Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    98 Z28

TOO much advance

It seems that the timing in my car may be a bit to advanced at WOT. Right at 5 to 6 grand. I get the advanced to much noise from the motor.(no spray) The thing is i have a stock tune? I did do a motor swap last year my camaro is a 98 the new motor is a 99. Most of the sensors are my old ones.

The real question is, What tells the computer to advance? I also do not want to spend the money on a tune if i just need to retard the timing..

WTF? can i do thanks........ Brian

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Try a new/different MAF... if the engine is stock and calibration matches (same injectors) and it is also stock, the best odds are that it is lean knock.

without tuning you can't adjust your timing in any fashion that would be useful for your application.

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Try a new/different MAF... if the engine is stock and calibration matches (same injectors) and it is also stock, the best odds are that it is lean knock.

without tuning you can't adjust your timing in any fashion that would be useful for your application.
    I tried that too.. Well its not a new MAF but a differnt one from a buddy and still the same thing. I did notice last night while it was cool that it did not knock/tomuchadvance as much. Same (stock) injectors the 98's are bigger than the 99's. Well you know that i just saw your (125 tune) sig. Maybe air Air Charge Temp Sensor? I know there is a ACT that lies to the computer about the in-coming air temp.. Does that advance the timing also..(stock ACT)

Thanks for your help Brian

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just to clarify for my own purposes...you have a complete 99 engine running on a 98 pcm? What injectors are you using and what parts did you carry over?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    just to clarify for my own purposes...you have a complete 99 engine running on a 98 pcm? What injectors are you using and what parts did you carry over?
    x2..99 injectors are different then 98..

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    x2..99 injectors are different then 98..
    yes sir they are larger.

"just to clarify for my own purposes...you have a complete 99 engine running on a 98 pcm? What injectors are you using and what parts did you carry over?"

YES............98 injectors, 98 pcm, 98 wire harness.. The only the temp sensor carried over from 98 to the 99.

Black
    98 Z28

I dont want to pay 450-500 bucks for a tune. Anyone know of a computer tech/hp tuner/LS1 edit out there thats knows their sh*it. That can tell me what the heck is going on. It needs to be put on a computer so i can see the lean/knock/tomuchadvance.
    I have done all i can do. thanks Brian houston area

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mynumber1hater View Post
    I dont want to pay 450-500 bucks for a tune. Anyone know of a computer tech/hp tuner/LS1 edit out there thats knows their sh*it. That can tell me what the heck is going on. It needs to be put on a computer so i can see the lean/knock/tomuchadvance.
    I have done all i can do. thanks Brian houston area
    frost will hook you up..he did mine and its amazing

Black
    98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    frost will hook you up..he did mine and its amazing
    I did talk with him via email and pm. But the thing is i cant fix this problem with just a tune, when the computer is not in the car. It is an in car problem that only hp tuners exc. would be able to see and fix. I have a 10:30 app. at ARD in houston tx sat morning.

Black
    98 Z28

HEY Frost i just sent you a PM...... get back to me soon.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you have a stock cal and boltons car and you are lean, it's almost a sure bet that your MAF is bad. The factory cal is VERY rich.

Black
    98 Z28

If you have a stock cal and boltons car and you are lean, it's almost a sure bet that your MAF is bad. The factory cal is VERY rich.
    I am a good tech im a power turbine tech. SO with that said, how do i go about checking for a bad MAF? pm sent back

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

PM or here, where do you want me to reply?

Black
    98 Z28

PM or here, where do you want me to reply?

hahaha.. here is cool.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by mynumber1hater View Post
    I am a good tech im a power turbine tech. SO with that said, how do i go about checking for a bad MAF? pm sent back
    I don't know how you can... I log their airflow reporting in Hz and I know at a glance what looks low. When they are on the way out they report low. They control ALL of your fueling over 4K RPMs, so like I said, if you have bolt-ons and are lean with a stock cal, it pretty much just leaves the MAF.

Black
    98 Z28

I don't know how you can... I log their airflow reporting in Hz and I know at a glance what looks low. When they are on the way out they report low. They control ALL of your fueling over 4K RPMs, so like I said, if you have bolt-ons and are lean with a stock cal, it pretty much just leaves the MAF.
    Thats just great... I can test all the sensors on an LS1 but not the one i really need to test...LOL

Where should the air fuel mix be on the dyno sheet??? all the way across the board.. i thought 13.5 was good? Mine starts out at about 12.8 at 3600 rpm then at 3800 to 4000 it rises to 13.6 stays there more or less till 5300 then jumps to13.8, at 5600 spikes a 14... Hey, would you happen to have a bolt on car dyno sheet you could email me? So i could compare it to mine. bdumont1008@yahoo.com

If i put a new MAF (recommend one) and that does not fix it whats next? THANKS for all your help..
    Last edited by mynumber1hater; 05-24-2009 at 05:54 AM.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Like I said, if you have a stock MAF and calibration on a boltons car it should be rich... starting in the high 11s / low 12s and moving to mid low 11s and richer as you go (COT becomes active).

Being that lean really only leaves your MAF, and it's not something we want to try and cover up with tuning.

I don't have a lot of stock (or any) dyno sheets just laying around here, but I don't really put stock cars on the dyno. They usually hit the rollers after a good long workout on the street.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If no codes to indicate speed density, then your buddies MAF isn't OK either.

You only just now went to the dyno and SAW the AFR, how do you know that your friend's unit didn't help from a few days ago?

Black
    98 Z28

If no codes to indicate speed density, then your buddies MAF isn't OK either.

You only just now went to the dyno and SAW the AFR, how do you know that your friend's unit didn't help from a few days ago?
    Picking up a NEW MAF today at ten..... i will let you know... If the MAF does not fix it... I guess the intake my have a crack or leak? I have run alot of spray in the past and may have cracked it.. Unless you think my problem could not be caused by a leaking intake... Or a bad computer?...

Black
    98 Z28

New MAF same dang thing.....lean.. I wonder if the guy that removed the codes jacked with the air/fuel???? I would call but they CLOSED last year.. Would rear O2 Simulators cause this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information