sti or 10sti? that is the subject of this thread performance not reliability.
    The newer models are actually slower than the old ones.

Here is the 08+ model:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...61b0f0b58d.pdf

13.6 @ 102MPH

2007 STI:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...20177a9239.pdf

13.4 @ 102MPH

Pretty damn close really.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The newer models are actually slower than the old ones.

Here is the 08+ model:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...61b0f0b58d.pdf

13.6 @ 102MPH

2007 STI:

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...20177a9239.pdf

13.4 @ 102MPH

Pretty damn close really.
    thanks for the answer. and thanks for pushing my interest further from subaru's due to their company taking steps backwards.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

So basically what you are saying is you don't know what the hell you are talking about. Thanks, but I figured that much already from your other clueless posts.
    Guess what? It wasn't about what year that is faster. The comment came about as the 07 being the best STI, which I mentioned from first hand experience that many consider the 05 to be the best STI because of the reliability and less problems those years have. Then you come up with this gem that makes no sense at all.
    The point is is that it doesn't matter how fast you are if your engine has a good chance in hurting it during the race. Maybe in your mind, you were referring to which is faster, but that is not what was being debated.

and thanks for pushing my interest further from subaru's due to their company taking steps backwards.
    Yeah like you know what the hell you are talking about. Sorry, but Subaru has a 95% customer loyalty rating, they have won Motortrend's SUV of the year award 2 years in a row with 2 redesigned vehicles. Honda and Subaru tied for best all around vehicles by consumer reports for 2010 and all of Subaru's vehicles have top picks for IIHS ratings for 2010 as well. Plus they continue to shatter sales records month after month to the point where the plants are working 7 days a week and overtime to make enough cars so the dealers can sell them. In 2008 when every automobile manufacturer was hitting lows, Subaru and Fiat were the only 2 companies in the US to post sales increases and they did it again in 2009. Seems to me they are doing it right because they have more than one vehicle that targets a particular group of people. The WRX/STI targets just a very very small piece in their customer demographics compared to the Forester, Legacy and Outback and regular Impreza lineup. I would say 90% of my service customers have had 3+ previous Subaru's or currently have 2 in their stable.

Anymore nonsense you want to toss around that you have absolutely no idea about?
    Last edited by 98Hardtop; 02-24-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Talon awd
    1971 cuda/2000 Z28 6spd

As hard as it is for me to beleve,I actually agree with wesman for a change.I know a guy who went through 3 engines in a 08 STI, it ran a 13.1 bone stock ,but he said the car was a total nightmare.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information