Ratdaddy07

tuning nightmare, help!

Finally have all my work done on my 01 TA and now Thunderracing cannot get the tune down. MTI Ls6 ported heads, 228/228-.580/.580-114 cam Pacesetter long tubes and off-road Y Hooker cat-back. LS7 timing cain and oil pump, (06)Z06 clutch, Moser 12 bolt rear-end 410 gears.
    Car fouls the plugs in like 10 minutes! Running incredibly rich. With fresh plugs it runs awesome right at first, then starts with the black smoke and before you know it the plugs are done, pull-em and they are black as hell. Thunder could not get the tune right first blamed it on my throttle body which I ported-I knew that was B.S. but we switched it to humor him same problem, then he said he backed his tune out, same problem. Tried to tell me I had a bent or hanging valve, I knew was B.S. but trailored it back to earles who did a compression test and all is fine there. Everyone is confused, tuners, mechanics and me!!!!!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Isnt FMS close by? I thought Geoff was pretty good at tuning So the car is running too rich? How are the O2 sensors reading? Is this just at idle or while driving? A ported TB wouldnt be causing you to run rich. Lean if anything. That is also a small cam, so it shouldnt be that hard to tune. Are the heads brand new? Was the cam installed dot to dot?

Ratdaddy07
    Earls was going to check the o2 sensors this morning but why would that cause the problem? That is exactly what I said about the throttle body but I think the guy was grasping at straws at that point and maybe trying to sell me a new one. Futral is just as close but I already paid thunder because the first tune was done by mail as they did not have dyno session room for weeks, then we were going to fine tune it on the dyno but the tune by mail was so bad I had to trailer to them now I have nothing because he says he backed the tune out completely. The heads and cam both new cam is from the guy who did the heads. Didn't think .580 lift was all that small but I know it should be no problem to make driveable especially being 114 LSA.

Ratdaddy07
    Oh and it is both at idle and running or even sitting there with your foot on the throttle at 3grand. No matter what it is like 10 minutes of running fine then everything starts going south.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

comparing it to most other cams out now, it is small. I understand the deal with TR doing the mail order tune, so now you're stuck with them. Did you do a case relearn? Its possible it may need that done. Im trying not to grasp at straws here either, but this is a tough one, i admit it.

Ratdaddy07
    Tell me about it. Stressing me bad. I do appreciate your time! Explain a case re-learn, is this something the tuner should do or can I?

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

something the tuner should do. check this out:
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...t=case+relearn

What do your plugs look like? do they have oil on them?

Ratdaddy07
    No thank God! They are black, I mean solid black but no oil that I see. Compression check is fine also.

Ratdaddy07
    O.K. now that sounds right. Earl(my mechanic) said it looked to him like something with the crank or cam sensor. Thanks I am going to call the mechanic and Thunder, oh and CROSS MY F
    INGERS!

Ratdaddy07
    Could it be my injectors. Earl pulled my injectors and said they or gummed up. I would think this would cause lean not rich but he says they can just as easily stick open. He had them cleaned and will replace this afternoon. I have my fingers crossed. I called Thunder and the programmer thinks we may have found the problem as well. Do you think there is any reason now why I should keep the stock throttle body thunder replaced my ported one with? Does that really cause a programmer problems?

red
    '90 5.0 LX

I had an injector go bad, causing me grief last month. Not sure what came first, but my sp wire was bad and I was fouling plugs bad too (in the 5th cylinder). Swapped out the injector for a new one, changed the plug and wire and it's running great now.

Ratdaddy07
    So I should probably just go ahead and change the plug wires. I have 117 already on the car before the work and have never changed the wires. Any suggestions on brand?

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Brian, Where are you located.? There is a tuner in NJ who is incredible with LS tunes, he actually works directly with LSEdit who is also based in NJ, between the 2 of them they should be able to figure it out. If NJ is a possibility for you let me know and I will send you the info. I am running a much more agressive CAM,a nd a very elaborate valvetrain, and my car was tuned inNJ and it runs great, no probels at all.

Ratdaddy07
    Thanks but I am in La. wish I would have been in NJ sounds like this would be over by now. The good news is I think we have it. Turns out one injector was spraying eraticly and one was stuck open. Just weird that it pops up now but the car has sat quite a bit in the last several months so the fuel probably broke down and got gummie. Either way I pick the car up today and I can actually drive it until next week when I go back to Thunder for final tune. Thanks everyone for the time and help, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thread Information