silver
    1999 camaro Z28

just signed up. would appreciate any helpful advice

i would like to know how i can squeeze out as much hp out of my 99 ls1 z28. i dont have a budget for superchargers but would like to know whatelse i can do. i already have an aftermarket y-pipe and exhaust with a cut out. and i will be ordering a k&n cold air intake. if anyone could please tell me other simple mods to get some extra hp id appreciate it. also if anyone can give their thoughts on the methynol injection kits. thanks

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome aboard!

just cruise around and you'll find some stickies and multiple threads about free-ram air mod, aftermarket MAF sensors, and other such things...

2002 trans am ws6

well i wouldn't buy the k&n cold intake ,for that much money i would buy the volant intake ( i think thats the name i could be wrong) although i have the slp lid they are cheaper. do you have headers? also you could change the ls1 intake for the ls6 intake.

oh yea welcome to ls1.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome! Your greatest gains are realized by either a lid or CAI, which will net you around 10 to 15 hp, and long tube headers, which can add about 25 hp. In all seriousness, the oiled cotton gauze air filters, such as K&N, are not your best choice. They simply allow too much dirt to pass into an engine.

Wiley suggested changing out the MAF. I will respectfully disagree. The stock MAF will support up to 500 hp and its output is calibrated for your PCM. Also, do not de-blade, de-screen or port the MAF as that will adversly affect its ability to read incoming airflow and your fueling will be affected.

Other simple mods include installing a cooler thermostat, however, this requires that the fan settings be reprogrammed. You can port and polish the throttle body and run a coolant bypass so that hot engine coolant does not circulate through it. You may also wish to consider a mail order tune from Frost (site sponsor) which will also up your engine's output.

Last, but not least, some simple maintenance items like plugs and wires, replacing old upstream O2 senders with new units, and cleaning your MAF with CRC Spray MAF cleaner can all help your car achieve its maximum potential. Note that replacement coil packs are not necessary unless you have significant power adders or up the compression. The stock units work great.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

air in and air out with a tune. You can also help yourself a lot with tires. No sense in making the power if you can't put it to the ground. Get a set of Nitto's or something along those lines. Are you an auto or stick car? If auto get a stall. Leave the MAF stock.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Welcome!

I wouldn't waste the money on a CAI, I would get a lid and put the paper filter in it like Jeff recommended with a ported throttle body. From there, especially if you have an automatic transmission, I would go with the tune from frost, only $150 I believe. If your haven't done long tubes, this would be the next step, but I would also do the motor mounts and a tune up while you do this. Next, possible some sub frame connectors (UMI 3 points specifically) then like Orion said, some good sticky tires. Tons of recommendations after these points, really depends on your goals.

I believe the methanol kits are for forced induction applications IIRC, so you won't need one.

silver
    1999 camaro Z28

thanks for the replies. now to answer a few questions. i bought the car last summer unfortunately it was a buy as is deal. with that being said i had to replace MAF, O2"s. I have cleaned out the throttle body. i would like to purchase long tube headers possibly this summer. also the car is a 6 speed. i will definately look into the frost tune. also if i swap out the ls1 intake and go with an ls6 i should probably just wait to tune it right.? i see a lot of people on here going with a bigger throttle body whats anyones thoughts on that. as far as suspension i ordered a few days ago aftermarket lower control arms and panhard bar. im hoping that stops my wheel hop.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by gsp0721 View Post
    thanks for the replies. now to answer a few questions. i bought the car last summer unfortunately it was a buy as is deal. with that being said i had to replace MAF, O2"s. I have cleaned out the throttle body. i would like to purchase long tube headers possibly this summer. also the car is a 6 speed. i will definately look into the frost tune. also if i swap out the ls1 intake and go with an ls6 i should probably just wait to tune it right.? i see a lot of people on here going with a bigger throttle body whats anyones thoughts on that. as far as suspension i ordered a few days ago aftermarket lower control arms and panhard bar. im hoping that stops my wheel hop.
    get the lca relocation brackets.....they make bolt on versions. That'll stop your wheel hop. I would honestly hold off on the tune IF there are other mods coming in the next 6 months or so. There's some horsepower to be found on a stock car for sure but I would get a few bolt ons on there first and then worry about the tune.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Welcome to LS1.com.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

No need for a bigger throttle body unless your swapping the heads/cam. Even then, the ls6 intake and a ported stock throttle body still does a good job. I'd go lid, long tube headers, port your stock tb, cutout (I believe you said you have one already), maybe an underdrive crank pulley. Also all the routine maintence as pajeff said.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site.

silver
    1999 camaro Z28

yea ive read a couple places about an underdrive crank pulley. i will definately look into that and also getting the throttle body ported.

Thread Information