black
    2001 gmc sierra 1500

hello im new to this site and i need some pointers

I got a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 and i want to do an engine swap to a 6.0 engine so i can get more horse power ill be doing the tranny aswell if someone have some ideas of what i can do or should do ill really apreiate

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome aboard, Alex. I put a copy of your post in the General Help section. You'll get more responces in that section

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Welcome, good choice for the engine swap. What exactly are your goals for this truck? If you're looking to just wake her up then a few boltons would probably be cheaper. I asume you've got the 4.8L in the Sierra, most of us do. I also have an 01' SLE Sierra, I woke her up a bit by installing a Cherry Bomb extreme kit, CAI, and MSD wires w/Delco Iridiums. Huge difference and still gets good mileage, I plan on a LT's and a Hot Cam kit in the future. Turbo charged 4.8L's are putting down some good numbers, always another possibility. But of course if your stock engine is high in miles then a 6.0 swap is definitely the right route to go. You'll definitely want to get the harness with the engine you'll be swapping in and unless you plan on upgrading to a 4L80E you could probably just have your current trans built up a bit more and possibly swap to a stalled converter. Hope this helps, keep us posted.

ASA Cam, Built A4, 3500 Stall, LT's, ORY, Hooker CB, E Cut-out, Lid, Modified SSRA, , SFC's,UMI Tq Arm w/relo, Spohn LCA's, 3.73's, Free Mods, Dyno tuned by James @ SpeedShift Performance. Need more suspension mods!!!

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Welcome to LS1.com!! KahanaReef can you put a copy in the GM Truck section as well??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

like was said.....why not just go forced induction on the 4.8? It would be cheaper, less work, and you'd keep the better gas mileage when not in the pedal. Some killer numbers have been put down with that motor boosting it.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

First welcome to the site. Now there are many people making huge power with a 4.8. Unless there is just some reason you are wanting a 6.0 I would just do a h/c/i on the 4.8 for a big gain. Or you can take it to the next level and stroke it or as said above fi. Plus you won't be picking up all the extra weight that you would with the 6.0. Anyway good luck.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Welcome to the site
    Lots of great info and helpful people here to help you out

black
    2001 gmc sierra 1500

thanks for the info everybody ..

thanks for all the answers i havent been here cause i was out of town....regarding the info u gave me i have a 5.3 not a 4.8 on my truck people tell me to do just the ls6 heads over the block i have but i got 170k onto this engine thats why i wanna do the 6.0 but if theres anything i can do with this 5.3 and the mileage on it im open to any suggestions...and again thanks everybody...

black
    2001 gmc sierra 1500

thanks

u mention a 4.8 engine but my truck has a 5.3 with 170k thats why i wanna do the swap to see if it is possible to bring it up to 500 hp without going crazy with money but if this engine had less than 100k i was going to put ls6 heads but with this mileages i dont think is worth it just the heads if u got any suggestions in what should i do im all ears and again thanks for reponding to my question

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome aboard alex

Thread Information