Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

New guy

Hey guys, well the day has come when I am ready for more out of the box power. I have always been a Nissan enthusiast. Still am but can't justify dropping thousands upon thousands of dollars to just get decent numbers. I have a 72' s30 Datsun 240z with a rb20det and a 77' s30 280z and am looking at going with a ls1 and t56 setup in there and maybe some day a supercharger on it. I will admit when it comes to the ls1 I am a complete noob and am here to first find a ls1 engine and t56 trans. So if anyone has one let me now. And secondly to learn and improve the engine to the best that I can. Thanks guys and I will be posting pictures when I can of my rides. Please don't bash too hard on me...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! LS1 power is pretty amazing and propels our 3,500+ lb cars quite well. Can't imagine what one would do in a chassis as light as yours. There are a couple of good swap books you can order up on Amazon that cover the basics. Shoot for an '01 or '02 and it'll be devoid of an EGR and will also have the LS6 intake on it. Make sure you grab the harness and PCM as well.

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome! LS1 power is pretty amazing and propels our 3,500+ lb cars quite well. Can't imagine what one would do in a chassis as light as yours. There are a couple of good swap books you can order up on Amazon that cover the basics. Shoot for an '01 or '02 and it'll be devoid of an EGR and will also have the LS6 intake on it. Make sure you grab the harness and PCM as well.
    Yup, my s30 280z is completely gutted, no ac, no heat, interior, etc and they came stock at 2500lbs so I can only imagine. This won't be my first swap so I don't think I will have a hard time with the swap. The only problem now is finding a engine...I would prefer a whole setup but with a spun bearing and tear it down and rebuild it back up. This is a track/race car that I might drive every now and then as I have another daily anyways. I just hope my diff can hold up..lol.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Can't be any worse than the POS 10 bolt rears our F-bodies came with.

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Can't be any worse than the POS 10 bolt rears our F-bodies came with.
    They really are. They pop at anything over 300hp on a regular basis. I personally wouldn't run the stock diff with the ls1. That is why I did custom frame rails and bolted an entire R33 GTS skyline rear subframe on. So that diff should hold up for now, at least until I decide to do a supercharger on the engine.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, John. I've always liked those cars. A boy friend of mine, way back when had a 240z, I believe it was a 74, could be wrong about the year, but he used to let me drive it often and it was a fun car to drive. I liked the looks as well as the feel of it. I can only imagine how much more fun it would have been to drive powered by an LS1

Good luck finding everything you need and keep us updated on your progress. I'm looking forward to some pictures

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome good luck, that will be a hell of a ride!

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

Well here are some quick pics of the caged 280z...I have sourced a 2000 ls1 out of a Camaro ss locally on ls1tech, now just need to find wiring harness, ecu and a t56...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It's gonna be quite the project. Have fun with it

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Good luck on finding an engine and welcome to the site.

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Good luck on finding an engine and welcome to the site.
    It is proving more difficult then I thought...What is the best engine to source? 5.7 or 6.0? What year, etc? This is my first ever non Nissan engine so I am a little confused with all of the options and models, etc..

Ray Charles blue

Hrm.....my buddy just told me last night of a 97 Corvette LS1 he found for 2k. I thought that was a lot of money but its got 5-6k miles is all on it. It is here in PA. Only issue is it doesnt have an intake or the PCM. I can look if you like OP.

Oh and welcome.

If you dont want to go fast and replace a rear end you could get a 4.6 Mustang engine. lol

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Hrm.....my buddy just told me last night of a 97 Corvette LS1 he found for 2k. I thought that was a lot of money but its got 5-6k miles is all on it. It is here in PA. Only issue is it doesnt have an intake or the PCM. I can look if you like OP.

Oh and welcome.

If you dont want to go fast and replace a rear end you could get a 4.6 Mustang engine. lol
    That would be awesome!! Well this s30 280z (the one in the pics) has the R33 skyline GTS rear end and I have seen 500+Hp go through those diff's so I think I will be fine for now. I was referring to the stock diff that is in my RB20det powered s30 240z.

Ray Charles blue

I know man, the stock diffs are not known for holding in those. A friend of mine road raced one and currently has another one that he runs at Watkins Glenn once in a while.

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

I know man, the stock diffs are not known for holding in those. A friend of mine road raced one and currently has another one that he runs at Watkins Glenn once in a while.
    Well lucky me I thought ahead and put that subframe in. The kits to convert the stock diff to a R200 long nose totals up to about 1k...Crazy. I tried PM'ing but it wouldn't let me. I did; however, send an email to you. If you could get more info and contact info on that vette that would be great and I wouldn't mind sending you a finders fee. lol.

Ray Charles blue

No worries man. I already sent my buddy a text and I am just waiting to hear back from him. Finders fee isnt necessary.

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

No worries man. I already sent my buddy a text and I am just waiting to hear back from him. Finders fee isnt necessary.
    Sweet I really do appreciate it. This would help my build out a lot. Because currently sourcing all of the random needed parts is killing me. So a whole car would be great and I could part the rest of the car out to make some money back and buy some upgrade parts

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

And what would be a good supercharger kit to look to add later on? And what parts would be good to upgrade/replace on the engine to ensure reliability? Thanks in advance guys! This forum is awesome and you guys are great!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RB240zDET View Post
    And what would be a good supercharger kit to look to add later on? And what parts would be good to upgrade/replace on the engine to ensure reliability? Thanks in advance guys! This forum is awesome and you guys are great!
    I went with a Procharger on a stock LS1 other than new hardened push rods and valve springs. My numbers are in my signature. If you plan on running more than 8psi, it's safest to upgrade the pistons and connecting rods. Otherwise, the block and the rest of the parts are pretty stout.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Flat black
    1972 Datsun s30 240z

Here are some more pictures of the work that has been put into this build. Also some pictures of my BBK for the 280z, they are the wilwood super lites and man are they light. Needless to say if you look at all of the cage work and the tubing this chassis is going to be pretty stiff. Still debating if I want to extend the cage forward and do some NASCAR style door protection because I will be stripping the door down to just the shell and no window or locks, etc and the glass will be replaced with lexan that I will latch on and can be removed on hot days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information