Bronze
    1970 Corvette

LQ9 in older truck

I have several older muscle cars, and and am an engine builder. This is my first LS style engine project. I have built an LQ9 with a ASA cam and LS7 valve springs, locks and retainers. I am going to put this in a 89 Chevy 4X4 pickup. I have the engine done and have put some trans-dapt motor mount adapters on the engine. I will be putting the engine in soon. Has anyone out there done this?

Thanks
    Russ432

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Hello and welcome post some pics of your project!!
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Bronze
    1970 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Hello and welcome post some pics of your project!!
    Thanks for your interest Jay. I will take some picts as I progress. I still have a few external parts to get before I can pull the "350" out. I need to get the rest of the accessory drive, the flex plate and have my exhaust guy look at the headers I have. They are LS3 headers and I'm not sure they will work in the truck.

What cam do you have in your SS? I am going to run the engine on my test stand before I put it in the truck. I want to see if I am going to have to change the torque converter with this ASA cam. I want to see how it idles before I do the swap. I am using the ECM and harness from the "502" ram jet. My son runs the GM race shop dyno facility and has the program that I need for this engine combo. I'm hoping it should be a fun project.

Thanks
    Russ

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by russ432 View Post
    Thanks for your interest Jay. I will take some picts as I progress. I still have a few external parts to get before I can pull the "350" out. I need to get the rest of the accessory drive, the flex plate and have my exhaust guy look at the headers I have. They are LS3 headers and I'm not sure they will work in the truck.

What cam do you have in your SS? I am going to run the engine on my test stand before I put it in the truck. I want to see if I am going to have to change the torque converter with this ASA cam. I want to see how it idles before I do the swap. I am using the ECM and harness from the "502" ram jet. My son runs the GM race shop dyno facility and has the program that I need for this engine combo. I'm hoping it should be a fun project.

Thanks
    Russ
    Hey Russ, I do not have my cam put in my camaro yet but I am going to get this one 230/230 .609/.604 with 111 lsa +2. Should put me around 420 HP once I get it in with a ls6 intake and proper tune.

My Elcamino Has an Edlebrock RPM airgap intake with matching cam, roller rockers and a Demon 750.

Bronze
    1970 Corvette

Hey Russ, I do not have my cam put in my camaro yet but I am going to get this one 230/230 .609/.604 with 111 lsa +2. Should put me around 420 HP once I get it in with a ls6 intake and proper tune.

My Elcamino Has an Edlebrock RPM airgap intake with matching cam, roller rockers and a Demon 750.
    Hey Jay: That cam should wake up the camero pretty good. It will sound great at idle. Your El Camino sounds great. I love the older cars. My Son and I have a fun stable. I have a 70 vette 4 speed, 4:11 gears with a all aluminum 432ci small block with 18 degree heads. It made 732 on the dyno. I have a 69 vette convert. Stock block with cam,maniold and headers. Also a 95 Impala SS. My Son has a 66 caprice big block, a 31 chevy coupe that I built a 540ci big block and a 56 chevy that I am in the process of building a 540 for. We are going to build this just for a drag car. It already had a roll bar in it. I love those early chevys with fender well headers.

These new style engines amaze me. The heads and the ports are really well designed. They make great power. I took that LQ9 apart and was surprised to find the pistons are coated not only on the skirts, but have the thermal coating on the top of the pistons, and they have full floating pins. I did a five angle valve job on the heads and used the LS7 springs, locks and retainers. I checked the springs and they had 115 lbs seat pressure and 310 lbs at .525 lift. This is the first LS style engine I have built. They are really well designed. I didn't want to use too much lift because I will be using the truck to tow a 18ft enclosed motorcycle trailer. My Son lives in Michigan and I go back and forth several times a year, and I bring engines and parts often.

Are you going to change anything else other than the cam. I have LS3 headers on the LQ9. They look similar to the shorty headers. The outlets on them are 2 1/2. My friend is going to make me up a cross over to go into the flowmaster that I have on it. I am looking forward to the project.

