Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1993 Nissan 240sx

LS1 240sx here!!!

Hey guys! Texas boy here. Im current rebuilding a 98 ta motor to stick in my 93 240sx drift car. Not new to building cars but I am pretty green with lsx's. Looking forward to bugging the shit out of you guys with a million questions!

Heres my ride

Action shot(front car)

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Welcome to the site!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Welcome to the site

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

welcome

howdy

Black
    1993 Nissan 240sx

howdy! lol

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

welcome, keep your head down and you'll be alright and learn A LOT

Black
    2003 KB Mustang

Howdy, Im a noob also....you will be loosing those tail pipes when you drop the real motor in there right?...lol..jk

Nice to see you do the LS1 into 240SX project. I've done it, and let me tell you it's worth the money and patience. Take a look at my sig.

Let me know if you have any questions about the swap.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Nice man.
    Fellow S13 driver here as well. But gots the SR20Det and Silvia front clip.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Nice man.
    Fellow S13 driver here as well. But gots the SR20Det and Silvia front clip.
    Yeah my other 240SX has an SR20 in it.... with stuff.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Welcome.

Get rid of that snorkel on the back of the car......

Howdy cool project you got there

Black
    1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote Originally Posted by WTF D00D View Post
    Howdy, Im a noob also....you will be loosing those tail pipes when you drop the real motor in there right?...lol..jk
    Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    Welcome.

Get rid of that snorkel on the back of the car......
    lol, yea, that isnt on the car anymore. We were welding on somthing and I noticed some extra exhaust pipe I had. It was pretty obnoxious and loud but Ill probably be running something as quite as possible with the lsx. My car already attracts enough attention as it is. I'd like to keep it streetable after the swap is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    Nice to see you do the LS1 into 240SX project. I've done it, and let me tell you it's worth the money and patience. Take a look at my sig.

Let me know if you have any questions about the swap.
    Did you fab your own parts or order a swap kit? I started off fabricating it myself but time was a factor. Too much other stuff going on so I went ahead and ordered the swap kit from daft innovations. Should be here any day now and I can get started. Ill make a build thread and post some pics when I get things rollin.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

welcome. former drifter myself

u running a lsd or full welded posi?

you will love the tq response of the ls1 in that light rear end. Its gonna make ur low speed drifts alot more controlling.

They shut us all down here were i live so i had to build my car for the drag now. its the only legal thing we got here.

Black
    1993 Nissan 240sx

I welded the diff. Ive run with the vlsd and my other car had a 2way but I really perfer the welded. Its very predictable.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

ha ha same here man. welded is the only way to go on these cars. I have a bad problem of busting axles at the track. But im too cheap to upgrade them lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Camo_2750 View Post
    Did you fab your own parts or order a swap kit? I started off fabricating it myself but time was a factor. Too much other stuff going on so I went ahead and ordered the swap kit from daft innovations. Should be here any day now and I can get started. Ill make a build thread and post some pics when I get things rollin.
    I bought a prefabricated kit like you just did. It consisted of the 2 side 240SX mounts that had adapter plates welded to them to match up with the LS1 block. The transmission mount was custom built, but rather simple looking. Make sure you get the GTO oilpan, so it clears the front swaybar. You'll also need to notch out the front crossmember a tiny bit. Other than that it's a drop in swap. You'll need a custom driveshaft, depending on the kit you go with (Some kits are close enough in spec that you can shim the bolt on point to within specs - others are too far off and require a custom shaft). The wiring is pretty straightforward as well, but have fun wiring up the dash if you're using the factory readings (factory console incompatible). I had a friend do mine, who's a wiring magician, and he got it to work. If you run aftermarket tach and speedo, no worries here. I'm not sure if Daft Innovations solves some of these issues or not, since there was no reference to refer to when I was doing mine.

There are some hiccups and troubleshooting along the way, since every car is a bit different. But, if you can swap an SR, you should be able to swap an LS1.

Other tips: For the radiator get the KA and not the SR one, since the coolant inlet is closer to the LS1 outlet for the KA radiator. This keeps you from running some rediculous crossover hose setup. Make sure it's at minimum, a Koyo radiator. The factory one isn't going to cut it with this size motor.

I went with Hinson headers, there are a couple brands you can get that work with the S13 chassis. Make yourself your custom exhaust, since you seem to be into that (some do a traditional Y pipe to a singe out, others do true duals, the later being difficult to fit under an S13 chassis). As for the intake, measure what you need, go to Lowe's and get the black ABS plastic PVS piping. This stuff stays cooler than aluminum and will cost you about $6-10 to make the intake. Get the 255 Walbro fuel pump, if you don't have already. LS1 Edit, will get you some cheap tuning and at least get the car on the road before you dish out some money on some more expensive tuning platforms.

And for all the rest of your engine modification needs take a trip over to the LS1 Help Section. Lot's of information there to get aquainted with the motor. One thing you'll like about this swap is it's 10 times easier to work on the motor in a S13 chassis than it is in a standard F-body, since in the F-body some of the engine is stuffed under the firewall, and you have to take shit off to get to shit. I owned an F-body... not fun (even a spark plug change is a 2 hour job).

If you're drifting the car, I might recommend some stiffer valve springs and push rods, since in some turns you'll be tapping the rev limiter alot. LS1s don't like that at all. Also some people have problems with oil lubrication when under hard Gs while drifting, since all the oil goes to one side of the pan. These LS1s were meant for F-body straight line performance. I'm not sure what other options you have for this other than trying to get an LS7 dry sump to work with your setup (that's alot of money though). You should be okay as long as you aren't going nuts doing 100mph drifts.

Once you've become aquianted with the motor, you can start speccing the car to your preference by picking out a nice cam setup that will compliment your driving style and what part of the RPM band you use the most. Also the LS1 (T56) transmission is a bit notchy compared to an import transmission so it might take a bit getting used to (make sure you put an aftermarket clutch in there.... you're going to fry the stock one drifting).

I'm sure this is , but if you have any questions let me know.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

hello subscribing. i was a big nissan nut befor i got my ta.

red
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    hello subscribing. i was a big nissan nut befor i got my ta.
    funny, i hear a lotta X BRAND nuts now ownin f-bodies/lsx's, but i've never heard anyone say "yea i was big into ls1's before i got my nissan". . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information