Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Taking it to the next level.

Just ordered HP Tuners Pro through KY Speed together with an LC-1 wideband. Seemed like the next logical step for our car. I've read a couple of the tuning books and have watched and re-watched Banish's video. I also registered at HP Tuners so that I can utilize their forum. Going to be a steep learning curve on this one... but I am way excited for the order to arrive.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I also have that. Its fun to tinker around with for sure. I'm also on HPTuners forum. I bought the wideband O2 also but sold it to my friend...wish I didn't now.

I've gotten alot of usefull information from the HPtuner website and also found a handfull of helpfull people over there as well. Plenty of helpfull people here too.

Glad to hear you made the leap. I think it's something every 4th gen owner should have if you plan to own one of these cars for any length of time. If for nothing else, just the diagnostic abilities alone have been a life saver.

I've had the check engine lights come on (on both cars) more than once, and I would have had to pay a shop check out time (shop labor isn't cheap) on many occasions just to find out what the code might be so I can fix the car properly.
    That ability alone already paid for the cost of HPtuner.

Not to mention the inconvenience of having to drop the car off somewhere and pick it up,,,or worse yet having to wait around for it.

Now I can just plug in the lap top, read the code and fix it, all without leaving the house.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Have you done any data logging with yours? Looks like that may be the first thing I'll be trying. I just received the shipping notice and it looks like it should be here by Wednesday.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

That would be my next step too! Have not done enough research to buy the software yet but I already have a wideband.

Jeff,
    Once you have had time to play around you should let us all know what books were better!

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Have you done any data logging with yours? Looks like that may be the first thing I'll be trying. I just received the shipping notice and it looks like it should be here by Wednesday.
    The very first thing I did, was download and save the stock tune. That way if I screwed something up I could always revert back and start over.

Once I did that,,,yes,,,I started logging things and getting a feel for it. I actually found my factory tune flat sucked. My long term fuel trims on the driver side were in the red zone and practically inoperative. At first I thought I had an 02 problem, but had no codes and the switching of the 02 was fast and crisp. Car ran well enough.

I started tuning the VE tables first. Just using the 02 readings. Funny thing,,,after a couple days of fine tuning that,,,guess what???
    The long term fuel trims came back into line and started working like the other side. I don't quite understand why or how other than the VE tables were just horrible. I played with the timing tables after that and some dinkering with the MAF tables, and some line pressure changes on the trans, and the car picked up 3 tenths and 2 mph with no other changes to the car,,,it was a bone stocker. Needless to say I felt I got my money's worth right then and there. And I was only touching the surface as a beginner.

13.70 at 102 down to 13.40's at 104. The neat part was I could simply flash the stock tune back in right in the pits and make a pass, then flash in the custom tune I had worked on and see the results. Pretty cool stuff.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep, first thing you should do is get familiar with logging and using the histograms.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The LC-1 just arrived.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

here's a few pics from my LC1 install.....if you have any questions just let me know.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=LC1

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    here's a few pics from my LC1 install.....if you have any questions just let me know.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=LC1

Thanks! I remembered this write up and was actually going to search for it.

black
    1998 trans am

Thanks for the purchase Jeff.

also have funn learning the new toys.

Thanks again,
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by marksls1ta View Post
    Thanks for the purchase Jeff.

also have funn learning the new toys.

Thanks again,
    Mark

Always a pleasure doing business with you guys. Thank you!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

The hardest part about tuning in general is simply understanding the logs. Once you understand the data logs, and realize what is going on and why with them, coping and pasting will fall right in line. There are quite a few great detailed write ups on the HPT forum. Look at every sticky in there about 12 times, I still read the sticky's there and I have owned HPT for quite some time now.

Things really do start to fall in place, especially with a good accurate WB!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    The hardest part about tuning in general is simply understanding the logs. Once you understand the data logs, and realize what is going on and why with them, coping and pasting will fall right in line. There are quite a few great detailed write ups on the HPT forum. Look at every sticky in there about 12 times, I still read the sticky's there and I have owned HPT for quite some time now.

Things really do start to fall in place, especially with a good accurate WB!

Exactly what I have been doing. I've read some of the stickies twice already and watched a pile of the vids. May have to go get another laptop -- the wife went and bought one of the minis and I just don't think the screen is going to cut it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

me = jealous

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Exactly what I have been doing. I've read some of the stickies twice already and watched a pile of the vids. May have to go get another laptop -- the wife went and bought one of the minis and I just don't think the screen is going to cut it.
    http://www.intechraoutlet.com/home/

keep an eye out there for a laptop......I've bought two refurbished laptops from those guys over the years and have been happy with both.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

http://www.intechraoutlet.com/home/

keep an eye out there for a laptop......I've bought two refurbished laptops from those guys over the years and have been happy with both.

Thanks! Any idea if the software can be loaded onto more than one computer? It doesn't say and I did not locate an answer on HP Tuners forum yet. I know you need to license each vehicle separately.

It arrived late this afternoon -- here's what you get in the box:

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Software and drivers are installed. Had to load the drivers through the device manager. Kind of interesting, it takes two drivers to run the MPVI as it is a "dual channel USB chip" (whatever that means). Going to go plug it into the car and see what happens.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, you can load it on multiple computers. What you'll have to do then is connect the cable to that computer and it'll get your license info.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

yeah, you can load it on multiple computers. What you'll have to do then is connect the cable to that computer and it'll get your license info.

I see that the license info is stored in the adapter and not on the computer. That's kind of slick. I have a lot of learning to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information