maroon
    1979 Trans Am

Thinking about a 1979 T/A 6.6 with the 403 engine...automati

Looks great; runs solid. My mechanic thinks about 1.5K need to go into it...seems like a decent price at ($6500). Not knowing a whole bunch about this car, any thoughts on this? Is it a decent price? Does it matter much if it was WS6 etc? Is it a big deal that it is automatic (as in bad?). It seems that the numbers all match, and I would say it's in solid, not great shape (handle off of door on inside, most electronics need repair, not original paint job needs to be redone, seats peeling. Any advice welcome!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If it is solid, not rusted, and most of the pieces are intact, then that should be a good buy. We just added a second gen to our collection a few weeks ago and love it.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

The only way to get a 403 was an automatic. It should also have a 2.41 axle if I remember right, which makes it not so bad for cruising on the highway. Are you going to keep it totally stock? If not, the 403 Olds does have quite a bit of potential. The big worry would be rust, especially in areas you dont see, like the inner wheel house, and under that paint if it wasnt prepped right.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would say you have a decent buy at 6500 dollars. These 2nd Gen cars are really going up in price and if you bring it back to stock you should have a good investment while you have some fun with it. I had a chance to buy a 73 SD455 4 speed from my neighbor back in the late 70's and I passed at 2500 dollars, that same vehicle is over 100k now. Fix it, enjoy it and it will pay you back in the future.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Ouch. That would have been a great car to have.

maroon
    1979 Trans Am

Thanks gang. This is really helpful. We did buy it, and will generally keep it stock. Really looking forward to this project.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami007 View Post
    Thanks gang. This is really helpful. We did buy it, and will generally keep it stock. Really looking forward to this project.
    Congrats! If you do have to do some engine refreshing, I was reading where some cleaned up Rocket 350 heads (with a little drilling to accomondate the extra siamesed area cooling passage holds) and a decent cam really wake that engine up. Nothing like a 4.3 inch bore and a really short stroke!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Jeanne, and keep us updated on that project

Silver
    1995 Firehawk

Congratulations. Post some pictures of it.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ Ouch. That would have been a great car to have.
    Well, the way it worked out a guy I knew in Verona, NJ needed some quick cash for a Harley so I took my 3,000 dollars and bought his numbers matching, 22,000 mile, 1968 426 Hemi GTX in dark green with white stripes and a Dane 60 rear. I sold it two years later with a burned #6 piston for 4,500 dollars and I thought I raked the guy over the coals. 10 years later that car was worth close to 100k. Oh well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I just cannot fathom selling any of our cars... ever. The only one that ever got away was my parents' '67 Dodge Coronet convertible. I was just too young for them to hang on to it for my first car and they sold it in the late-70's. I actually cried when the buyer left with the car (yes, I was young and at that point didn't know that I was going to be "a car guy", but that should have been my first sign I guess).

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I just cannot fathom selling any of our cars... ever. The only one that ever got away was my parents' '67 Dodge Coronet convertible. I was just too young for them to hang on to it for my first car and they sold it in the late-70's. I actually cried when the buyer left with the car (yes, I was young and at that point didn't know that I was going to be "a car guy", but that should have been my first sign I guess).
    Back in the late 70's and early 80's these were just used cars, nothing more. A SD T/A, a Hemi GTX, A Boss 302, these were cars that ran on the late night stop light drags on Bloomfield Ave and at E-Town every weekend. We drove them to work, church and to the store. The Reagan 80's made these cars superstars and I wish I could turn back the hands of time. As far as selling them I had no place to store them, I needed the money for another car, I had student loans to pay off and I was engaged so I had to get on with life. Am I sorry I sold them ? Yes. But I got a good career, Two fantastic children, a nice home in a great community and I still dabble with muscle cars so all is well.

Silver
    1995 Firehawk

I agree. My first car was a 71 Buick GS Stage 1 455. By 1979 I couldn't keep it because it drank too much fuel. But it was just an every day old car and not worth much of anything.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ I want!!!

That, and an '87 GNX, are my two white unicorns. Would love to have a Stage 1. Closest I will probably come though is the '70 Buick 455 that is setting in my lower garage collecting dust.

Silver
    1995 Firehawk

'70 Buick 455 that is setting in my lower garage collecting dust.
    You need to do something with that.

I also had a 79 Buick Regal T back in the day. It was a pretty decent performer.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We have an '87 Buick Turbo that we picked up a couple of years ago. Just went up to the building a few minutes ago to get it out for tonight's cruise in. It's the closest I will get to a GNX -- very happy with it and for an '80s car it rips.

Silver
    1995 Firehawk

Tonight's cruise-in? wish I wasn't so tied up and a bit closer. I need a car show.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

We have an '87 Buick Turbo that we picked up a couple of years ago. Just went up to the building a few minutes ago to get it out for tonight's cruise in. It's the closest I will get to a GNX -- very happy with it and for an '80s car it rips.
    Well Jeff, If you ever wanna sell the 87 Buick GN, (Iam sure this will never happen) let me know. This has also been 1 of my all time favs since the early 90's. The 87 was just something that always made me drool.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You are about 6 years younger than I am... ok if I just leave it to you in my Will?

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Gonna need some pictures of this '79! Congrats on the purchase!
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Thread Information