Happy Motoring
    Russ

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Hey Jay: That cam should wake up the camero pretty good. It will sound great at idle. Your El Camino sounds great. I love the older cars. My Son and I have a fun stable. I have a 70 vette 4 speed, 4:11 gears with a all aluminum 432ci small block with 18 degree heads. It made 732 on the dyno. I have a 69 vette convert. Stock block with cam,maniold and headers. Also a 95 Impala SS. My Son has a 66 caprice big block, a 31 chevy coupe that I built a 540ci big block and a 56 chevy that I am in the process of building a 540 for. We are going to build this just for a drag car. It already had a roll bar in it. I love those early chevys with fender well headers.

These new style engines amaze me. The heads and the ports are really well designed. They make great power. I took that LQ9 apart and was surprised to find the pistons are coated not only on the skirts, but have the thermal coating on the top of the pistons, and they have full floating pins. I did a five angle valve job on the heads and used the LS7 springs, locks and retainers. I checked the springs and they had 115 lbs seat pressure and 310 lbs at .525 lift. This is the first LS style engine I have built. They are really well designed. I didn't want to use too much lift because I will be using the truck to tow a 18ft enclosed motorcycle trailer. My Son lives in Michigan and I go back and forth several times a year, and I bring engines and parts often.

Are you going to change anything else other than the cam. I have LS3 headers on the LQ9. They look similar to the shorty headers. The outlets on them are 2 1/2. My friend is going to make me up a cross over to go into the flowmaster that I have on it. I am looking forward to the project.

Happy Motoring
    Russ
    Yes, you can read my mod list in my signature in my profile. My Cam and intake are next. I allready put headers, off road y pipe, New lid, All the suspension up grades and I have a ford 9" with a strange pro nodular center, detroit locker and 4.30 gears (got to love the 6 speed).

I have had mostly old stuff since I was 15 1/2. I have had several chevy 2's, novas, Chevelles, camaros, firebirds, a 68 charger, el caminos, a 68 caprice 396, and others. My father has always been there to help with the mods, and we used to drag race all the time together at the track (too bad he moved away to Maine).

These new gen motors just are amazing. They build some awesome hp.

On a side note I see you are a jet engine guy, I am a lead A&P Mechanic at Frontier Airlines, and have been in Aviation almost 18 years now. Nothing like running up an Airbus 319 with both engines at takeoff power, Man what a rush!!!
    Take care, Jason
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 12-12-2007 at 09:30 AM.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Welcome!
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Bronze
    1970 Corvette

Yes, you can read my mod list in my signature in my profile. My Cam and intake are next. I allready put headers, off road y pipe, New lid, All the suspension up grades and I have a ford 9" with a strange pro nodular center, detroit locker and 4.30 gears (got to love the 6 speed).

I have had mostly old stuff since I was 15 1/2. I have had several chevy 2's, novas, Chevelles, camaros, firebirds, a 68 charger, el caminos, a 68 caprice 396, and others. My father has always been there to help with the mods, and we used to drag race all the time together at the track (too bad he moved away to Maine).

These new gen motors just are amazing. They build some awesome hp.

On a side note I see you are a jet engine guy, I am a lead A&P Mechanic at Frontier Airlines, and have been in Aviation almost 18 years now. Nothing like running up an Airbus 319 with both engines at takeoff power, Man what a rush!!!
    Take care, Jason
    I agree, the Jet engines are really a rush. I work at the GE jet engine plant in Lynn,Ma. I was a flight line crew chief in The A.F., and I have been an engine tester for over 30 years,and the last 3 years I have been running the combustion development facility. I really enjoy it. I test the F414 engines for the F18's. I sometimes have to go in the test cell to find fuel leaks at full a/b. As you said it is a rush.

Its too bad that your Dad moved to Maine. It makes it a lot easier, and it is more fun when you have someone to play with. My Son works for GM and lives in Michigan. He comes home often, and I go out there a lot and we work together on our projects together, but I still miss him being home. Did your Dad retire and move to Maine?

Happy Motoring
    Russ

Bronze
    1970 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    Welcome!
    Nice car Tyler. It is amazing the power the LS motors make. They are fun to drive.

