Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    in search of.

New Member, looking for buying advice.

Hey folks,

I have owned a Trans Am in the past, a 2001 WS6. I regret letting it go and have been looking to get into another. I have found a few mostly around $10-12k. These are automatic trans am, t-top cars. Not the WS6 versions. 1998-2002 are the years Im looking at.

Anything I should look for in particular. When I look at the cars what should I look for in the automatic trans fluid?

If I remember correctly the major maintenance items kick in at 100k miles right? Most of the cars I look at have anywhere from 45k-75k miles on them. Sucks being in northern va. Everything is overpriced here. Pleople want $20-30k for there WS6 low mile cars.

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by electricmarquis View Post
    Hey folks,

I have owned a Trans Am in the past, a 2001 WS6. I regret letting it go and have been looking to get into another. I have found a few mostly around $10-12k. These are automatic trans am, t-top cars. Not the WS6 versions. 1998-2002 are the years Im looking at.

Anything I should look for in particular. When I look at the cars what should I look for in the automatic trans fluid?

If I remember correctly the major maintenance items kick in at 100k miles right? Most of the cars I look at have anywhere from 45k-75k miles on them. Sucks being in northern va. Everything is overpriced here. Pleople want $20-30k for there WS6 low mile cars.
    Welcome welcome! Yeah it took me a long time to find a WS6 with low miles on it. All I kept seeing were ones with 75+k miles. I looked and looked and finally found a 2001 with 13,888 miles on it if you can believe that. And at CarMax of all places. It was $19k, which might be a tad high but well worth it being low mileage.

Red
    in search of.

Yea, I have a few saved searches for carmax f-bodies. The good thing about carmax is you can buy 100k mile warranties. I found a 2001 Camaro SS with 19k miles on it there. It was gone in like 12 hours. LOL. I think it was $14k.

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by electricmarquis View Post
    Yea, I have a few saved searches for carmax f-bodies. The good thing about carmax is you can buy 100k mile warranties. I found a 2001 Camaro SS with 19k miles on it there. It was gone in like 12 hours. LOL. I think it was $14k.
    I still have it saved too...I saw that one...red??

I had mine shipped from Cali here to Memphis before a pic was ever posted on their website. It was black, 6 speed, 13k miles which was good enough for me to blindly have it shipped! haha.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! Check this thread out: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118628

Red
    in search of.

Quote Originally Posted by staleycornell View Post
    I still have it saved too...I saw that one...red??

I had mine shipped from Cali here to Memphis before a pic was ever posted on their website. It was black, 6 speed, 13k miles which was good enough for me to blindly have it shipped! haha.
    Yea, it was the red one last week. I call them to have it shipped to NOVA area for free but someone else called like 10 mins before me.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome aboard. Good luck in your search.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

+1 on Carmax. I waited for about a year before a good one showed up, and had it shipped to me from Kansas City. Low miles, good condition, average dealership prices. I had to go through a major dealership for my loans, no private sell allowed, which sucked but oh well, we of marginal credit do as we must...

Auto Transmission Fluid should be a fairly bright reddish color. The darker it is, the older or more used it is. It'll turn dark brown, almost black, I believe when it's bad.

Red
    in search of.

Looked at another today. Guy wanted 11,500 for a 1998 trans am, automatic. His wife said it was like new. It was not like new. Stained leather passenger seat, t-top seal in the colounm was bent up. Various window seals and platics were warped, engine bay was a complete grease pit, rear bumber body lines did not match up.

I was not impressed. It looked more like a 8k dollar trans am. Dang.

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

They are definitely getting harder to find. I usually check Craigslist for them but its usually junk or early to mid 90's models. Rarely have I seen an 01 or 02 on there.

Red
    in search of.

I seem to find lots with 100k + miles on them. If everything body, cosmetic wise etc is great is there anything I should be concered about with a 105000 ws6 automatic?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Welcome to LS1.com!

Ralley Red/Black Top
    2000 Camaro SS, 2006 GTO

Welcome to the fold

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Welcome aboard, and good luck on your search.

All the fluids in the vehicle should be changed every 50-60k miles. Key word is "should". It all depends on driving habits and climate. Here in MI, we try not to let a vehicle pass by with that mileage, without recommending all the fluid services.

Red
    in search of.

I found a 2002 White WS6, automatic with 46k miles. Gonna check it out on Sunday. Dude said its in super excellent condition with only damage being a few spots of wheel rash from a curb. He said he has not changed the trans fluid yet but was planning on doing it at 50k.

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

What is he asking for it? Sounds like a good find.

Red
    in search of.

Kinda pricy, $15k. Im gonna offer him $14k. The problem with living in D.C. Metro area is everyone has money and they will pay more than the average joe for just about anything. I found a few others with alot less miles. 24k and 27k miles. They are $16k and $17k for those.

The majority of the birds I find are M6's. Where there alot more manuals made than automatics in the WS6 package?

Also the carfax came back as a

Pontiac Firebird
    Formula/Trans Am

Black, White
    2001 WS6, 2000 SS Camaro

Thats weird bc the majority of the ones I see here around Memphis are automatics. I'm not sure which they made more of but I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer...

Red
    in search of.

Well the white WS6 mentioned above was no good. Over all Id say it was worth about 9k not 15k. Needed the following:

Headlight motors x2
    antenna motor
    weather seals left and right door(including the ttop area)
    tires
    brake pads all around
    suspension bushings replaced
    lower ground effects driver side reworked(falling away from body)

I scored a early notification of a 2001 Camaro SS with 19k miles at carmax. Im thinking its the one I saw about 2 weeks ago. Its on its way from Rockville to Dulles near my house. If its very nice I will bite on it. I cannot imagine carmax having a POS. Well see. If not Ill keep waiting for a WS6.

BLUE
    1998 Trans Am

I just got mine a month ago (first one) and its a 98 auto with 114000 on it and i gave 1500 for it...the only think wrong w it is it has a salvage title (it drive great and straight) and the paint is a lil faded which im fixing to get a paint job on it... other than that really its a great car...and very fast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information