Thread: Tuning?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

Tuning?

ok the questions i have a probably dumb but im going to ask anyway. i have a 98 ss and want to put headers, ls6 intake, and a cam. i need a tune. so can i buy something like the hypertech programmer and do it myself? or what exactly do i need to tune on the engine. if i buy the headers and intake will i even need a tune at all?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    ok the questions i have a probably dumb but im going to ask anyway. i have a 98 ss and want to put headers, ls6 intake, and a cam. i need a tune. so can i buy something like the hypertech programmer and do it myself? or what exactly do i need to tune on the engine. if i buy the headers and intake will i even need a tune at all?
    1st id stay away from all handhelds, they are expensive and very limited on the tuning, with most of the power coming from leaning your motor out.
    if all you plan on doing for awhile is headers and intake (ls6 intakes have no egr so your ses light will stay on) i would go with a mail order tune from someone like Frost on here from LSXtune.com. he is very good, quick turn around and cheaper than a handheld.
    if you go with a cam, you will need a tune. id get a pro to tune it on a dyno or street tune it

black
    1998 Camaro SS

what is street tuning? and when they dyno or street tune what exactly do they do? just change timing? im just curious what all they do. i dont need shift points changed bc i have m6 and skip shift is already eliminated. and frost does tuning right? can he do a tune for when the cam is in?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    what is street tuning? and when they dyno or street tune what exactly do they do? just change timing? im just curious what all they do. i dont need shift points changed bc i have m6 and skip shift is already eliminated. and frost does tuning right? can he do a tune for when the cam is in?
    a street tune is where the tuner sits in passenger seat and has you drive around while they get you car tuned in for more real world driving. the dyno tune is more for wide open throttle tuning.
    yup Frost does tuning

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

where can you get street tunes at.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

ALL GOOD TUNES (except for cars with bolt ons) REQUIRE STREET TIME; period. Bolt-ons cars GET street time when the cars are brought to me in addition to the dyno. Mail order tuning is the only and obvious exception.

Black
    2000 Trans am ls1

ya well i dont really feel like driving to VA from MO. know what i mean if i can find a good tune here i will take it but so far no luck. and every one on here is proud of your work.

Thread Information