Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats a tune?

orange
    1977 Corvette

whats a tune?

what is a tune? ive been reading alot of threads on hear and seeing people talking about having to get there car tuned but i just have no idea what it means. thanks

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Adjustments are made to the car's computer to allow it to run better. Check out one of the sponsers here on the site, Frost. He is very highly recommended when it comes to a mail order tune. His site tells you quite a bit about what he does.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Like Knight said. 4th Gens are fuel injected and have a PCM (Car Computer) The PCM stores lots of information like timing, spark, and fuel tables. The PCM can make adjustments to how the engine performs base on the info it recieves from its sensors like the O2, MAF, and such. Tuners like Frost and Tampa Tuning have the software that can add and delete above tables to help increase HP. With automatics, they can also change shift points for the transmission to give you better shifting and at the track better ETs. They can also delete things like the rear O2 sensors and the Skip Shift. Thats is that thing that makes shifting a M6 a PITA at low rpms. You would delete the rear O2s when you install Long Tube Headers. It is not required but it does get rid of the SES light.

Most ppl only get tunes when the do LTs and tuning is a must if you do a H/C/I (heads/cam/intake). If you just change the intake to a LS6 intake from the LS1 you don't necessary need a tune, but you would benefit more from the intake swap if you got one. In this case I have upgraded to the LS6 intake, but I am waiting till I do a H/C before I get mine re-tuned again.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    His site tells you quite a bit about what he does.
    +1.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP, I forgot to add that I've also been "Tuned by Frost"

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

To the o p this is a great question. I have been wondering the same thing about what exactly a tune means also. In the old days a tune meant new plugs wires set the timing new points ect. Now with computers in cars it means a lot more. Arent these 4th gen cars already tuned from the factory for top performance???? And if you do have them tuned by this guy mr. Frost doesnt the car lose mpgs???

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    To the o p this is a great question. I have been wondering the same thing about what exactly a tune means also. In the old days a tune meant new plugs wires set the timing new points ect. Now with computers in cars it means a lot more. Arent these 4th gen cars already tuned from the factory for top performance???? And if you do have them tuned by this guy mr. Frost doesnt the car lose mpgs???
    No, these cars are not tuned for max performance from the factory. Usually the have a pretty conservative tune in order to meet emission and MPG standards. It is well documented that even stock, having a tune done can boost power and MPG. Depending on the mods done to the car, you may or may not see an effect on your gas mileage. Usually a tune will increase MPG, especially after modding, due to the engine running more efficiently. But then again, most of us do not worry about it. After all, we do own a performance vehicle.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Ok so school me here. You said these cars have a conservative tune from the factory in order to meet emission and mpg standards. So then if your car is stock with no mods a tune will help performance but hurt mpgs? And if your car has mods a tune will help performance and mpgs?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    Ok so school me here. You said these cars have a conservative tune from the factory in order to meet emission and mpg standards. So then if your car is stock with no mods a tune will help performance but hurt mpgs? And if your car has mods a tune will help performance and mpgs?
    If your car is stock, you may see a decline in mpgs and an increase in performance. Or you may not see either. A lot will depend on the person doing the tune. With mods, a tune will definately help in the performance department. Depending on the mods done, you may or may not see a change in mpgs. For example, if you install long tube headers and and intake manifold, and you do not get a tune, you will see an improvement in power, but may see a decrease in mpgs. With a tune - now the computer is set to run with the mods more efficiently, you will see a greater increase in performance, and possibly and increase in mpgs. Again, a lot will depend on the person doing the tune.

orange
    1977 Corvette

how much does he charge for a tune? (ballpark range) and do you just tell him what mods you have and what kind of driving you do?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by ls1_bandit View Post
    how much does he charge for a tune? (ballpark range) and do you just tell him what mods you have and what kind of driving you do?
    http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I can tell you the mail tune from Frost is well worth it, especially if your car is an automatic. My car is pretty much stock engine wise. I only added the airlid and the LS6 intake swap. As soon as I did a test drive with the new tune it was like having a whole different car. The shifting is amazing when you hit the gas pedal. I didn't noticed a huge difference in MPG. If you get more mods like headers, cam , etc you might noticed your MPG drop some.

I know gas prices are going up but if you own one of these vehicles and you want to play around with it you need performance as a priority, then gas. Mine is a daily driver and I'm happy with my tune. I can also say that i have been "Tuned by Frost". His costumer service is top notch.

Hide ya kids Hide ya wife 94ss06gxp's Avatar

Silver, Stealth Gray
    97 SS CLONE, 06 GP GXP

im pretty impressed with the class u guys have with answering his ?'s. i know of other forums that would have just gave him asshole-ish answers for ?'s like this. sorry for the hijack

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp View Post
    im pretty impressed with the class u guys have with answering his ?'s. i know of other forums that would have just gave him asshole-ish answers for ?'s like this. sorry for the hijack
    They were valid questions. Especially if you're not used to working on a car that has everything controlled by a computer. Instead of you physically adjusting the timing by turning the distributor, or changing the jets in the carb, ect., instead you now need to reprogram the car's computer to do that, and recognize the mods you've installed. It took me awhile to get used to it too, as I grew up working on cars where the most complicated electronics were the radio.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Thanks knight for taking the time to help us old school people understand how a tune works and for not giving asshole ish answers. Wil look into frost and his tune

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

They were valid questions. Especially if you're not used to working on a car that has everything controlled by a computer. Instead of you physically adjusting the timing by turning the distributor, or changing the jets in the carb, ect., instead you now need to reprogram the car's computer to do that, and recognize the mods you've installed. It took me awhile to get used to it too, as I grew up working on cars where the most complicated electronics were the radio.
    I agree with Knight 100%. This my 1st performance car so it has been a learning experience. The same way members on this site had helped me when I started I feel I need to help those in the same boat I was. That makes this community grow with more members and keep them staying here.

I know there are other sites that don't have the patience or understanding to answer questions like this. Thats ok because I guarantee you that next time that person has a problem with it's vehicle he will come back to this site.
    Last edited by JayTA98; 03-02-2011 at 08:07 PM.

orange
    1977 Corvette

appreciate the info. to do the tune though, do u have to drive your car there or do you your car computer to him?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ls1_bandit View Post
    appreciate the info. to do the tune though, do u have to drive your car there or do you your car computer to him?
    you can do either. I did the mail order since my mods were minimal and I can pull the PCM out myself. Pulling the PCM is fairly easy.

Hide ya kids Hide ya wife 94ss06gxp's Avatar

Silver, Stealth Gray
    97 SS CLONE, 06 GP GXP

exactly and people dont realize all of that..
    im mostly on tech thats why i said this. . . lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information