BLACK
    CAMARO 1975 BBC454/TKO600

Cool Another new guy.... from JAPAN!!

Hello all! My name is James, I am stationed here in Japan serving in the worlds #1 Navy. I have about 9 months till I rotate back to the states so I am making plans for some of my future rides/mods now (well for a long time actually, lol!). One of my friends here has a road racing MX-5/Miata NA that has some serious mods to it for stopping and making turns but of course it lacks in the GO department. I joked about putting a GNX V-6 in it but than he turned me on to the Monster Miata/ Venom V8 miata's and I was like "Hell yeah, I am dropping an LSX in one of these!" So, I am doing my research into doing this swap when I get back. I am either going with a L92 6.2L OR a 6.0L from a GTO because I need the biggest motor with an aluminum block... and the L92 also has VVT which would be cool. The LS3 would be cool but a little too $$. Also, if I can make the truck serpentine work within the Miata, I also sourced a Vortech supercharger kit that will be cheap and not have to run an intercooler which will work well with a low setting (6 psi). This will be backed by a T-56 ( maybe 6060) and a 8.8 rear axle. It will bitching and I got the money.

My real love is for my 1975 Camaro, my father had a 77' and it was the 1st car I ever drove. Right now it has a BBC 454ci with a TKO-600 all built by me. It is a fun street car and I managed to get 19mpg on the highway with the 2.73 gears and very careful driving... city driving, don't ask!! But 1 year ago, I went home on vacation and was driving the piss out of it and starting getting a funny noise from a valve cover... turned out a lifter failed and messed up a cam lobe pretty good. My pops is looking after the car right now but has been lazy putting everything back together. We ported the heads and installed a new cam but thats about a far as it's gone so far. I am toying with just getting the BBC running again and selling to pay for most of a LSX swap which will net me way better MPG, a/c, save like 300 lb's off the front end and not worry about drivetrain parts as much as the BBC's do.

So, that is my future plans for right now. As I get close to moving I will more than likely start to collect parts and a car and start the process as soon as I touch down. So, stayed tuned for some fun from my end. I look forward to your collective wisdom on the boards here and to the day I don't need books to work/swap out an LSX motor. Thanks everyone!!

James

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome. Sounds like some great projects! We're always happy to help out in spending money

Any questions, just post them up. We'll do our best to help out.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Welcome to the site, James! I've got to say, those Miata's with LS motors have to be a complete and utter blast to drive It'd be nice if you could swing keeping the 77 too.

Keep us updated

Keep safe!

None

Greetings. Glad to meet another sailor on here. I did 8 years in Japan at NAF Atsugi, best 8 years of my life. Welcome to the board.

BLACK
    CAMARO 1975 BBC454/TKO600

Thanks! I am on my 4th now in Yokosuka, my wife loves it here!! (she is Japanese, LOL) Still, trying to swing it to Hawaii next... top down fun in Hawaii with a LSX miata ,wow... I droll on myself just thinking of it! Thanks for your service too!

None

And thank you too sir. I was in a squadron attached to the Independence and then cross decked over to the Kitty Hawk till I left Japan in 2001. Kitty Hawk was the second worse carrier I have ever been on, the first being the Nimitz (worst 6 month deployment). I enjoyed Yokosuka a great deal, lots of stuff to do around there. Did you ever get to make it up to Auto Salon in Chiba? That is automotive madness with lots of nice cars to see.

blue
    1999 TransAm

welcome - and thanks for your service

Thread Information