White
    1999 Camaro Z28

New to all of this

First time ever really being on a forum, but I figured why not. Im wondering how difficult its going to be to change out a gasket on the oil pan. Mine has a minor leak and i want to fix it before it gets worse but I also don't want to spend $500 at a shop. I hope I can do the job myself. Any input would be great just as long as it constructive.

Bright Red
    1998 Firebird Formula LS1

If you have basic mechanical skills, you should be able to do it.....Sounds like a real PITA though....

Lift the front end of the Camaro with a jack and support it securely on a jack stand. Block the rear wheels to keep them from rolling. Disconnect the negative battery cable before proceeding.

Crawl under the vehicle and locate the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan. Put a bucket under the drain plug, and remove the plug with a socket wrench. Let the oil drain into the bucket, and then replace the drain plug.

Drain the Camaro's cooling system and remove the wiring harness clips from the oil pan. Disconnect the oil level sensor connector, then remove the sensor. Disconnect the crossover pipes on the exhaust manifold and take off the bolts or screws holding the exhaust pipe hanger.

Remove the starter motor. If your Camaro has an automatic transmission, remove the bolts or screws holding the converter cover, and then remove the cover. Remove the bolts or screws holding the engine mount-through.

Raise the engine with an engine jack. The engine must be high enough to remove the oil pan. Remove the bolts or screws holding the oil pan. You may need to rotate the crankshaft.

Scrape off the old gasket, and wipe the surface well with solvent. Wipe out the inside of the oil pan. Apply a small amount of sealer to the engine block junction, front cover and oil seal housing, and spread it an inch in each direction from each spot.

Replace the oil pan gasket and tighten the bolts according to specifications. Lower the engine carefully, and reattach the engine components in the reverse order that they were removed. Remove the car from the jack stand , fill the crankcase with approximately 4 quarts of oil, and check the level with a dipstick.
    Last edited by chris1974; 03-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thanks for the info, I was really hoping that I wasn't going to have to jack the engine up. But that seems to be the general answer from everyone I talk to. Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Justin. Let us know how it goes

Bright Red

You could always chain the engine to the roof and lower the car....

Just kidding. Yeah..let us know how it goes...or if you need some help (or encouragement!).

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Give us an update when you get the job done. It should not be that bad. Welcome to the site.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Will certainly keep everyone informed as to the progress of this job....have to admit though this will be the biggest undertaking for vehicle repairs for me. I know that sounds sad but when u are deployed for every other year its kinda to get the tools and stuff u need to work on vehicles. But i plan on changing that, tired of wasting money at shops when i can do the job myself......which me luck!

Pewter
    '00 SS

Take pictures along the way if you can for those of us who may be in your shoes at some point.

Good Luck!!!
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Don't forget to fill it back up with oil when you're done

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Oh, and welcome to the site

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

I will make sure and keep that in mind when im done, before i take her for a spin

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Some of us are smartasses here, but in all seriousness, being a member here for 3.5 years now I've seen some real doosies before haha.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

I wouldn't doubt it one bit, i take solace in that fact that are less adept people out there than me when it comes to cars, but at least im trying....nothing wrong with being a smartass, helps keep the mood lively!

Bright Red

As far as working on stuff goes....everyone has to start somewhere, bud. So don't sweat it. You're in good company now! lol

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Great...I hope everyone will available on Saturday cause there might be quite a few posts from me when i start this.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mastertairium View Post
    Great...I hope everyone will available on Saturday cause there might be quite a few posts from me when i start this.
    Negative for me. It's Saint Patrick's Day and I plan on enjoying the dying of the Chicago River, parade, and other fun festivities that day!

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Can't say I blame u on that one! I will enjoy Pat's day later that evening...especially since the wife is irish

White
    1999 Camaro Z28

Can anyone tell me what size the bolts are for the oil pan, I want to make sure and have to right impact sockets for this job

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome aboard

Thread Information