yellow
    1954 GMC pickup w/LH6 DOD

Old GMC truck guy with 2005 5.3 DOD engine

Hello everyone.

I'm out in California and have a stable of 1954-55 1st Series GMC trucks. My personal ride is a 1995 1st series GMC Suburban that will be getting either an SSR LS2 or an L33 aluminum 5.3 liter. This one will be easy except for being second in line to my wife's truck!!

Her truck is a 1954 GMC 1/2 ton truck that we've put over 80,000 miles on it in 10 years. The truck was a guy's shop truck when we traded it for my 48 Chevy Ambulance. Somehow the truck became my wife's?? It already had a 350/350 combo in it with 2.73 rear gears and a Mustang II front suspension. Later we installed a new 350, then a 700R4, then a TBI, another 700R4, another 700R4 and finally the fuel tank sprung a leak.

Last year I put her truck down for a complete rebuild. I had already been working on a new design for a complete S10 frame swap. I finished the design and I now run a small business selling these swap kits. You can check it out at AD-Engineering.com

Anyway, her truck now sits on an S10 frame. I began working at a GM dealership so I became interested in the new 5.3 and LSx engines. When Displacement on Demand (DOD) showed up I was quite interested considering the mileage we put on our truck. I acquired a 2005 DoD engine from Schram Auto in Michigan. This is a KILLER place to find complete powertrain swaps. They shipped me the engine and I was JAZZED!!

DoD has become quite the pain in my A**. The engine uses a new E40 computer and Passkey 3+ which is an enhanced version of the Passkey 3 system that uses a Hall Effect sensor and has about three trillion (YES, TRILLION!!) codes and you have to have the correct one. Not the old simple change the resistor design. If the theft deterrent module in the ignition switch senses the wrong key the BCM will transmit the wrong password to the ECM which will set a Fail code that will shut down the injectors. Whallah, you have a no start situation! This is where I am now. Hopefully I will be able throught this forum to get some help and get the wife's truck on the road with her DoD engine. Then i can finally get on with MY Burb! When I get the DoD engine hacked I will post the info in case someone else wants to do this swap. Just stay away from the 2005 engines because it seems as though they are a one year only system for the DoD.

Red
    1999 Z-28 convertible

Thumbs up

Welcome and Enjoy!

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

Welcome and good luck
    04/A4 Quicksilver
    Magnflow catback-Resonator delete
    K&N drop in
    SAP front Grills and 05 hood
    Limo tinted windows-Gets me pulled over alot