Thread: My first LS1

Ugly
    1998 Camaro SS

My first LS1

Hi all. From Philly. Just got my first LS1. It's a 1998 Camaro SS 6 speed. It's a little rough with random odds and ends but for 4k I couldn't pass it up.

I am coming from a 2006 S197 Mustang GT. The only Mustang body style I liked. Sold it to get rid of the payment and was saving for some sort of LS1, preferably a C5 but bought this car now and couldn't be happier.

It has a few loose ends I will need to research on here. Such as a SUPER whining rear end, missing roof liner and visors, and the paint was done over a blue and the new color, some sort of burgundy is hideous. Lol. Additionally, the body has some imperfections but all in due time.

Immediately did ALL the fluids. Oil, coolant, power steering and transmission. Didn't do gears since I'm redoing them completely. Replaced all the dash bulbs. Ripped out a horribly wired nitrous switch. Cleaned up the headlights a bit. Return tended an exhaust bolt that was rattling me to death!! Currently has a ticking that in sure is from the driver side line on header as neither one has gaskets. Which are metal correct? They're just plastered with gasket adhesive/sealant goop.

I did the spark plugs and wires. The plugs were all surprisingly easy after reading all the stories about the last plug. I reached in, fat hand and all, and just turned relatively easy. Small, very short turns and patience because it did take a little while but other than a sore wrist, all gravy.

It came with a good amount of rear suspension mods, shocks and some bolt ons. Such as Pacesetter LT headers, off road Y pipe and SLP loudmouths. Some lid and a K and N filter. Some unknown shirt shifter and has an LS6 Intake manifold.

The headers are rusty and I think one is bent and/or leaking. So they're on the list for swaps to maybe some kooks.

Looking forward to reading this forum.
    2006 Mustang GT Manual- Sold
    1998 Camaro SS Manual - Current
    PS Headers - O/R Y Pipe - SLP Loudmouths - LID W/K&N - Short shifter - LS6 Manifold - 4.10 - BBK TB
    ADJ LCA - Reloc. Brackets - KYB Shocks - Panhard bar

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Emanuel and congrats! Sounds like pretty deal for the price. Post up some pictures when you get a chance

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Welcome to the site. Good luck on restoring.

Ugly
    1998 Camaro SS

Thanks all. Never had a car that needed any "work" so there is a weird feeling of satisfaction with every new part restored

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It always means more when you put in the elbow grease yourself.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Welcome to the site, sounds like you're on the right track to getting her tip top. Headers make a huge difference when it comes to plug swaps so thats probably why you didn't have much trouble. Definitely post up some pics when you get a chance

1967 Chevy Chevelle
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

Welcome from Colorado and looking forward to seeing some pics of your new ride.
    There are some things you just can't test in a white lab coat.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

As another "local" you should come join us next year at GM Carlisle in June! There will be info posted on the site and we always have fun.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Welcome to the site.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information