Thread: Sup guys..

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

Sup guys..

Well guys, I put on my "flame suit" just in case. I recently became more interested in the F-body as a 2nd car. The reason I say a second car is because of my plans to build up my Evo in the future, and when it goes down for a rebuild.. I'd like a really nice car to take it's place, I also drive on the I-90 almost everyday going from Chicago out to Glendale Heights for my morning classes at U.T.I. and having a car that would get me nearly 30mpg and over 300 ponies on tap sounds pretty good to me.
    Now that, that is said here comes the sad part and where everyone tells me to search and how much I have to learn and of how a newb I am.. I basically have very little knowledge of the LS1.. besides the simple fact of it being a 5.7L and it was offered I believe from 97-04 in the Camaro Z-28's, SS's, WS6's, GTO, etc.. Now my first question to you guys is basically simple, through the years did the LS1 change very much? As far as cam profiles, HP/TQ.. from package to package.. Like the Z-28 vs. SS.. Because just in the couple days of searching I've found a couple nice looking 6-spd LS1 Maro's for less than 10k and with under 65k on the odometer. Which I think is basically a steal for the car, whether it being a Z-28, or SS.
    Do you think you guys could give me some friendly in-put and point me in the right direction.. because the last thing I want to do is start up the old domestic vs. import crap.. because I like just about all cars, maybe except for a few honda's.. but still, if it's quick.. or made to be quick it's respectable in my book no matter the make or model.
    Sorry to end it short, but I gotta head home from work.
    Take care guys,
    Nate

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Welcome!

Not much has changed in the Camaros/TransAms from 98-02

the 00-02 LS1's have the LS6 Intake manifold but a smaller cam
    the 98-99 have a bigger cam but the intake manifold isnt as good

There is not much difference at all in power if any, the 00-02 were available with steering wheel controls, mirrors were painted to match car there a few details ive missed and someone will chime in.

If i were you i would look at 99-02 just cause the 98 were the first year with the LS1 in the Camaro and T/A and i always try to steer away from first year automobiles

Good luck!
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Boosting Daily

Tarmac Black
    05 Evo VIII

Thanks for the in-put. Those things right there are just the simple things I need to know, when choosing between the years. Also didn't the LS1 initially come out in 97' with the Vette, and then was brought to the F-bodies in 98? If thats the case the technically the 98' maro's, and trans-am's would've/should've been fixed with any minor issues.
    Another question for you guys will be probably pretty simple for you to answer. I'm looking between the Z-28 & SS, just for the simple fact that they are cheaper at this point in time vs. the fire chickens. Now with that said, since both have the LS1 motor and I believe the T56 6spd tranny.. what are the differences between the Z & the SS through out there production years.. was it just simple interior exessories, with a little suspension work.. or did they add a little the motor?
    Because I could do with-out the added feature comforts, if thats all they were in the SS.. Get a '98 or '99 Z-28, swap the intake mani's from the '00+ models and maybe a Vette MAS if acclicable (sp?).. Then throw on some SLP mods. or what not and be done with it.. and probably a tune as well, since I've heard that the LS1's run pig rich with the factory ECU tuning??

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

the difference between the z28 and ss is basically appearance and price. i have a ws6 which is the same deal. just a high priced T/A but i had to have that hood and i dont like being a poser so i bought the real thing. the rating is 305hp for the z28and T/A and 320 for the ss and ws6

Thread Information