white
    2000 Camaro z-28 ss

just another new guy

hello everybody,
    i just joined today and wanted to say Hello.
    i just purchased a 2000 Camaro SS, it has 59,000 miles on it, it needs some cosmetic work ( the sun really got to it). it's all stock except for gears(4.10's) and a exhaust. it has a auto trans. this is my first LS motor, so i have a lot of learning to do. but i feel with the experience on the forum i should be in good hands. i'll post pics soon, like nobody has seen a car like mine ever lol. i hope this car is problem free. is there any weak points i should look out for?
    thanks in advance

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. There are a few areas known to cause issues with our cars. Most can be remedied fairly easily and cheap. VATS being one of them, but that can be bypassed. The torque arm is clamped to the tailshaft of the tranny, and can cause the tailshaft to break under heavy launches. The rear ends are known to break under stock power, and that's a little more expensive of a fix. The power steering cooler is a poor design and can fail and cause cross contamination of fluids. The passenger window motor wiring can be replaced with a kit by Autotrix, to ensure longer life. Many of these things may never give you a problem, but they are some of the more common issues. Any specific areas or questions, just feel free to ask and we'll do our best to help you out.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

white
    2000 Camaro z-28 ss

i'm sorry but what is VATS?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^ Welcome !! Congrats on your smart choice for a car The Ls motors are great lots of potential to make big power out of a small block and they are plentiful I fully agree with Knight about the ''faults'' that are apparent on some cars, The window motors (for sure!!) very common,also the rear end! ( he`s so on the money! mine went out when i was ''stock'' just 1 week before my extended warranty ran out !) The torque arm bushing ''had cracks'' etc but over all you should have a blast with your new toy!! GOOD LUCK!

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Welcome!

VATS-Vehicle Anti-Theft System. Take a look at your key. Without getting too technical, there is a resistor in the key that matches resistance to the ignition switch and allows the car to be started. When the VATS goes bad (either the resistor in the key or the ignition switch itself goes bad) the car won't start. The security light on the dash will also light up when this occurs. There is a write-up on how to bypass VATS in the General Help forum under technical write-ups & stickies, should you ever need it.
    Last edited by FinZ28; 07-14-2012 at 04:15 AM.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, Richard, and congrats on the SS You're in good hands here. We have a lot of knowledgeable people that are more than willing to help with any issues that may arise.

white
    2000 Camaro z-28 ss

thanks for the warm welcome everybody, and for the info. i think i will be in good hands here, and look forward to having some fun with my car

white
    2000 Camaro z-28 ss

so what would be the next bang for the buck performance improvement to do next?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Lid. Then some subframe connectors. After that, it'll all depend on what your goal is for the car.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by vorstang View Post
    so what would be the next bang for the buck performance improvement to do next?
    So you have headers and an exhaust already?...what about going with CAI larger T/B and intake? A sick tune from Frost will help (i hear).....heads? etc? LOTS....

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

True ..I mean you can go mild to wild....It all depends on what your goal is or how much money you have to spend..Its almost unlimited.Right guys?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Welcome to the site Richard. You will gain so much info by reading these forums and the people are a blast. Enjoy.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

white
    2000 Camaro z-28 ss

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    So you have headers and an exhaust already?...what about going with CAI larger T/B and intake? A sick tune from Frost will help (i hear).....heads? etc? LOTS....
    just a cat back system

white
    2000 Camaro z-28 ss

i think i want a set of headers and i'd like to go with a true dual exhaust system, who makes a good header and exhaust system? down the road i'd like a supercharger. i'm gonna make my own subframe connectors. also i'd like a tuner, can you change the shift points on the auto trans. ?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by vorstang View Post
    i think i want a set of headers and i'd like to go with a true dual exhaust system, who makes a good header and exhaust system? down the road i'd like a supercharger. i'm gonna make my own subframe connectors. also i'd like a tuner, can you change the shift points on the auto trans. ?
    Oh Man ,,You definately will feel the difference with LT headers !! Performance and sound are so enhanced youll make an excuse just to drive it tee-hee..In my opinion KooKs makes a great header (not just cause ive got `em) Magna-flow makes a great catback too! as far as tuners theres handhelds (Diablosports new I-tune or hypertech) theres also laptop (HP) tuners etc...or you can go Frost(which alot of guys here did) ,,and yes all of the afore mentioned have the ability to change shift points.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Welcome to the site. Most common first mods are a lid, headers, sub-frame connectors and exhaust.

Kooks and ARH are the best headers your wallet can buy. Both are stainless steel. TSP also now makes a SS header. If you plan on going FI later on, get 1-7/8.

Best performance bang for your buck in an auto car is an aftermarket stall.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Thread Information