Thread: Hello everyone!

Dark blue metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

Hello everyone!

Hi everyone, newbie to these boards here. I've been a lurker before, and a few years back a searcher.

I'm here mainly becuase my dad has a '99 Camaro SS. It's an A4 convertible. Oddly enough, when he bought the car, he was looking for something more sporty and I pushed him in the direction of the Camaro. To my surprise, one day he asked me "Whats so special about the SS package?" The rest was history.

Oddly enough, he wanted the M6, but got an A4 because my mom, who doesn't drive stick, wanted to be able to drive the car. So far she's driven it about 20 miles out of 152,000.

I think one of my points to him about the car was "It has the LS1 engine!"

I came back here mainly becuase I have his car for the week. It's been in his garage for awhile, and for the past month the state inspection was expired. He told me it just needed a foglight and rear taillight but he just hadn't had the time to mess with it.

As mentioned, the car has 152,000 miles on it now, all original, not one major problem!

So I got it inspected, but noticed it was running a bit rough espeically at part throttle. So last night I treated the car to some basic maintenace - cleaned the IAC, throttle body, and MAF, and new air cleaner. I have a fuel filter in the trunk that I'll put on this weekend.

So the car is running tons better today, nice and smooth, and feeling more powerful.

The only other problem this car has is the fluid in the rear end was leaking and my dad didn't catch it early on. The result was running with low diff fluid, so now the car has a rubbing/grinding noise in the rear that increases with speed. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong, whether it's ring/pinion related, or axle bearings. But it runs just fine otherwise - still it may be time for a rear end refreshment.

Anyway, as for me, I'm just an all around car guy. Right now I have a 2003 Mercury Marauder with a Trilogy (Eaton) supercharger. It has 8.5lbs of boost and about 460hp. I did the blower isntall myself, as I do most of my own work. I've also got a 1990 Mustang GT 5spd with 199,500 miles currently on the clock. I know that may be the wrong side of the automotive spectrum for the LS1 forums (Fords and all) but me I'm not too much of a brand loyalist though I will admit I pretty much stick to domestics. (Except for old british sports cars...my first car was a 1980 Jaguar with a 305/4bbl Chevy smallblock.)

Also sticking to the LS1 theme, my roommate has a C5 Vette which just got a Magnussen blower. He had a bearing failure in it shortly into having it installed, so we had to pull it and reinstall it once he got Magnussen to fix it under warranty. I helped him with all that too.

Going back to the Marauder...I do drag race it from time to time. Thusfar my best is a 13.1@106mph on street tires. Since then I've gotten a set of MT drag radials, and my only trip to the track with those the darn timing and computer system at the track blew up and i had to go home without any runs. I'm probably going to wait for cooler weather at this point but I do know with 8.5lbs the car will run in the mid to high 12's. Some Marauders are running in the 10's now too.

So anyway...that's me...hello everybody.
    Last edited by Breadfan; 07-20-2006 at 11:31 AM.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Welcome!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yep. welcome.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Yep, I'm new here also (how ya doin' Breadfan!). I also own a supercharged Marauder. I run 12.2- 12.0 ET's on pump gas and drag radials depending on the track temperatures. I really like the LS1 engines in the Camaros,Trans-Ams and Vettes though. Their exhaust note also sounds nicer than my car. However, as long as those cars are naturally aspirated, I always beat them with my big tank of a Marauder. I'm pleased about that because I know that your cars are no slouches!!!

Thread Information