Happy Motoring
    Russ

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I agree, the Jet engines are really a rush. I work at the GE jet engine plant in Lynn,Ma. I was a flight line crew chief in The A.F., and I have been an engine tester for over 30 years,and the last 3 years I have been running the combustion development facility. I really enjoy it. I test the F414 engines for the F18's. I sometimes have to go in the test cell to find fuel leaks at full a/b. As you said it is a rush.

Its too bad that your Dad moved to Maine. It makes it a lot easier, and it is more fun when you have someone to play with. My Son works for GM and lives in Michigan. He comes home often, and I go out there a lot and we work together on our projects together, but I still miss him being home. Did your Dad retire and move to Maine?

Happy Motoring
    Russ
    Yes, my parents retired and moved up near Augusta in Windsor. I really miss them a lot. I fly for free and try to see them when I can. I would really like to move up that way I love New England. I might start looking for jobs that way (HINT HINT). Any way take care and if you know of anything up there let me know. Jason

Black Cherry/Gold
    1998 Z28

welcome

Bronze
    1970 Corvette

Yes, my parents retired and moved up near Augusta in Windsor. I really miss them a lot. I fly for free and try to see them when I can. I would really like to move up that way I love New England. I might start looking for jobs that way (HINT HINT). Any way take care and if you know of anything up there let me know. Jason
    I'm sure you do miss them a lot. I feel the same way about my son. He loves his work and I'm glad that he has a great job, but I miss him a lot. We were always close and still are, but they are not in your day to day life. We talk nearly everyday, but it's still not the same. What did your Dad do?

I'm not aware of a G.E. plant in that area. Is there one? I work in the assembly and test area and am in management. I am good friends with the guys that run both the test and assembly areas. With your experience you would have no trouble getting a job. If there is a place up there let me know. We just hired six new testers. There is a plant in Hookset N.H. They make blades for us. I have been out of work since Sept. I am looking forward to going back. This is the first time I have ever been out of work. I really miss it. I love my work and I work with a great bunch of guys. The Doctors tell me I will be able to go back by the end of January. I have Multiple Myoloma. It is a rare blood cancer. I had a stemcell transplant in Sept. They tell me that it is gone for now. I feel pretty good, but it took a lot out of me and I am still a little weak, but feeling better every day. I am looking forward to putting that LQ9 in my truck. Did you buy one of those Currie rearends to put the ford 9" in your car? Great idea. It must pull hard with the 4:30 gears and the six speed. Those six speeds are great. You can run a gear, and still travel on the highway. Before they released the Z06's they made four production cars and gave them to the nuts in the race shop to beat on and see if anything broke. They drove them all over the country. My son brought one home. It was a production car with all stock stuff. It ran 11.74 @ 128, ran 198 on the oval track and he drove it home and got 22 mpg. They are something else. I was amazed at how well it shifted with the trans axle. One time he brought home a Caddy CTS with a 6.0 liter six speed. Actually I think the put those into production. Great car. Sorry I don't mean to ramble on.

Take Care
    Russ

Bronze
    1970 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by FlyinZ28 View Post
    welcome
    Thanks for the welcome. You have a nice car. The new Cameros are great.

Happy Motoring
    Russ

Black
    2000 S-10 Blazer

1st off welcome. I have not put a LQ9 in a older truck but, I put a LT1 with a T-56 in a 2000 S-10 Blazer. I will try to help if i can but still learning on all of this LS1 or gen lll small block stuff.
    Hi. My name is Dan and I'm a RWHP addict.

Bronze
    1970 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by D_blaze View Post
    1st off welcome. I have not put a LQ9 in a older truck but, I put a LT1 with a T-56 in a 2000 S-10 Blazer. I will try to help if i can but still learning on all of this LS1 or gen lll small block stuff.
    Thanks for the offer. I have the engine done, but put it on my engine test stand to fire it up and set everyting up before I put it in the truck and found out that the Trans-dapt motor mounts are not even close. I am going have to look into this more. I will probably end up making something myself.

Russ

Thread Information