Thread: New Member

Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

I have had my Z28 (2002 35th Aniversity edition LS1) as a daily driver for, well since it was new in 2002, garaged evry single night. Its been F*Ckin great - no shit, I love it as is.
    it has 207,000 miles and still looks nearly perfect and runs very strong.
    Its time to modify into dream car.
    Any ideas welcome - any "stay away from advice" welcome.
    Pictures to follow on a subsequent post.
    right now I am changing the rear shocks.
    Last edited by sunsetLS1Z28; 12-15-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: sorry not to ask questions here - forgot

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site Check out our tech and general help sections. I moved your last post to the General Help section for you. You'll get more answers about your issue in there.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Welcome to the site.

WOW! 207,xxx! You've got more miles on your car than my 98 (182,xxx). And I know what you mean as it still lays down a patch (25' and I got out of it due a stop sign when it hit 182,xxx miles - just had to see if it was still "up to the challenge") and will still get rubber in 2nd (maybe 3rd but I've not really tried).
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! Good to hear that your car is still running strong.

Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

To 67CamaroRSSS.
    67 454 12 bolt - wow

hey someone needs to educate me on all these acronyms.
    2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's
    your 2002 looks like its where I want to go except for the tall rear gear. What is !Air ! cats mean?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetLS1Z28 View Post
    To 67CamaroRSSS.
    67 454 12 bolt - wow

hey someone needs to educate me on all these acronyms.
    2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's
    your 2002 looks like its where I want to go except for the tall rear gear. What is !Air ! cats mean?
    An exclamation point (!) in front of a part indicates that that part was deleted (!cats = deleted cats. It's internet shorthand like IMHO or LOL). QTP = Quick Time Performance (a manufacturer). SS = Satinless Steel. LT - Long Tubes or basic headers as opposed to shorties or mid-length. SFC = Sub Frame Connectors. A must has for any F body. T/A = Torque Arm. TD = True duals. RWHP = rear wheel hp, RWT = rear wheel torque. DA = density altitude, a measure at the track of the relative densithy of the air relative to sea level. MT ET Street DR = Mickey Thompson ET (elapsed time) Street Drag Radials which is a very sticky DOT (Dept of Transportation) approved radial tire.

And the 67 had a 12.5:1 427 in it before I replaced it with the 9.5:1 454. Best ET with the 427 was a 11.2x at 120+ at OCIR (Orange County International Raceway - a now defunct racetrack in SoCal - while I now live in PHX I'm a SoCal native) which got me kicked off the track as I was teched for a best of 11.5.

FWIW, the 427 got 3mpg while the 454 gets a whopping 200% better (6mpg)... The interesting things on that car is the Emerald Turquoise exterior with the White deluxe interior. Having power windows, tilt steering, and power disc brakes as factory options doesn't hurt ether...
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 12-15-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

Total education - thanks.
    Mine is total stock but I want to start with suspention and brakes before I go gonzo on the engine. The stock LS1 hasn't even had the plugs changed but pulls ruber on dry road in 1 and 2 squacks 3 OD pulls to 145 easily before I chicken out.
    Been running Castrol syntech full syn and went to Castrol Edge when it came out.
    I add some linkite every 3 or 4 oil changes.
    Had Mr Goodwrench check the engine on the computor he swares there is no need for anything according to his machine. I cannot believe it. I come from the "every 12K mile, needs a tune up years. He suggest I pull the plugs from the head just to avaid a frozen plug, thats it. Blows my mind.
    Whats the rules around eliminating smog? !Air ~!cats as you say
    doesn't that screw up O2 tracking? Economy, Idle cold/hot, whats the deal and what does that gain us?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetLS1Z28 View Post
    Total education - thanks.
    Mine is total stock but I want to start with suspention and brakes before I go gonzo on the engine. The stock LS1 hasn't even had the plugs changed but pulls ruber on dry road in 1 and 2 squacks 3 OD pulls to 145 easily before I chicken out.
    Been running Castrol syntech full syn and went to Castrol Edge when it came out.
    I add some linkite every 3 or 4 oil changes.
    Had Mr Goodwrench check the engine on the computor he swares there is no need for anything according to his machine. I cannot believe it. I come from the "every 12K mile, needs a tune up years. He suggest I pull the plugs from the head just to avaid a frozen plug, thats it. Blows my mind.
    Whats the rules around eliminating smog? !Air ~!cats as you say
    doesn't that screw up O2 tracking? Economy, Idle cold/hot, whats the deal and what does that gain us?
    Deletion of any pollution control device is anginst the law!

Ok. With the boiler plate out of the way, while deleting any pollution control (PC for a car lol) is verboten (Sprechen ze Deutch?) deleting parts can be covered if you area does nothing more than a "plug in" to check for codes by deleting those parts/codes in the PCM (Powertrain Control Module or computer). Such is the case with the area I live in. Other areas (think Cali) do a much more involved inspection, to include physically looking (with a check list) for such devices as you may end up deleting.

When long tube headears are installed and catalytic converters are deleted the rear O2 sensors would be deleted as the function of the rear O2's is to check for cat efficiency. No cats = no need to check. The front O2 sensors, OTOH, are required as the PCM uses them to determine the proper A/F ratio for the engine operating conditions (read: fuel injector duty cycle based on engine speed and throttle position).

There is much more to this but it's late...

Maybe I'll add more tomorrow. Suspension upgrades in particular will be required to have your car perform better.

Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

Understood.
    I live in Illinois, they just plug in and let you go if no check engine light (no faults).
    As a matter of fact, I think they just look for the check engine light.
    But I haven't been asked to go to the check place in a long while.
    Deutch was my first language as a child, but it has been a long while since I've had to sprech Deutch. First gen American, Dad imigrated in 1955 to Cleveland from Hamburg.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Welcome to LS1.com. I think she's got at least another 200k in her!!!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Welcome to LS1.com!!

Thread Information