Thread: Okie Here!

Okie Here!

Hello everyone, I'm Jason and I own a 1981 Chevy swb. Currently it has tbi 350, headers, and has been lowered. But my ultimate dream motor is of course a ls1. But I'd like to run it carbureted, with a massive cam and be all motor no bottle. Firm believer that bottles are for babies. Lol, figured I'd join and get some help from current owners of ls1s on the right way to build a carbureted ls1 with as much hp as possible. And also maybe pick up a few new friends along the way.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

LS1 swaps are getting easier to do with all the aftermarket support. One of your biggest hurdles -- modification of the fuel system -- will be overridden by the fact that you are electing to go with a carb rather than fuel injection. You'll still need electronic controls for the spark and such and also for the transmission if you install a 4L60E or 4L80E behind the LS1. If you can, grab as much as you can from the donor car, including the engine wire harness and PCM, just in case you do elect to stick with fuel injection. The '98s are kind of a one year only deal and I would stick with a later style engine -- or go woth a crate engine. The other hurdle will be operating your factory gauges, unless you swap in a digital dash or simply run aftermarket gauges. I strongly recommend a visit to Amazon.com to search for an LS1 swap book. There are a couple out there and they have great information.

Once you get things going, throw up a build thread with pics so we can all go along for the ride!

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Welcome to the site! Okie here as well, live in Henryetta area, work in Tulsa. Definitely document your build with lots of pics when you get started, we love that stuff (obviously )

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Jason! Good to have you aboard. Please do keep us updated on your progress

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome to the site!

LS1 swaps are getting easier to do with all the aftermarket support. One of your biggest hurdles -- modification of the fuel system -- will be overridden by the fact that you are electing to go with a carb rather than fuel injection. You'll still need electronic controls for the spark and such and also for the transmission if you install a 4L60E or 4L80E behind the LS1. If you can, grab as much as you can from the donor car, including the engine wire harness and PCM, just in case you do elect to stick with fuel injection. The '98s are kind of a one year only deal and I would stick with a later style engine -- or go woth a crate engine. The other hurdle will be operating your factory gauges, unless you swap in a digital dash or simply run aftermarket gauges. I strongly recommend a visit to Amazon.com to search for an LS1 swap book. There are a couple out there and they have great information.

Once you get things going, throw up a build thread with pics so we can all go along for the ride!
    almost sounds like it would be easier to just go with fuel injection and just increase injectors and fuel pressure accordingly? Only reason I ask is because it'll still be driven on the street.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

A carb setup will work just fine on an LS engine. Completely up to you.

Alright, just heard that carbing an ls is for higher hp builds.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

An engine is an engine, therefore either will work just fine. Fuel injection has better adaptability to air changes due to its array of sensors and computer control over fueling and such. The problem most people have is that they "over carb" an engine or toss on a tunnel ram and expect it to behave like a stock induction setup.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Welcome to the site Jason. Don't go too big on your cam or you will have trouble getting it to run right. Big cam means big cfm heads, big cfm intake, big headers, high compression and mucho spark advance. Expensive and fuel thirsty.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information