91 camaro blue
    1971 Camaro

Deployed New Member

I am a new member and do not have a LS engine as of right now. I own a 71 camaro SS and I have a 391 stroker but I am looking to swap in a LS style engine. I have own 1 LT-1 camaro and 2 LS-1 camaros. I am currently deployed with the 24th MEU and researching my next upgrade for the car. I was initially going for a six speed conversion for now but due to the expense of setting it up on a Gen I block I believe in the long run it is beneficial to get the entire setup. Besides by the time I purchase what I need to get y car running with newer cars I will have dropped 5 grand and still have no air conditioning. I have always intended on putting and LS in my car and truck but was holding out. I miss the fuel mileage and cathedral port heads that come with a LS engine. Everyone points to this site for the best information on the LS community so I look forward to gathering information until I return and can start my conversion.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

welcome to the site... i got my complete LS6 crate for about $3,400.00 a few years ago... the only thing it didn't have was the pullys but i swapped them over form my broken ls1... you may need a custome oil pan but i'm not sure...

91 camaro blue
    1971 Camaro

Thanks for the welcome. LS6 is a nice piece to start with. Right now I am keeping my options open for anything. I originally considered a LQ4 with just a cam swap and 6.2L heads. I believe with the proper build up on this engine you can make the most power with the least amount of money. I even found a short block out of a Silverado before I left for 300 dollars. Again, I run into the cost factor of buying a manual transmission once the engine is complete to go with it. I have found T-56 transmissions for 12 to13 hundred dollars all the time but no clutch, linkage and so forth. I have seen LS2 (which would be nice for the clearance of the AC compressor on the frame) w/T-56 and ECM complete for 6500 dollars on rare occasions. I think this may be the cheaper route considering my end goal of a manual transmission. All the accessories will be nice as well.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. Sounds like a good project.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Welcome to the party bud, Theres plenty of info around the site and tons of people with the knowledge you will need...
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site and good luck with the swap.

This is a great place for ideas and info.

And, thank you for your service

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Welcome to the club! I just joined myself a few days ago and I am also deployed. Where are you at? Good luck over here on this side of the pond, and I look forward to some install threads for you project when you get home and get her all sorted out.

91 camaro blue
    1971 Camaro

I am with the 24th MEU/VMM-162 aboard the USS Nassau right now. I have been searching the web and I have noticed I can get a LT-1 w/T-56 for under 2500 dollars. This might be an option although I really want an LS style engine the manual transmission drives the price up. I plenty of time to find a donor car.

Thread Information