Thread: New to Gen III

red
    2003 Corvette

New to Gen III

HI

I just purchased/converted a 2003 Corvette Convertible. I also have a 1975 Corvette and I am very knowledgable about GEN 1 small block chevy engines, but I am totally ignorant when it comes to my new ride with the bone stock LS1 Gen 111 engine and all the electronics. I need to get up on the learning curve (no real rush) and this forum will be a big help. If anyone could suggest books and CD's to educate myself on how this engine works and how to do basic maintanance and tuning on this engine that would be a big help.

As for my 2003 Corvette, the conversion I have done to the car is totally cosmetic. I had the body removed and replaced the body with a carbon fiber 1961 Corvette look alike body. Pictures of before and after follow.

---------- BEFORE ---------- BEFORE --------- BEFORE -------------

-------- AFTER ---------- AFTER ------------- AFTER ------------------

LOVE THAT RETRO LOOK !!!!!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

sweet ride and welcome to the site

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

what are the goles you have for the car? you can find almost anything you want on this site

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

welcome to the site! Sweet! I like that new body you got on there!

None

Nice conversion!!!

Welcome to the site.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

welcome!!!!! sweet ride

red
    2003 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    what are the goles you have for the car? you can find almost anything you want on this site
    My first goal is to better understand how EFI works and how the engine with all the computers and sensors work. I'd like to maximize the performance and HP out of my bone stock engine ---- I have no interest in changing cams, heads, etc.

From my many years of experience with the GEN1 Chevy stock 350 engine, there were lots of tuning enchancments you could make to timing, centrifugal advance, vacuum advance, engine temperature, etc which would allow you to squeeze anoter 25 HP out of a bone stock engine. In the past I have changed cams, heads, intake manifolds, etc on my GEN1 1975 corvette ---- but I have no interest in going down that path with this car. I'm looking for simple understanding of how the engine, EFI, computers and sensors all work together and if there are any simple mods I can make to improve performance. I've already ordered a few books to get up on the learning curve --- but reading what other forum members are doing and following along as they solve problems will be a big help to me. My car only has 4,800 miles on her and I don't beat the bejesus out of her (I'm older now) so I hoping it will be quite awhile before I have any real problems that need to be solve.

Those are my goals

Thanks

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

a good place to start is do a search for free mods you should like that one. and you got the rest just read your way around till you see some thing you like and most are willing to help any way we can

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

^^^Yeah then after that.... it happens you get bit and you never can bring yourself to stop

That is some impressive work.

Thread Information