Black
    '97 M3

PNW e36 LS1 swap project

I've got an e36 M3 I'm looking to perform a vorshlag LSX swap to. I know it may not be pure, but I've always wanted a N/A V8, and this looks to be an interesting project. I'm still doing a bit of research, I'd like it to be usable for a daily, although I'm a bit concerned about all that torque in the wet months on a regular basis. I may do the straightforward swap to start with, then look at upgrading the heads, intake and cam down the road a bit. Also, if you have any pointers on ECU tuning, I'll be creeping around some threads here trying to tease all that out over the next few months.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Welcome to the site Jason. I've never seen an LSx BMW before. Post some pics when you can.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome!

Like any engine with a bit of power, the LS1 deserves respect on marginal road conditions. More than one member on here has suffered from loss of traction on wet roads. Nice thing about the LS1 is that the power comes on smooth so it is driveable so long as common sense is exercised.

Strongly recommend you start with a bit of research. Go to Amazon.com and check out a couple of the "LS1 Swap Guides". You'll either need to source a factory PCM and harness with your engine, or go with an aftermarket standalone controller. Fuel system upgrades are usually required as well. Not sure what an M3 runs for fuel pressure, but the LS1 will want to see 58 psi with a stock induction system.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site! Sounds pretty interesting. I hope you'll keep us updated when starting this project

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Tons of people DD their LS1 cars successfully. It'll just take some time to adjust to the torque in crappy road conditions.

Welcome to LS1.com!!!

Thread Information