Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Hello

My name is Corey, and though I don't actually own an LS1, I've been very interested in purchasing a Trans Am. I've always liked the way they looked and heard nothing but good things about the performance. I was just wondering though, what should I look for when shopping for T/A's? Any particular bugs or trouble spots I need to be aware of? I've been browsing this forum trying to research some stuff, and it makes me want a T/A more and more. Thanks in advance,

Corey

btw, you all have some badass rides.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    My name is Corey, and though I don't actually own an LS1, I've been very interested in purchasing a Trans Am. I've always liked the way they looked and heard nothing but good things about the performance. I was just wondering though, what should I look for when shopping for T/A's? Any particular bugs or trouble spots I need to be aware of? I've been browsing this forum trying to research some stuff, and it makes me want a T/A more and more. Thanks in advance,

Corey

btw, you all have some badass rides.
    Hey welcome to the site

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

welcome to the site, hopefully you'll be roll'in a t/a by this summer, just use common sence like looking at any other car, low miles dont hurt, although these cars do run very well even past 100,000+ miles, my t/a has 80,000 mi and I have hardly had to do any repairs to it, just tires,oil changes,belts ect..good luck in your search

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Try Ls1tech and look for cars there most are cherry and already modified w/ the price of stock beater cars that you find at the family dealership. Go introduce yourself in the regional forums and ask for local tuners, if/when you find your car take it to them and have them look it over.

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Welcome!!! The only thing i would say regarding your search is: WS.6...lol...cant beat the hood style...but thats just me...good luck in finding one!!! You won't be dissapointed

1994 Z28 MQBM
    2001 SS #1629 LPM

Welcome! Mileage is only a number if they are taken care of! Good luck in your search for your LS1. Just be aware that these cars have thier quirks just like anything else. Window motors, fuel pumps, transmissions, in your case with a TA headlight motors, etc. They are all plagued at one point or another. BUT I will fix my SS before I get rid of it! All of these things are easy fixes once you have done them 4 or 5 times! lol.
    www.fquick.com/ntimid8r7

www.cccfonline.com

Triple H Coating
    Specializing in Powder and Ceramic Coating
    steve@triplehcoating.com
    www.triplehcoating.com

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Welcome to the site.

Check the mileage and other standard stuff. Be sure to check the flip up headlights, the gearing is problematic, but the metal gear replacement mod can fix that.

Also check the windows, the power window motors go bad sometimes, the fbody has one of the largest windows GM ever put on a vehicle, so they are heavy and put a lot of strain on the motors. I've had to replace 3 motors so far and my car only has 53k some number of miles. Not much for a 9 year old car.

If you're looking for a convertible like I have, I'll tell you from experience you may have to be more selective in the parts you buy, many don't fit the convertible. Also, some of the instructions on the writeup threads won't apply to you. The sound system is different, the frame, even something like changing the rear shocks is done differently in the convertible than in the coupe or T-Top. In general its harder to mod the convertible but its more fun to drive.

You might want to look in the site's "For Sale" section to see if they have what you want.

Good luck on your search, hope you find what you're looking for.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6) View Post
    Welcome!!! The only thing i would say regarding your search is: WS.6...lol...cant beat the hood style...but thats just me...good luck in finding one!!! You won't be dissapointed
    The difference in insurance costs between the ram air TA and the nonram air TA can be as much as $150 dollars a month. I know from experience, mine is a ws7. You could just buy a nonram air and add the hood. Sorry to "Disappoint" you Brad. (BTW thats my name too, weird huh?)

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by Brad(WS/Z0.6) View Post
    so is the hood the only thing that sets apart the ws6? i always thought it had a better engine and stuff too...?

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    Welcome to the site.

Check the mileage and other standard stuff. Be sure to check the flip up headlights, the gearing is problematic, but the metal gear replacement mod can fix that.

Also check the windows, the power window motors go bad sometimes, the fbody has one of the largest windows GM ever put on a vehicle, so they are heavy and put a lot of strain on the motors. I've had to replace 3 motors so far and my car only has 53k some number of miles. Not much for a 9 year old car.

If you're looking for a convertible like I have, I'll tell you from experience you may have to be more selective in the parts you buy, many don't fit the convertible. Also, some of the instructions on the writeup threads won't apply to you. The sound system is different, the frame, even something like changing the rear shocks is done differently in the convertible than in the coupe or T-Top. In general its harder to mod the convertible but its more fun to drive.

You might want to look in the site's "For Sale" section to see if they have what you want.

Good luck on your search, hope you find what you're looking for.

thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    so is the hood the only thing that sets apart the ws6? i always thought it had a better engine and stuff too...?
    Really the difference is just a few bolt ons. The ram air (additional 15 horsepower or so), better shocks, a better catback exhaust system, and some badges. (Am I missing anything else people?). The engines and transmissions are actually the same and you can very easily take a non ws6 and turn it into ws6 (Like me!) When its a non ws6 converted over its called a ws7.

As I mentioned before, insurance is significantly less for a non ws6 even though they have the same engine. I don't know if insurance is a problem for you but I've been driving mine since I was 15, and I'm sure you are aware how the insurance price situation is for us teenage drivers, the early on conversion actually ended up paying for itself several times over by now with the amount I saved.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

oh ok, i was wondering what a ws7 was as well. thanks for the clarification. i just turned 25 and have a pretty decent record when it comes to driving. haven't had a ticket or anything since 2006ish - i think i should be ok. it'd probably be cheaper to buy a non ws6 anyway, especially if they already have the same engine/trans as the other.

None

Low miles if possible?
    WS6 for Sure... or buy a SS!

Welcome aboard

Bright Blue Metallic
    1999 Camaro Z28

welcome

Black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

The difference in insurance costs between the ram air TA and the nonram air TA can be as much as $150 dollars a month. I know from experience, mine is a ws7. You could just buy a nonram air and add the hood. Sorry to "Disappoint" you Brad. (BTW thats my name too, weird huh?)
    aren't you one of my friends on profile??? lol...i thought we joined on in the same week..me, you, and another guy...

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Really the difference is just a few bolt ons. The ram air (additional 15 horsepower or so), better shocks, a better catback exhaust system, and some badges. (Am I missing anything else people?). The engines and transmissions are actually the same and you can very easily take a non ws6 and turn it into ws6 (Like me!) When its a non ws6 converted over its called a ws7.

As I mentioned before, insurance is significantly less for a non ws6 even though they have the same engine. I don't know if insurance is a problem for you but I've been driving mine since I was 15, and I'm sure you are aware how the insurance price situation is for us teenage drivers, the early on conversion actually ended up paying for itself several times over by now with the amount I saved.
    close, you missed bigger wheels....

but IMO ill take a Ws.6 over a Ws.7 any day....

As a matter of fact I am. I joined earlier but didn't start really posting till recently within the last 2-3 months. Before that I just had the profile so I could use the thread search feature.

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    close, you missed bigger wheels....

but IMO ill take a Ws.6 over a Ws.7 any day....

Knew I forgot something. Don't get me wrong I love the 6 I'm just happy I saved an assload of money on insurance with my ws7 vert.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Click for full size

Knew I forgot something. Don't get me wrong I love the 6 I'm just happy I saved an assload of money on insurance with my ws7 vert.
    I pay 90 bucks a month, i'm not worried.....

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    I pay 90 bucks a month, i'm not worried.....
    Well your lucky then. Almost 200 for me and if it was a ws6 it would be over 300. See why I appreciate the 7?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information