Thread: V6 guy.

Junior Member SixShooter'00Camaro's Avatar

2000 Camaro 3800
    1999 Camaro 3800 Y87

V6 guy.

Joined this site last year when I was thinking about doing an LS swap. Long story short after changing my mind a million times, Im currently building the 6 . On to the cars. 2000 MMM Camaro Coupe, T-5. Ive had the car about 6 years and shes my pride and joy, I decided to keep her a 6 after expanding my knowledge on the 3800s, and I like being the underdog. I will have an LS car someday but for now Im having fun with this. A little info on the build, I picked up an L67 donor this summer and was going to do an M90 build but after lots of research decided not to cause of the limitations, not alot of gain with out an intercooler, and more custom fab work then I was willing to do. So I picked up a Powerdyne for 900 bucks in September. The engine is going to be an L67 bottom end with an L36 top end, Powerdyne SC, XP Hot cam, #105 springs, P&P heads, Pacesetter headers and true duals with an H pipe dumped at the axle to finish it off. Right now mods are Auburn Posi with 3:42s, Dynomax Catback, cat delete, shaved stock lid, with PVC pipe in place of the air silencer, 10000K HIDS, 15% tint and TA Twist spoke wheels. I bought another 6 in May as my DD car, shes a 1999 NBM Camaro with the Y87 package, T-tops, power everything and auto. Only mods ATM are 5% tint and smooth lid and the PVC pipe in place of the Air Silencer. Sorry for the long intro lol, I know you guys are mostly V8 guys but also car enthusiasts. Thanks for reading all this!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Welcome and good luck with it..

There's no difference in bottom ends from an l67 to l36..(just sayin')

Only difference in the heads between the 2 are bungs for the injectors and heavier springs on the l67 heads..

Valve size, flow, ports, and castings are identical between the two..

Oh and if it's a real y87 car it already had a 3:42 possi..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-02-2011 at 11:07 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You may want to build your T5 also..

It's not rated for much over stock hp..

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site! Smittro is your go to guy for V6 info around here

Junior Member SixShooter'00Camaro's Avatar

2000 Camaro 3800
    1999 Camaro 3800 Y87

Thanks guys. Smittro, I thought the L67 bottom end was a little stronger then the L36 since it was a factory boosted engine? My DD car the 99 is the Y87 package, but the 2000 is not a Y87, I put the 3:42s in the 2000. I also plan on getting the T-5 built.

Black
    1989 Mustang LX

Welcome SixShooter, sounds like you have a sound plan and looks like you have found a ton of info in very short time. Don't mean to jump your thread,,but Smittro is the t-5 you are talking about used by chevrolet the same as the ford t-5, they have 2 a 4 cylinder and a v-8, the v-8 rated at 300 ft lbs of torque and will it work if you use the correct diameter pilot bearing. Always wanted ask a chevy guy. Again welcome SixShooter lots of good info here, good luck with the build.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! Any pics?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
    Thanks guys. Smittro, I thought the L67 bottom end was a little stronger then the L36 since it was a factory boosted engine? My DD car the 99 is the Y87 package, but the 2000 is not a Y87, I put the 3:42s in the 2000. I also plan on getting the T-5 built.
    Nope, both are nodular iron cranks, with powder forged rods.. The E90 is only ~40 hp gain over the L36, both can hold boost within reason..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Only the 60* v6's come with truely factory forged rods..

Early 3.8L Buick turbo engines came with "pinks" (real forged rods painted pink) but it's a BOP style engine..
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-02-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Welcome to the site, sounds like you got a lot planned.
    Look forward to hearing and seeing more on the build

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Welcome to LS1.com! And as stated Smittro is the man with the V6 answers.

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome

85 Buick GN

None of the early turbo Buick engines had forged rods. All Cast iron. Very strong cast iron........but cast iron none the less!

Only late Series III 3800's had PM rods.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Nope, some of the latter 3.8 BOP's had what were called "pinks" look it up..

Pinks were fully forged 1053 rods, factory..

Google is your friend..;D
    Last edited by Smittro; 12-10-2011 at 05:03 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Infact ALL 3.8 Turbo TTA's had pink 1053 forged rods..iirc

85 Buick GN

Hate to burst your bubble, but the internet is full of mis-information. I worked at Buick when we built all those engines. I was responsible for the Section 6A5 (every Buick Engine) and I still have all the build records. Your source is incorrect. Buick NEVER used a forged rod in any production V6 from 1981 to 1996. PM rods were introduced in the later versions of the 3800 after 1996.

I would not consider a PM rod a true "Forged" part. The PM part is stronger than its cast iron counterpart, but not as strong as a forged steel rod. Either way Plant 36 (The plant the built all Buick Engines) never used any steel forgings to manufacture connecting rods.

The TTA Vin 7 engine was built from a mix of production parts. They used the standard "2 dot" rods and a production crankshaft that was cross-drilled on the mains. They also used FWD 3.8 VIN B heads, valve covers and rocker arms.

Here is a link: Connecting Rod Photo Guide

The L36 in the F body is a great foundation to build a fast car. The 3800 block is VERY strong and the crank and rods should be capable of handling 500 hp in their stock form. Lots of people making big power with the L67 version of these engines. Some are taking the superchargers off and going to turbos. These little V6's are very durable and plentiful.

Dave

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by turbodave231 View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but the internet is full of mis-information. I worked at Buick when we built all those engines. I was responsible for the Section 6A5 (every Buick Engine) and I still have all the build records. Your source is incorrect. Buick NEVER used a forged rod in any production V6 from 1981 to 1996. PM rods were introduced in the later versions of the 3800 after 1996.

I would not consider a PM rod a true "Forged" part. The PM part is stronger than its cast iron counterpart, but not as strong as a forged steel rod. Either way Plant 36 (The plant the built all Buick Engines) never used any steel forgings to manufacture connecting rods.

The TTA Vin 7 engine was built from a mix of production parts. They used the standard "2 dot" rods and a production crankshaft that was cross-drilled on the mains. They also used FWD 3.8 VIN B heads, valve covers and rocker arms.

Here is a link: Connecting Rod Photo Guide

The L36 in the F body is a great foundation to build a fast car. The 3800 block is VERY strong and the crank and rods should be capable of handling 500 hp in their stock form. Lots of people making big power with the L67 version of these engines. Some are taking the superchargers off and going to turbos. These little V6's are very durable and plentiful.

Dave
    Interesting....

You should run a few threads in the v6 section so we may all (v6 guys) benefit from your knowledge..

Could always use an old school guy in that area..

Thread Information