00ls1bird

tuning a stock car

I am thinking of tuning my basically stock car. I have an SLP lid and the FRA mod. A local dyno shop has a deal where if you buy a predator tuner they will tune your car together with there dyno. Total cost 440 bucks. Also says they will retune if I ad mods within a year. Is this worth it on a near stock motor. What kind of gains if any?

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You can get a few ponies with a tune but personally I wouldnt waste the money. I also wouldnt waste the money for a hand held tuner. For another $100 you can get HPtuners with endless possibilites for tuning.

Just my $.02

I think that sounds like a pretty good deal. If you dont plan on changing internals and just adding headers and other bolt-ons I might think about that. The handheld tuners are 400.00 by themselves so if they are going to dyno tune it too thats not a bad deal.
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

White
    98 Trans Am

i think it's a good deal. $400-$550 is about what a custom dyno tune goes for i think so you're getting a big discount. make sure they are good tuners. also it's a good deal but it depends on if you need it. if you will mod the car like headers you will absolutely need a tune. also that 1yr thing sounds weird. usually you pay full price first time and like $75 for each retune after that.

but now that i think about it. if they are tuning for you why would you need the hand held? well, sell it on ebay and you have a cheap tune if you get most of your money back!

Quote Originally Posted by csteingraber
    but now that i think about it. if they are tuning for you why would you need the hand held? well, sell it on ebay and you have a cheap tune if you get most of your money back!
    deleting/reading ses codes, returning to stock tune, live monitoring are some of the few the handheld could still be used for.
    It is almost a deal that sounds to good to be true. I wonder if the tune you get will be in the handheld you recieve?

White
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by onyx_rock
    deleting/reading ses codes, returning to stock tune, live monitoring are some of the few the handheld could still be used for.
    It is almost a deal that sounds to good to be true. I wonder if the tune you get will be in the handheld you recieve?

either that or they want to learn how to tune on your car

Black/Gold....Now Sold...
    10th Anny. Firehawk #001

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls1bird
    ...Is this worth it on a near stock motor. What kind of gains if any?
    My car is bone stock, including a paper filter. I went from 286.6rwhp @ 5550rpms, 308.8rwtq @ 4500 rpms to 311.5rwhp @ 5250 rpms and 332.7rwtq @ 3900 rpms. Also, these numbers were on a Mustang Dyno. I still haven't ever dynoed on a DynoJet.

00ls1bird
    Quote Originally Posted by Shpoone
    My car is bone stock, including a paper filter. I went from 286.6rwhp @ 5550rpms, 308.8rwtq @ 4500 rpms to 311.5rwhp @ 5250 rpms and 332.7rwtq @ 3900 rpms. Also, these numbers were on a Mustang Dyno. I still haven't ever dynoed on a DynoJet.
    What did you use to tune your car?

Quote Originally Posted by Shpoone
    Also what parameters did you change -

And back on topic - my car was at 11.4 A/F at 5900 rpm when I dyno'd. If you are anal about every last pony I guess you could do it.

10th Anny. Firehawk #001

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls1bird
    What did you use to tune your car?
    I had it done at a local speed shop, which specializes in FI GM vehicles. I believe (but can't say for sure) that the shop used a combination of LS1 EDIT, and had AutoTap hooked up as well. This shop got an SS to a best of under 9 seconds (can't remember the exact number) in Vegas as I recall, with dynos over 1000rwhp.

10th Anny. Firehawk #001

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731
    Also what parameters did you change -

And back on topic - my car was at 11.4 A/F at 5900 rpm when I dyno'd. If you are anal about every last pony I guess you could do it.
    Again, I'm not sure which codes were altered, so I can't say for sure. As for A/F ratio, 13.0 is coming to mind (remember I'm at around 5400 ft. elevation), but I also can't say for sure on this either. I know, I'm just a plethora of information... As for being anal, the shop freed up 25rwhp (more like 30+ on a DynoJet, as I understand the differences) with just a tune, on a car that is, and will always be, bone stock. I think that was worth it...

Thread Information